1/32 F15C Eagle (Tamiya + extras) ***** FINISHED *****

Jer

Beautiful advanced.

The kit Aires is a bit too short but I think it is not too visible when the canopy is in place.

However the seat is too small and does not give the effect of being up high like on the real F-15.

Compares the size with the seat of theTamiya kit.

And the looks with the seats in the cockpit.

Beautiful advanced.

The kit Aires is a bit too short but I think it is not too visible when the canopy is in place.

However the seat is too small and does not give the effect of being up high like on the real F-15.

Compares the size with the seat of theTamiya kit.

And the looks with the seats in the cockpit.

Hi Babs, thanks for the heads up, I got it wrong and had already drilled a hole in the aries seat to match the kit seat. Hadn't thought of comparing the two.

So I did....and you're right they are of different sizes. The kit part sits over the raised screw thing but the aries must sit on top of it, so I got that wrong!!!!

16173981696_2469a5a605_z.jpg

15580014323_e75f8fab33_z.jpg

Here I have it sat on top of the screw thing having made a little square platform for the seat to sit on. The seat is now raised above the side consoles reflecting what it actually does.

16013750689_d41af05b08_z.jpg

16199847755_d82331f955_z.jpg

Cheers again for the advice, appreciate that!

Welcome Jer, good to see you here on LSP. Thanks for signing up and sharing your Eagle build.

You may or may not know but Gary of GT Resin is a member here so if you need to ask any questions regarding his products you can get the answers straight from the source. Check out the Sponsor forums.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this one all goes together and how the aftermarket fits.

Cheers.

Thanks for the intro geedubelyer,

I am looking forward to seeing this build as well.   It is very exciting with all of the work that went into getting the company started and the products out that they are now being used!

Ok, started to look at commencing the build and I will start as per normal with the pit.

This F15 needs to have had the MSIP upgrades but I'm looking for advice as to which of the following instrument faces is most accurate/correct as it's getting a bit confusing.

I have to hand the Aires late pit, the Eduard Interior PE set and the Wolfpack MSIP II set

16142383746_40bb029f53_z.jpg

I'll appreciate any advice......

Hey Jer,

Welcome!!    My Bitburg Eagle build back from 2013 used many of the same items that you are using, and it may be of some help to you.  

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=1969. is the article

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=46150  is the build.

This is the article Kevin did and the build thread is listed at the bottom of it.

Here are some notes that may help you out and save you some headache:

• Align the cockpit up with the bulkhead behind the pilot seat.  That way you split the difference with the pit being too short.  IT is made too short as it will fit into the Revell F-15C, but no one knows that.......LOL

• For the panel I used the Eduard colored panel with the Aires MFD for the armament system.  for details I sued all kinds of bits for stitches, knobs, etc and PE parts from all of the eduard sets and the Aires set.   I found the Aires dash easier to use and its layout was correct for the period I was building ( 1992 ).    For today the WP is correct.  It really is up to you which way to go if you want to paint or use the printed.   I like the printed when I take the time to add all of the knobs and switches to make it 3D.  

• For your seat,   Aries gives you resin rails for the seat, and PE cross bracing for the frame.  There are lines on the fire wall to mount the rails.  IF you just glue the bottom then you can slide the PE braces behind the rails and once they are in place glue it all to gather.   Check the fit of the seat as it will SLIDE down the rails for installation!!.   You can control the seat height with a rail spacer, so no mounts, like the kit seats use, are necessary.  Use a little water based jell to lube the seat once finished and lacquered to ease the installation and removal.

• For moving back the rear firewall, I cut the side loose and use a spacer to force the top back the required amount so that it fits the kit opening.  Use a blow dryer or hot water to soften the resin before the bending and let it cool after.   Mine stayed pretty well, but I left the spacers in as they do not show.  You will have to extent the cables and hoses as they turn the corner, but that i no big deal.
  • Once you assemble the cockpit with the side walls,   it is work to get ti to fit.   I have installed three of these and all three requires much sanding/thinning of the side walls to get a stress free fuselage closure.   IF THE FUSELAGE WILL NOT CLOSE WITHOUT PRESSURE, THEN YOU ARE FORCING THE COCKPIT CANOPY OPENING TO BE TO WIDE AND THE CANOPY FRAME WILL NOT FIT THE FUSELAGE!!!   Not shouting but this is a big deal.  IF other have not had this problem I would love to know how you did it, as I am 3/3, but also not the sharpest tack in the box either!  LOL.

