NAA FJ-3 + FJ-4 FURY "Sabre goes Navy" 1:48 scale

fam43

A long tine ago I bought two Matchbox  Fj-4 kits. Very simple kits without panel lines but very cheap. Always wanting some Furys I started an attempt to reshape what I had into reasonable  models.

The methusalem:

3435303433383264.jpg

I try to build the two Furys at the same time. TZhe Matchbox kit is missing any panel details nor does it have undercarriage bays.

Let's start with the FJ-4. A comparison kit and some rework.:

6563343463323339.jpg

3139343439316131.jpg

The same applies for the wings:

6462343666393664.jpg

I've got the Grand Phoenix Fury kit here, and have been wanting to attack it for a while now, but as usual, have not yet done so. How does this old dog Matchbox kit compare to the Grand Phoenix and Hobby Boss kits?

Hi Typhoonattack,

I don't know the Phönix and the Hobbyboss kit. I think they are better than Matchbox but are a lot more expensive.I got the Matchbox for less than five bugs.

Hi Typhoonattack,

I don't know the Phönix and the Hobbyboss kit. I think they are better than Matchbox but are a lot more expensive.I got the Matchbox for less than five bugs.

I can certainly relate to getting them cheaper, if possible. The Grand Phoenix kit appears to me to be very nice, though I've never checked it for overall proportions, and I no longer have my two Hobby Boss kits, so really can't comment, aside to say that they looked great in the box.

As allready  mentioned I used the Matchbox kit for the FJ-3 too. A comparision between the origional FJ-4 and FJ-3.  A lot of putty is needed for the conversion:

6437306261636261.jpg

The modified FJ-4 again:

3665646663336333.jpg

The early FJ-3 with wing slats. Wings are from the Revell Sabredog which were left over from another project: Will be rescribed later.

6338353538366630.jpg

Edited by fam43

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Some time has past since my last post. Had to build a F-86K from Kittyhawk not the easiest kit to bulid. But now I'm back on the Furys.

Since the last post they got their wings and elevators + some racks for ordonance. The FJ-3 only needs a coat of primer and its midnight blue color.

fzangl.jpg

2saflg7.jpg

The FJ-4B has to get some more putty and sanding where the lower wing joins the fuselage than it will get the primer treatment too.

svj339.jpg

anelv8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...