BIG progress tonight, red striping is complete!
In the promo renderings certain parts of the plane are a brighter white. I masked those off and shot the same MCW white through my Sotar airbrush at 10psi. This gave a distictly brighter finish than the Paasche single action I used for the large surfaces.
Maketar paint masks arrived today and i put them to good use. I noticed after removing them that there is a much finer demarcation line between layers, better than 3M fine line pinstriping. Maybe half as thick i would guess.
I made the masks by first taping tracing paper to the plane, sketching the curves i wanted, and then transferring those to a light piece of cardstock. I used the cardstock to layout the pattern on the Maketar masks and cut them out with a fresh #11.
After applying the mask I lightly sanded the white with a 600 grit pad to rough it up a little so the red would have something to stick to. RCW recommends painting the clear coat, or next paint layer i would assume, within 8hrs and since it had been longer it needed some prep i thought.