1/18TH JSI F-14B Tomcat conversion

A-10LOADER

Steve

Terrific progress on the Big Cat. Some mighty fine work on a very tough project.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks very much Peter, I appreciate all your positive feedback. I'm hoping to be back soon.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Life has a funny way of throwing a wrench in the works, every time I think I can get some bench time in, BANG, something else comes up !! Hopefully not too much longer.

Steve

Don't I know it! Hopefully you can get back to this one soon, Steve.

Kev

• 2 months later...

Greetings everyone,

Happy Father's Day to all the dad's out there.

I finally had some "bench time" this weekend and an update that's worth posting.

Today's update focuses on addressing all the minor problem areas that came to the forefront after priming. I managed to get all those areas re-sanded and some re-scribing put back in some areas.

First up was the area just in front of the windscreen,

Before, very bad gaps and lumpy areas around the forward windscreen.

IMG_5551_zpstnm8y8a4.jpg

and after, much better IMO.

IMG_5671_zpsdiujjzgr.jpg

Another area is where the port side intake meets the body. A large gap that I tried to fill with super glue left some lumpy areas and some gaps. The starboard side needed attention as well.

IMG_5554_zpsek63tcwl.jpg

I decided to try some Vallejo Plastic putty for these areas. It was my first time using this product and I am very happy with the results. We'll see how it looks when primed.

IMG_5557_zpsepdtfjwk.jpg

IMG_5676_zpsg64qoztl.jpg

IMG_5675_zpsacrcgjpg.jpg

Another area that I think I'll use the Vallejo Putty on is when I attach the TCS pod back onto the nose. When I removed it with my saw I took a little too much off and I'm left with a nasty gap. I made a shim out of .010" plastic and it helps bridge the gap.

IMG_5669_zpsfqbtcrxi.jpg

The plan is to re-prime the areas that are sanded thru to plastic and get the airframe is one uniform coat. Then I can spray a little Light Ghost Gray around the TCS attachment point, re-mask the TCS pod and get it glued in place. Once the glue dries then I plan on using the Vallejo putty to blend the pod to the nose, that's the plan anyway, we'll see.

IMG_5670_zpszrabfgdy.jpg

Thanks to those who are still following along,

Steve

Steve, I wouldn't worry too much about the TCS pod, I've got references where its slathered in sealant with no attempt at tidiness, so that's an option!

Thanks Breaker and I have pics of that as well.

Great to see you are back at the bench. Fabulous work, you are really bringing this "toy" to another level!

Thanks very much Ben. Coming from someone of your caliber and what you can accomplish with plastic, means a lot.

Steve