Bf 110 G4 Nightfighter

imatt88

Ok all,

I didn't want to hijack Chris' thread about the G conversion, so I figured I'd start a new one..

What does the nightfighter conversion entail?

I have the Revell G and from what I can tell, its missing certain items that the real G had, i.e. the upward firing rear guns, and as mentioned, the larger tail wheel.

Probably more, but I'm not sure what else.

The more I read about it and followed Chris' post, the more intrigued I got.

Apperentley, there is more to a G than just slapping on a radar array.

Revell omitted a lot of equipment.

Can any of the required details be sourced from other 110 kits?

OR is scratchbuilding the order of the day?

It would be nice to build an accurate G nightfighiter

Cheers, Ian

We need rounded 109 type spinner and props, modified upper and lower cowls, larger rudders, new rear canopy, and for a night fighter, radar equipment and flame dampers for the exhausts. Not a whole lot really, so surprising in the extreme that such a conversion is not available. Maybe the way to go is to get some aftermarket spinners and props, and some radar gear, and do some self conversion for the rest.

That's actually not bad.

I saw pics of the conversion Chris is looking for and it has the correct spinners/nacelles, the enlarged tail, and some other goodies too

I'll have to look at the pics again, and pay better attention to what's there

Cheers, Ian

Ian,

I've got the Rutman set, which is pretty good but I think an average scratch-builder could replicate most of the detail for the cockpit.  Externally I think the biggest challenge is the rudders which are pretty far off from where the need to be.  I've also got the LSC (it was Super Bug when I bought mine) set which I'll use on the Dragon kit but for the Revell I'm just going to use basic add-ons that don't require major surgery.  The Revell G-4 is far from perfect but still builds up pretty decent.  I'll use the the Airwaves wheels, some new spinners and few other bits and call it good.

I intend to start my all-in build of the Revell kit as soon as I can get to it - probably once the Corsair and long-neglected 190S builds are finished. I'd like to think it will be towards the end of the year; I'm just unsure about which year.

Kev

I intend to start my all-in build of the Revell kit as soon as I can get to it - probably once the Corsair and long-neglected 190S builds are finished. I'd like to think it will be towards the end of the year; I'm just unsure about which year.

Kev

:lol: You and me both, Kev!  With the household goods getting packed up in October I'm really nervous about starting big projects.  Hoping the models survive the move more or less unscathed.

I'll be watching for both your builds.

Hopefully the Rutman set shows up on eBay sometime soon..

I've seen some of Jerry's 190 stuff on there recently

Cheers, Ian

Edited by imatt88

I'll be watching for both your builds.

Hopefully the Rutman set shows up on eBay sometime soon..

I've seen some of Jerry's 190 stuff on there recently

Cheers, Ian

Did you try PMing Jerry?  When I purchased the set from him it was officially "OOP" but he still had a few sets lying around.

Scalewise the Revell kit is quite good with the exeption of the upper cowlings. It needs droptanks under the wings, rescribing of the panel lines, a new canopy (a vac aftermarket is available from Tasman models I believe the name of the company is). The cockpit is very basic as are the wheel bays. Eduard has (had?) a number of etchsets available for the kit.

It is not quite clear to me what the problem with the rudder is. It has the correct shape for a late model G-4.

Hans

Hans,

Thanks for the info. I had no idea about the vac canopy.

I'll see if I can locate one.

I see the Eduard interior/exterior sets on eBay from time to time.

Cheers, Ian

Jays model kits seem to be the only place that has the clear vac canopies. They are made by Tasman. I need to order one for my stalled build, it's in the shelf of doom group build. You may find some info there that may help. I have a few updates to post. Work and real life..... :doh:

Dan