I/32nd I.D Vacform RAAF Canberra B.20

Piprm

Great scratchbuilding Phil,

How are you going to tacke the cockpit, full interior or only the bits you really can see?

Sat in a Canberra cockpit at the Yorkshire Air Museum at Elvington earlier this month and the

two crewmembers behind the pilot only had two very small square windows directly above them.

And the interior is all black.

Cees

Hi Cees,

Yes .. the interior! .....Hmm!  :hmmm:

Yes, you are familiar with the cockpit - as I am.. It is something else - isn't it!?  .... But, As I said previously .. it's a full kit in itself .. but all painted 'black'!

The other consideration here - is that viewing it all from the outside is minimal (through canopy- from the top ... bombadier front window and the odd 'teenie' window , here and there! Paint it all black and it turns into a black hole!

The layout and detail of the parts involved will be challenging - so I am thinking about these things as i do parts for other areas of the aircraft .

I'm thinking of perhaps supplying key-main components in obvious areas of the cockpit  and let the modeller do the detail parts for the rest of the cockpit  (You need to do something - right?) ... but I haven't made up my mind and also decided on the 'approach' as yet.

(but I have a few ideas in the pipeline).

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Piprm

Now - Time to Tackle - The Thone:

Mw3A5mD.jpg?1

As you can see - A very unique design - so must make a very original part here..

IGcpqWv.jpg

Getting familiar with the seat design....

TXLm7EA.jpg?1

Lk6WcxY.jpg?2

And  study of seat taken back to basic unit during restoration.....

EByQECE.jpg?1

AND NOW INTRODUCING MY FIRST MASTER MB Mk1C :

DEvelZY.jpg?1

And here is the master :  Martin - Baker  Mk 1C seat

Materials?  Anything I could find basically! ...Various resins, plastic sheet,  soldered brass  and solid PVC plastic - carved, drilled, riveted, sanded, detailed and yelled at!...

I'm pleased with results ...  (Me thinks Me gots' Me Mojo back!) :P

....And now resin master copy !

rOdJZ5Q.jpg?1

Eric G helped me get this in resin and now need to finish and detail it, to be ready for the production Mold. I need to produce 2 seats per aircraft. The foot restraint/support  is production mold -ready.

The seat (as you can see) is still being worked on .. and needs to be detailed - mostly in the left-side and top of head-rest areas, to finish it off. Then it will be mold-ready.

The hardest thing was getting info on the top of the seat (Top of Triangular shaped head-rest) ... endless hours trawling the internet found there is nothing out there to show this area, after much trying. 

The issue is , it will be clearly seen through the canopy of the model - viewed from the top!

I had to travel to Amberley Museum to take photos of this area. (thanks to Mr Dave Newsham - Curator of the Museum) to get following photos of seat I had no idea about....

lOp4309.jpg?2

Areas on top of seat - not usually seen!

UU2hDpV.jpg?1

I now have to detail the top of the head-rest and the seat will be ready for production mold.

Edited by Piprm

This is really amazing work, Phil! Doesn't look like you've lost any skills to me!

Kev

Thanks Kev,

I am Glad you like my efforts ... I felt a bit 'shakey' at the start ... but feels like I'm on a roll now... and happy my efforts will benefit others here as well ... cos it really is a impossible kit to build -  if you don't have the 'parts' to go with it!

Hopefully with my parts supplied.. I hope to make this kit into an enjoyable and easier kit to construct... for most skill-level modellers.

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Piprm

Metal Parts:

The first production batch has arrived!

​I am happy with results... many Thanx to my Mate Steve B... for turning these out for me!

yC5ba8R.jpg?1

... so right away I had to test - fit my first examples to make sure everything FITS perfectly!

XHOIIbS.jpg?1

This is a mock-up of the front wheel-well and landing gear metal components to check all mounting/connecting  points... are where they should be! (...and they are! - Phew!)

...as you can see -  there are 3 connection points and the main one to the front wall  (1)  is made strong to carry this beast! (as will all the main strong-points)

The  - - - - - -  is where the bottom of the fuselage should be ......and the 'collar' on the leg should be flush with the lower- line of the fuselage (and it is!)   ^_^  

Here is illustration of front wheel /undercarriage - for reference....

sRtMfYq.png?1

Zm4VORz.jpg?1

ixmNfF2.jpg?1

Edited by Piprm

....From Undercarriage to WHEELS!

These are the sample wheels in Question...

Front wheels and Tyres....

s4fBNkm.jpg

2ZsbiCZ.jpg?1

Main Wheels (wing)...

HoDKlbS.jpg?1

Now .... doing the 'perfect circle' by hand, is never easy... So my good friend and mentor Mr Eric G  came to my rescue and offered his help...

....starting with the main wheels!

2yA3cps.jpg

Eric G used his trusted Lathe to spin up some Canberra wheels for me! (at least the basic shapes... and left the rest to me (fair enough!  ;) )

My other friend Heinz ( also a member here) came to my rescue with the front wheels (the hubs) which he generously gave me permission to use in my project here! (many Thanks my friend!)

I am so grateful to the guys here willing to help out in any way ... it is much appreciated!

... This is the results!

1Oa9wD9.jpg

I will use these as my masters for the production molding for my resin parts....

Edited by Piprm

Complete Front Wheels and Landing Gear /  Wheel Well  - mock up!

N9QkS0A.jpg?1

And.....

kRhJvHW.jpg?1

And....

9J4lupb.jpg?1

Everything FITS as it should !   :thumbsup: 

Now I am starting to 'see' the project - more clearly now!....

well.. at least it is on it's wheels!   :whistle: 

Edited by Piprm