1:32 Hasegawa P-47 D WIP Weathering.

Ralph Riese

Hasegawa's 32nd scale P-47D on the way to representing an RAF Thunderbolt II. Apologies to those who might have seen it over on Hyperscale's Plastic Pics.

1-44.jpg

Tried an oil wash in the recessed detail but it looked like morse code when dry, so went over it with a watercolour wash. The added rivets were too fine to hold either of the wash media - most likely filled up by the clear gloss coat.

2-44.jpg

The Testors Dullcote levellled all but the strongest panel variation paintwork.

3-44.jpg

Dullocte tinted with some Tamiya XF-1 Flat Black and XF-64 Red Brown was fluffed/mottled about the inboard wing areas and then distressed with thinned Games Workshop Mithril Silver. Games Workshop Babab Black wash was then added to the wing root join lined and over the more ham-fusted Mithril Silver brush strokes. 2B pencil was used to distress the Roundel Blue theatre stripes. Still thinking about how to blend the very clean wing panels into the dirty inboard areas.

4-43.jpg

Same combination with heavier application of the tinted Dullcote for the exhaust gases and engine panel grime.

5-42.jpg

5-42.jpg

Although the pics don't show it, I've missed the wheel bay cover alignment by a mile. In gluing mine, the narrow upper covers splay outwards (kit brackets look to be too long), and the broader lower covers splay inwards (who knows!). Having gone back and looked (!!), period pics show the covers as nice and square to the struts. An excellent case for the use of the ever-popular Aussie expletive - "Bugger!".

Thanks for looking. Comments always welcome. Cheers, Ralph.

Amazing work Ralph! Your painting and finishing skills are up there with the best I've ever seen, and make me green with envy. I think you had an inadvertent win with the wash not taking to the rivets too, as it looks perfect the way it is. Can't wait to see more!

Kev