Wiring up 1/32 scale radial engines. Your method.

mpk

Hi guys.

I am working on a radial for a Ki-44. There's a great build in the WIP section by Dave J. In it he does a great job of getting 2 wires into a space the looks suitable for only 1.  :goodjob:

I am wondering what is the best way to achieve this effect. Does one drill holes into the ring, glue them underneath...?

How would you achieve this kind of result?

Thanks guys. :)

031.jpg

You and me both, Bill.

All I know is I am heading off to the hardware store. I need to buy some wire. I'm going to get some fuse wire, copper wire and solder. :)

Oh and some lunch. :D

tumblr_lqxe4xH2du1qlff32o1_500.gif

As you know Dale, I just wired mine. I did drill holes in the ring stand offs. Just deep enough to hold the wire. It has been suggested to paint my wires, but to be honest, I haven't figured out how to do it and what color........Harv

When I have done mine, I cut off the stub ends flush to the ring surface and drill the holes into the ring itself. For the leads, I insert the two copper wires into a short section of brass or plastic tube of the appropriate diameter, glue the wires, then cut them off flush with the tube. Now take the tube with the wires, and insert into the holes in the ring. The rest needs no explaining.

Btw- where the stubs were cut off from the ring, I use a sharp needle to create a starting dimple so the drill bit does not walk.

Joe

As you know Dale, I just wired mine. I did drill holes in the ring stand offs. Just deep enough to hold the wire. It has been suggested to paint my wires, but to be honest, I haven't figured out how to do it and what color........Harv

I also use wrapping wire. The 30 AWG is 0.010 inch (.25 mm) diameter for the wire; the plastic coating you can get in just about any color you like.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-AWG-KYNAR-wire-wrap-30-gauge-Kynar-100-FEET-Any-Color-/200406828204?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

I did my TBM engine in red.

IM000442_zpswyvhblnl.jpg

Get Lunch at the hardwarestore? mmmm. Don't wan't to share Lunch with you. Glad to have some teeth left

This explains where my teeth went.  :hmmm:

Yeah you did a good job too. I'll have another look.

When I have done mine, I cut off the stub ends flush to the ring surface and drill the holes into the ring itself. For the leads, I insert the two copper wires into a short section of brass or plastic tube of the appropriate diameter, glue the wires, then cut them off flush with the tube. Now take the tube with the wires, and insert into the holes in the ring. The rest needs no explaining.

Btw- where the stubs were cut off from the ring, I use a sharp needle to create a starting dimple so the drill bit does not walk.

Joe

Thanks Joe.

To be honest, this method may be beyond my meagre abilities at this time. However, I now know it. ;)

I can always try eh? :)

Cheers mate.

I also use wrapping wire. The 30 AWG is 0.010 inch (.25 mm) diameter for the wire; the plastic coating you can get in just about any color you like.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-AWG-KYNAR-wire-wrap-30-gauge-Kynar-100-FEET-Any-Color-/200406828204?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

I did my TBM engine in red.

IM000442_zpswyvhblnl.jpg

That looks amazing Bill. :o

Engine looks great. But aren't the wires supposed to sit in the stubs of the brass ring instead somewhere behind? :hmmm:

I feel confused.

Regards

- dutik

Mate, I'll be lucky if I can get glue on anything. :)

Well, I have two ways to wire my radials:

If the engine is only visible from the front I glue small sections of styrene at the back of the collector ring, invisible from the front, leaving free spaces between each to glue the ignition wires onto the back of the collector ring.

If the engine is visible or the collector ring cast on I cut off the stubs and drill small holes in place of the stubs. Fiddly, but doable.

If you want to go overboard with the detailling you may add some bare metal foil around the base or as "harness" to keep two wires together; insert short brass tubes as "plugs" (Albion Alloys f. e.) or use spark plugs from AM.

Images at my Hellcat build (page 3+) linked down in the signature.

Regards

- dutik

Well, I have two ways to wire my radials:

If the engine is only visible from the front I glue small sections of styrene at the back of the collector ring, invisible from the front, leaving free spaces between each to glue the ignition wires onto the back of the collector ring.

If the engine is visible or the collector ring cast on I cut off the stubs and drill small holes in place of the stubs. Fiddly, but doable.

If you want to go overboard with the detailling you may add some bare metal foil around the base or as "harness" to keep two wires together; insert short brass tubes as "plugs" (Albion Alloys f. e.) or use spark plugs from AM.

Images at my Hellcat build (page 3+) linked down in the signature.

Regards

- dutik

Cheers mate! :D