Kudos to Revell Germany! Re: P-51D-5

Astro32

Since I saw that split (similar to the Tamiya split) its seems likely they are going to issue a "fillet-full" version, and like Tamiya, it would save them from having to tool up a whole new fuselage, and would only need a new aft section w/the fillet. 

That would be my guess as well.

Picked up the new Revell P-51-5NA yesterday at Hobbytown. Given the price, I'm pretty impressed with the effort they put in on this kit. I had gathered a few aftermarket goodies many years ago when I was considering taking on the old Hasegawa kit, but thankfully I didn't waste them on that kit. InSight gun sight, Moskit thin metal exhausts...and best of all a set on Mike Grant decals for George Freddy's early Cripes A'Mighty Mustang. I don't think he makes them any longer, so I lucked out by having those in my stash! Looking forward to finally building a nice model of that airplane.

...and best of all a set on Mike Grant decals for George Freddy's early Cripes A'Mighty Mustang. I don't think he makes them any longer, so I lucked out by having those in my stash!

Me too , I've had mine for about 15 years.

No he doesn't make 'em anymore but

Eagle cals has a nice set too. http://www.eagle-editions.com/aircraft-decals-for-the-modeler/32/p-51-mustangs

Have fun :thumbsup:

I took mine out out last night and was getting ready to start it as I am just finishing up my Hobbycraft P-51A. I have to say the detail on most pieces is very good, however a few structural pieces and formers seems a bit soft, rounded edges, and some pieces are a little thicker than they should be, but otherwise, its a beautiful kit. It really has a lot more parts that it should have. It's wings have maybe 20 pieces or more, more than I think is necessary. Its funny because the hobbycraft kit has maybe 40 pieces total! I hope that when I start assembling the kit, I will see the reason for the over engineering, but it really is a good looking example of a mustang.

I have a question for the experts: the webbing visible in the gear bays, right behind the wing leading edge, there are lightening holes between the ribs that are visible on the full size a/c. On the Revell kit, they're recessed dimples. Were these holes doped over with canvas while in service? Or not? Should I open them up?

Here's a quick photo of the WIP on my Revell P-51 (and my Revell Spitfire Mk.IX!)                                                                                         Both hand-painted                    

ouj7sHJ.jpg

I have a question for the experts: the webbing visible in the gear bays, right behind the wing leading edge, there are lightening holes between the ribs that are visible on the full size a/c. On the Revell kit, they're recessed dimples. Were these holes doped over with canvas while in service? Or not? Should I open them up?

They're open but not much behind them.

51__1.jpg

51___2.jpg

hth

Guest The Southern Bandit

Here's a quick photo of the WIP on my Revell P-51 (and my Revell Spitfire Mk.IX!)                                                                                         Both hand-painted                    

ouj7sHJ.jpg

Nice work, when you say hand painted, do you mean hairy brush painted? great work if so ... I still Brush paint a lot of interior, no way can I spray everything, but for exterior its all airbrush these days.

Some folk can brush paint better than I can spray though ... respect is due :)

Guest The Southern Bandit

But as regards this new Revell 1/32 Mustang, easily their best kit in this scale yet by far, value for money is off the scale, if you Like Mustangs this kit is a must, its a masterpiece in its own right.

There is room for extra detail if you want, IP perhaps, but Revell have been smart here, they know if we want an uber detailed Mustang we will go for a Tamiya one at at least three times the price, they are guessing (and guessing well) we do not all need that level of uber detail and engineering that Tamiya offer and this kit is a very good formula to actually sell and get built by us modellers and then crave more.

Heard the current production run has all sold out now ... would not surprise me.

1/32 Kit release of 2017 for sure IMHO :)

Really hope we see more from Revell like this.

Nice work, when you say hand painted, do you mean hairy brush painted? great work if so ... I still Brush paint a lot of interior, no way can I spray everything, but for exterior its all airbrush these days.

Some folk can brush paint better than I can spray though ... respect is due :)

Hairy brushes all the way!  One day I will get an airbrush, but until that day...

Well as soon as the fillet tail is released, I'll be getting one of those too.  Gotta build "Big Beautiful Doll" since one of my favorite R/C pilots flew one and won the Top Gun competition with it.  The late Charlie Chambers. Hmmm... I wonder if I can build this as a scale model of a quarter scale R/C model and not a scale model of a real airplane?  No go figure that one out! LOL!!

Why did Revell do this? Why the vent on the lower forward portside for the battery location on late mark Mustangs? That shouldn't be on a -5 P-51.

Mike Horina

Ive read the instructions (which are color and EXCELLENT btw!) and in them, Revell does have you putty over a lot of stuff, althogh I'm not sure if that was one of them......