Preview: HK Models 1/32 B-17E/F

LSP_Kevin

As far as original parts go, I remember reading a couple of things years ago.

The Memphis Belle was moved off her concrete pedestal and underwent several "mini restorations" before offically going on display on Mud Island, years later..

During this time a early type top turret dome was acquired and replaced the later type dome that had been installed some time during her stint as a "trainer".  stint.

So while the turret dome is the correct type, it is not original to the Memphis Belle herself.

Minor point -- just trivia.

Post restoration, she sported a G type nosepiece for awhile, until the correct F-type was again fitted.

I believe the original was found to be cracked. I don't know if it was repaired and polished or if a replacement was fabricated.

Maybe someone down in Memphis, who was involved with the work done, would know if it is original or not.

As far as the HK kit, looks like it there's both good and bad points.

To HK's credit they did  a lot more then give you a new nose ---- but probably not enough to satisfy everyone. .

Think I'll buy one and then hire braman104 (Craig) to do a commision build in his spare time!

Terry

Actually, the turret dome provided with the HK kit is a Type 2. The "Memphis Belle" had a Type 3 during her combat days. Most airplanes at that time did indeed have the 2 but somehow or the other the Belle gained a 3.

In this photo you can see the dome does not have that large bit of metal behind the gunners head:

Note%20wheel%20covers%201_zpsrpne22fo.jp

Here are the first two dome types (very little difference, just removed the bar in the middle of the gunners forward view):

Domes%201%20and%202_zpsuvh4tijz.jpg

And here are 3 and 4:

Domes%203%20and%204_zpseld2jkic.jpg

Edited by Karl H

Think I'll buy one and then hire braman104 (Craig) to do a commision build in his spare time!

Terry

Hahaha! LOL Terry :) Yep I'm on it. I probably do owe you one ;)

There's some fascinating discussion going on here. Just when I thought I was getting to know the big girl.......

Craig

Karl,

I think you need to be hired as a consultant by the USAF Museum on their restoration of the Memphis Belle and Swoose! Also, I certainly hope that HK, or someone on their behalf, is following your posts. Good information here!

Bill M.

I don't have either kit, so all I have seen is a review of the F that had a photo of the frame for a Type 2. The G kit could very well have had a Type 3. Perhaps someone with the G kit can provide a photo of the turret dome? Logically, it should have had a 5 or a 6 as those were most common on the G's.

This sprue has what looks to be a Type 1 as it has the extra bar in front of the gunner:

HK%20turret%20structure_zpsqc9nya0u.jpg

This sprue has what might be a Type 6:

HK%20turret%20structure%20002_zpshnk5drf

Here is the Type 6:

Type%206_zpsuqpojgaj.jpg[/url]

If someone can get a closeup of the one for the G kit, we can determine which it is.

Edited by Karl H

It now has the two different sprues (my error). The one on the built up G is a Type 6. The Type 3 has a strip in the middle of the back.

Here is a type 4. The main difference between it and a 3 id the raised sighting panel. But as you see, it has a joint in the back:

turret2_zpspmqhpt0w.jpg

Here is a Type 6 (no center structure in the back):

DSC00502_zps2mynap7d.jpg

Edited by Karl H

I'm confused. Isn't the Belle supposed to be a marking scheme in the kit? If so, wouldn't you want to include the right parts? I know this is only a preview of a test shot, but I would expect that the top turret would be one of the items to get right, or am I all wet?

Brad