Spitfire MkII

Koala

Nice clean build there Koala. I think tho that spinners were black until December 1940 when Sky spinners and bands were ordered.

M

M

...check your references or ask a boffin :)

would be an easy fix.

Koala,

Superb little build there my friend. I enjoyed watching your build, and learned a lot from watching you make it. It looks very clean and effective in its minimal weathering state. Another master class in Spifire building I think.

Regards

Derek

I nearly missed this one and didn't give comment on it.

Let me see...what can I say about this one?

IT'S GREAT !!

You rated yourself far to low on your paintjob. I feel it's just the strongpoint !

Well done model.

Koala, as a "fresh from the workshop" airframe, your model is beautifully built, and finished, and to forearm you, against certain "experts," may I make the following observations:- later mark II Spitfires had the same oil cooler as the V (from April 1941;) the crowbar was introduced, as an early mod, in the V production run, so there would be every likelihood of them being retrofitted to a II. The order, for Sky spinners, and tail bands, was issued 27-11-40; there's a photo of P7618, EB-Z, of 41 Squadron, complete with these markings. I'm glad that you decided to have the serial no.; it was issued, and stayed with, the airframe, throughout production.

Edgar

Many sincere thanks once more for the kind words gents. I wish that I could build and paint half as well as most of you guys, but its a great boost to my modeller's ego to receive such compliments. B)

As far as the sky nose and tail band goes, my meagre research gave me the feeling that all Castle Bromwich production in 1940 was focused solely 1n MKIIs. I kind of got the idea from somewhere that all MkIIs came out with the sky scheme.

Aerodata International's Classic Fighters and Bombers of World War II provides a profile on Pg 32 of a 65Sq MkIIA for "July 1941" with the same scheme as I have done except for the addition of 50" underwing roundels, which the same publication says were re-introduced in August.

Anyway... its done now and with its new owner. It was a pleasure to present it and I'm chuffed that I've delivered on my promise to her in a reasonably quick timeframe.

Cheers again.

PS. Put me down for one of the new tool Spitfires for sure!

post-697-1154251274_thumb.jpg

Excellent work mate! The spit has turned out great! And you are a good soul for making that lady so happy! A nice and personal touch to the hobby! Thanks for sharing this!!

Cheers

Alan B)

P.s what's up next on the bench? :D

Koala, I thinks you have done an old woman a great service. I am sure she wil get a great deal of satisfaction from that model, and you've done a fantastic job to boot. My hat is off to you sir.

cheers from "on top" Mike

Hey Koala, I seem to have missed this thread altogether, how the hell did that happen with a spitfire build? Well done indeed mate. That is one lovely, clean machine you made and it looks absolutely great. Could never have done better myself, when you get used to weathering the planes to hell it becomes difficult to keep it clean. Well done again.