1/32 Hobbycraft Sea Fury

R Palimaka

Hi Ron!

I felt obligated to buy the kit since I had ordered one sight unseen from Leading Edge. That being said, it is a step up from a vacuform (certainly not to the standard of a Dynavector vacuform!) and as I said it reminds me very much of the Matchbox 1/32 kits. I'll probably use the kit as a platform to develop my scratchbuilding skills. The cockpit, wheel wells and landing gear all need help. Then I can use those skills to convert the Matchbox Spitfire 22/24 to a Seafire 47...someday...( wasn't someone doing a resin conversion?) Then maybe after that I will be able to convert the 1/32 Trumpeter Yak-18 into a Fairey Barracuda ;)

I plan to order decals from Canmilair so I can finish it in the early scheme with the tiny blue maple leaf in the standard RAF/RN roundels. I think the Extra Dark Sea Grey all the way down the sides of the fuselage will help to minimize the look of the trenches. It might even fit in the "Under Fifty" Group Build here on LSP.

This kit may suit those who just like to build and display, and if it looks like a Sea Fury, that's great. It could even work as a canvas for those who are more interested in markings schemes than complete accuracy of shape or superdetailing. But...if I really loved the aircraft I would be very disappointed. The Fisher kit is the better way to go. It's like comparing a Trabant and a Mercedes...they're both cars, but that's where the similarity ends.

So, I think I will just enjoy it, improve it to my tastes and skill level and be happy with it. (Isn't that what it's supposed to be about?) I will finally have some time this weekend to get my camera out and will attempt to do a quick review for everyone here unless someone beats me to it.

Cheers,

Richard

P.S. I'll be away on the 19th, so unfortunately won't be able to make the club build day.

Hi Ron!

I felt obligated to buy the kit since I had ordered one sight unseen from Leading Edge. That being said, it is a step up from a vacuform (certainly not to the standard of a Dynavector vacuform!) and as I said it reminds me very much of the Matchbox 1/32 kits. I'll probably use the kit as a platform to develop my scratchbuilding skills. The cockpit, wheel wells and landing gear all need help. Then I can use those skills to convert the Matchbox Spitfire 22/24 to a Seafire 47...someday...( wasn't someone doing a resin conversion?) Then maybe after that I will be able to convert the 1/32 Trumpeter Yak-18 into a Fairey Barracuda ;)

I plan to order decals from Canmilair so I can finish it in the early scheme with the tiny blue maple leaf in the standard RAF/RN roundels. I think the Extra Dark Sea Grey all the way down the sides of the fuselage will help to minimize the look of the trenches. It might even fit in the "Under Fifty" Group Build here on LSP.

This kit may suit those who just like to build and display, and if it looks like a Sea Fury, that's great. It could even work as a canvas for those who are more interested in markings schemes than complete accuracy of shape or superdetailing. But...if I really loved the aircraft I would be very disappointed. The Fisher kit is the better way to go. It's like comparing a Trabant and a Mercedes...they're both cars, but that's where the similarity ends.

So, I think I will just enjoy it, improve it to my tastes and skill level and be happy with it. (Isn't that what it's supposed to be about?) I will finally have some time this weekend to get my camera out and will attempt to do a quick review for everyone here unless someone beats me to it.

Cheers,

Richard

P.S. I'll be away on the 19th, so unfortunately won't be able to make the club build day.

I guess this is wrong place to say it being LSP and all, but I'll hold out and see if the 1:48 Trumpeter kit would make a better starting point for a RCN Sea Fury. I love the plane too, but the Hobbycraft kit is just too work for my lazy soul. I think I'll try to hold out until 2019 and see if Tamiya can pop one out in 1:32. I'll be watching for your updates and progress Richard. I'm sure you'll do an excellent job, see you around the shop someday.

Ron

I think I'll try to hold out until 2019 and see if Tamiya can pop one out in 1:32.

Heh, heh ... I'm older than you, so I can't hold out that long!

As for the 1/48 Trumpeter Sea Fury, it's got to be better than the Hobbycraft offering. Can't wait to see you work your magic on it.

See you around!

Cheers,

Richard

Heh, heh ... I'm older than you, so I can't hold out that long!

As for the 1/48 Trumpeter Sea Fury, it's got to be better than the Hobbycraft offering. Can't wait to see you work your magic on it.

See you around!

Cheers,

Richard

I was in Ottawa yesterday and paid a visit to the aviation museum, stopping by the Sea Fury more than once. I'm pretty excited about building one now. I hope the kit shows up soon.

Ron

Please folks -- a few more details about shape problems? So far, all I've heard is that the canopy needs replacing. Pretty small potatos to be trashing the kit over.

Thanks,

Jim McLaughlin

I'm not sure that anyone is trashing the kit over its shape. Most people are talking about the one piece canopy, lack of acceptable cockpit, lack of engine detail, poor surface detail, etc.

Ron

Finally, here are some images of the kit and its various parts...good and bad. Sorry it took so long. I am planning to send an article to Randy with more photo coverage, but the following should give you an idea what it looks like.

Here is the starboard fuselage, you can decide whether the slope in front of the canopy is too steep. Looking at drawings and photos it does appear too pronounced.

post-181-1200461493.jpg