Contact me if you have any questions, and hope this helps.  Just remember, it is you model and do what makes you happy!!   You will find the folks here just fantastic and very helpful.

Gary

Hey Jer,

Welcome!!    My Bitburg Eagle build back from 2013 used many of the same items that you are using, and it may be of some help to you.  

Contact me if you have any questions, and hope this helps.  Just remember, it is you model and do what makes you happy!!   You will find the folks here just fantastic and very helpful.

Gary

Hi Gary, Thank you for your detailed observations all of which are extremely helpful!!

When i purchased the F15 a couple of months ago I have been using your WIP as a reference so receiving some top tips from you is greatly appreciated. Please feel free to correct me as i bumble my way through the build, I'm not expert and will take any advice onboard.

By the way your burner cans and fuel tanks are superb I hope I do them justice!

Cheers

Jer

Small bit of progress as I try to work out how the pit fits into the fuselage. Also attached the seat side rails and yes Gary the seat goes up and down nicely!

First off I tacked the wheel well in situ so that I can play with the aires pit to find the right position. I removed the rear screw plug thing as it is not catered for on the aries pit.

16191163966_a170b4e711_z.jpg

Underneath the pit I drilled a hole to allow the front screw plug thing to fit into it.

15594645154_2873d48b88_z.jpg

Then i routed and area that the top of the wheel well would sit into....

15594692794_330d75dd0e_z.jpg

Then I removed from the port and starboard side panels a lip along the bottom edge that was jutting out....

16031266197_f257d30442_z.jpg

Then I dropped in the pit and could see how much I needed to remove from the aires pit base plus I found shortening the remaining screw plug thing allowed the pit to drop more. I decided to go with using the screw to fix the pit to the wheel well even though there is a gap at the rear of a few millimetres as the front side panels aligned nicely with the kit shape and the rear will be hidden by the canopy.

16029727250_3ee69c4d19_z.jpg

Dry fit test with both sides of fuselage attached and things look pretty good to me. There's that gap.....

16215217021_0641bf3e84_z.jpg

With the canopy frame attached it looks good to have the option to have the canopy down when displaying, there's a small gap where the fuselage sides are slightly wider than the frame but I'll dremel off a bit more from the sides tomorrow night.

16217100305_67d90dd924_z.jpg

Cheers for looking......

Great job so far, keep the pics coming! BTW: the company is called "Aires", not "Aries"! ;-)

......I got all the letters correct, just not necessarily in the right order!! :)

I'm going to ask the old Bay 5 question again!!

The Eagle i'm depicting is 79-0076 the Bay 5 colour would have been the infamous metalic greeny blue as the colour apparently changed to white from the 80's. I have a pot of the Xtracolor X159 from a previous Eagle build but i'm wondering would anyone know or know how i can find out if it would have been repainted white at a later date?

I have read (on the internet) that its possible an F-15C can be setup to have two fuel tanks on the wing pylons and no centre line fuel tank, just wondering if this is correct?

Also is it possible that an F-15C can have two AIM-9X missiles on each wing pylon, I have seen plenty of picutres showing double AIM-9's or an AIM-9 + AIM-120 but no photos showing two AIM-9X's on each pylon.

Basically I'm hoping its ok to have two winged fuel tanks, with two AIM-9X's and AIM-120's on the stations on the fuselage.

Any advise appreciated.

I'm going to ask the old Bay 5 question again!!

The Eagle i'm depicting is 79-0076 the Bay 5 colour would have been the infamous metalic greeny blue as the colour apparently changed to white from the 80's. I have a pot of the Xtracolor X159 from a previous Eagle build but i'm wondering would anyone know or know how i can find out if it would have been repainted white at a later date?

I have read (on the internet) that its possible an F-15C can be setup to have two fuel tanks on the wing pylons and no centre line fuel tank, just wondering if this is correct?

Also is it possible that an F-15C can have two AIM-9X missiles on each wing pylon, I have seen plenty of picutres showing double AIM-9's or an AIM-9 + AIM-120 but no photos showing two AIM-9X's on each pylon.

Basically I'm hoping its ok to have two winged fuel tanks, with two AIM-9X's and AIM-120's on the stations on the fuselage.

Any advise appreciated.

You are just fine with two wing tanks and the load out you want to carry.    The mission has changes to a more BVR emphasis and the Xis very reliable so you only need two.  For a current bird I would use White.