Target, I mean tank, I mean Panther.

LSP_Ron

I've never attached tracks to the tank before painting but with this kit you really don't have a lot of choice.

Hey, as a heads up, I've done a couple of these Panther kits w/Magic Tracks before. If you don't glue on the running gear, you can absolutely paint them separately. I usually leave the road wheels, idlers, and drive sprockets off and paint them separately.  Then, after the tracks are painted and ready to go on, I add the road wheels to the hull.  Then, I will slip the idler and sprocket into a track and slip them onto their respective mounting studs (or holes, whichever).  A fully-assembled run of Magic Tracks has enough flexibility to accommodate that kind of handling without breaking.  That's how I've done all of my magic track kits and it seems to work great.  Better than leaving an un-glued gap and trying to fix that up after painting and cleaner than trying to join hull halves after painting too.

Your mileage may vary.  

Hey, as a heads up, I've done a couple of these Panther kits w/Magic Tracks before. If you don't glue on the running gear, you can absolutely paint them separately. I usually leave the road wheels, idlers, and drive sprockets off and paint them separately.  Then, after the tracks are painted and ready to go on, I add the road wheels to the hull.  Then, I will slip the idler and sprocket into a track and slip them onto their respective mounting studs (or holes, whichever).  A fully-assembled run of Magic Tracks has enough flexibility to accommodate that kind of handling without breaking.  That's how I've done all of my magic track kits and it seems to work great.  Better than leaving an un-glued gap and trying to fix that up after painting and cleaner than trying to join hull halves after painting too.

Your mileage may vary.  

That's how I started doing the Magic Tracks as well. It would be nice if Dragon was better about their info on the number of links per run.

The instructions in this Panther kit were horrible,  very tiring to use.

I am going to paint the entire lower hull flat black then add some flat white shading then paint the dark yellow and touch up the tracks etc.  Then add the upper hull and mask off the tracks and spray it then start the weathering.

That's great advise!  I appreciate it. Makes perfect sense. To late for this round but I have several other kits I'll get to try that idea on in the future.

Thx

Happy to help, bud.  Hope it works out on your next build.

That's how I started doing the Magic Tracks as well. It would be nice if Dragon was better about their info on the number of links per run.

As always, Dragon's instructions are the worst part of the kit.  

The instructions in this Panther kit were horrible,  very tiring to use.

I am going to paint the entire lower hull flat black then add some flat white shading then paint the dark yellow and touch up the tracks etc.  Then add the upper hull and mask off the tracks and spray it then start the weathering.

Were they the instructions that showed photographs of the model with arrows pointing to the vague, general location of the part?  I hate those.  What was the kit number on this?  I like a lot of their kits so much, I have just sort of learned to put up with the poor instructions.

Were they the instructions that showed photographs of the model with arrows pointing to the vague, general location of the part?  I hate those.  What was the kit number on this?  I like a lot of their kits so much, I have just sort of learned to put up with the poor instructions.

Yup those are the ones, Kit 6164. I got it really cheap on a Sprue Bros sale about a year ago

Happy to help, bud.  Hope it works out on your next build.

As always, Dragon's instructions are the worst part of the kit.  

Funny you mention this.

I am working on the Wingnut Wings LVG right now, and generally highly dislike their approach to instructions.  They leave a lot to be desired and they remind me very much of the old school Dragon stuff you reference here, which are pretty much universally despised among armor builders.

The Panther is coming along very nicely, by the way, LSP Ron!

Dragon instructions are no big deal once you've built a couple.

I've probably built 12 or so kits so far and I wouldn't say they are no big deal! 

Some are better than others; some are mind bogglingly difficult to work with and all are filled with errors, mis-labeled parts, and mistakes.

Dragon loves to make 18 versions of the same basic kit and then re-hash the original instructions to fit the new boxing.  They usually screw things up hugely when they do that.

Interpreting, figuring out, fixing, and generally working with Dragon instructions is something of a black art.

I do agree, though, that it gets easier the more you work with them.

Overall they are horrific.