David Thompson, of UMI models, has passed away.

ssculptor

I have the unhappy task of letting everyone know that my very good friend, David Thompson, has died.

He passed away last Tuesday.

You can access the entire obituary on http://www.goerie.com/obituaries

David served during the Vietnam war and saw a lot of combat. He was a master model builder and was featured in Scale Modeler magazine. He had won the North American Championship for Model Diorama. David was also an avid motorcyclist and a great lover of animals. Friends are invited to call at the John J. Quinn Funeral Home, West 9th & Liberty St. Monday from 2-5 & 7-9 p.m. and are invited to attend Funeral Services there Tuesday at 11:00 a.m. Private burial will be in Gate of Heaven Cemetery.

Thanks for the news Stephen...sorry that you had to be the bearer of bad news.

What a terrible shame. I'll miss the odd PM with Dave and having a good laugh at his posts. He really became a great participating member in the LSP community.

A true patriot and a man wounded by the service he gave when asked by his country.

My deepest condolences to Umi and Alexander.

Matty :) B)

A sad day for the modeling community. Dave was a great guy.

My prayers, condolences, and sympathies go out to his friends and family.

Fair winds and following seas my friend.

Jeff

I guess I will never know now what his secret Japanese project was...

Jay

I guess I can reveal it now.

David's secret project was a very accurate 1/32 Rex.

I had given David my Revell mid-wing George kit and he used that as the beginning of his master.

He discovered that the existing floats for other Rex conversions were off so he mastered his own, along with the correct struts. He did a new interior for it as the original Revell cockpit area was a joke.

David did a lot of research for his models and by the time he started on his masters he probably knew as much as, and usually a whole lot more than anybody else in the USA about the airplane he was building.

He had a second secret project under way, the Staggerwing Beechcraft in 1/32. We both used to laugh about the absolute toy that ITC had put out in the 1950's. We laughed even more about the later model kit of the Staggerwing that was issued by a different party as it kept so many of the original's errors.

I miss David very much. He was a real friend and they are very rare.

I first got in touch with Dave over a year ago regarding his Oscar cowling, he then told me of his plans for a Rex conversion, sad that he didn't finish it, but I hope his nearest and dearest can look on his life as one fulfilled. RIP