1/18TH JSI F-14B Tomcat conversion

A-10LOADER

Steve,

Are you going to bring one of your cats to MosquitoCon? Ya gotta bring one,,,you get a whole table to yourself!!  I would so love to have one for myself and finish it in the VF-2 gray and white schemes, but with the price tag over a thousand bucks for one of these things, Ill just live vicariously through you.

Geoff

Edited by Ironwing

Steve,

Are you going to bring one of your cats to MosquitoCon? Ya gotta bring one,,,you get a whole table to yourself!!  I would so love to have one for myself and finish it in the VF-2 gray and white schemes, but with the price tag over a thousand bucks for one of these things, Ill just live vicariously through you.

Geoff

Well first off, I doubt I'd bring the VF-154 jet because I really didn't do anything to her, I just built the carrier and the water section. The water section can be removed from the entire display but, the box won't fit thru the doorway without being disassembled, that's why I had to assemble the box in the room. These were really never meant to travel.

As for the VF-103 F-14B, I need to finish her first. This display can travel but, not really sure I would want to risk it.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings everyone,

I just wanted to keep all of you, who are still interested, updated. I really haven't had much time to work on the Big Cat lately but,  I have sanded the entire air frame and I am currently working on fixing some areas that still require attention. After all this time and effort I don't want to skimp on the details at this point just to get her finished, I want her done right.

Thanks for checking in.

Steve

Steve

Just go slow and enjoy the journey

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter but, that in itself is part of the problem. This project was started Feb. 24, 2013, I had no idea what I was getting into nor did I ever believe that I would still be working on her for this long. I don't get a lot of time to model, I've always been a slow builder to begin with and, couple that with SDS (Super Detailer's Syndrome ) and, all the research to get her right well, the journey has been too long and it's no longer fun, at least at this stage of the build. I think / hope things will become fun again when I can see more regular progress. I AM looking forward to painting her, I AM looking forward to decalling her, I AM really looking forward to weathering her it's just at this stage that I'm at now is not enjoyable.

Steve

Wow Steve, That Cat is Awsome looking, very nice display to.

Chris

Thanks for the kind words Chris and thanks for showing interest in this.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings everyone,

Small update for those who are still interested. The entire airframe is sanded and now I've been going back and addressing the "problem areas." The automotive primer that I used is very thick so, I've been using that as filler for these areas. I've been using a paint brush and have been laying on thick coats. Once they dry and settle, I go back and block sand them and re-apply the primer if necessary. Since the jet will be displayed going vertical, you will see every square inch of her. Of course the biggest problem areas are at eye level so, I've been really trying to get these right. This picture here shows one of the trouble spots. The fingers point to the very bad gap between the panels in this area. I also have some very lumpy spots where the front windscreen meets the body because the clear glue did not flow out flat like I thought it would.

IMG_5551_zpstnm8y8a4.jpg

The other area is around the nose gear doors. The panel lines are not consistent because of the super glue I used to glue the doors shut. There was also a huge gap between the panels at the rear of the gear doors.

IMG_5552_zpsixoddkjf.jpg

Another area is where the port side intake meets the body. A large gap that I tried to fill with super glue left some lumpy areas and some gaps. I might try some water-based putty here so I can smooth it out and not have to do any sanding.

IMG_5554_zpsek63tcwl.jpg

I wish I had a better update for you all but, progress has been slow and finding time at the bench has been tough to come by. Thanks for stopping by and having a look.

Steve