Bf 110 G4 Nightfighter

imatt88

Dan,

I just dredged up your build thread over in the Shelf of Doom group build thread.

Where did you get the props from?

I remember the MDC drop tanks as I 've bought stuff from them before.

I just ordered my vac canopy from Kiwi Models, so I'm to a decent start.

Aries tires will be next on the list, then the correct weapons.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work,

Cheers, Ian

Edited by imatt88

Recently completed a conversion of the Dragon/Cyberhobby 110D to a G, and entered at the recent IPMS USA nationals.  I used the posterior portion of the Tasman vac canopy for this, and it worked out pretty well.  I used Rutman detail parts-cockpit, vertical fins, spinners and props, wheels/tires, Barracuda oil coolers, Eduard PE sets, Peddinghaus decals, decals from the extras bin, Tamiya /Model Master and other Paints.  I had to do extensive work on the nacelles to bring them up to G versions.  Revell flame dampeners and radar masts , Master radar aerials. In other words, a great deal of work. I will try to get some pictures taken this weekend and post them to give an idea to those who are brave.  Come on Eduard, upsize your 1/48th G-  PLEEEEZE. 

Paul,

No, I haven't personally.

Steve, I would love to see your work in progress pics.

The cockpit on my upcoming project is my main concern. Not sure about the nacelles, tho.

So with a bigger powerplants, does that make the engines in the Revell kit incorrect as well?

How were the rear weapons mounted?

Cheers, Ian

Ian,

The props are from Henri Daehne, he only sells on Ebay. He's in Germany and only makes small batches, if you e-mail him and tell him what you need he will put some sets up for bid. His e-mail addy is HenriDaehne@gmx.de  His tag on ebay is mkf2341, real nice gent to work with. I've bought a bunch of sets from him.

There is a Revell Bf-110G-4 on ebay now with both etch sets for $24 + $12 shipping. May be a good deal to get the etch?

The Squadron walk around book is a must if you can find it, very detailed pic's of the G-4 in the RAF museum in England.

Dan

Dan,

Thanks for the heads up. I have the 110 on my watch list now.

I also have the walk around on my watch list as well

I e-mailed Henri on Friday about the props, but haven't heard anything back yet.

Since I posted last, I've been doing more research on the Revell 110g kit. Some say its actually an "F" model

Cheers, Ian

I'm also passionately interested in making a 1/32 scale Bf110G4 having made several 1/48th scale 110s. I have the Revell kit though I must admit I haven't looked at it critically, and also the Dragon Bf110E which I've been "hoarding" for some years pending rumours of a G4 conversion which now isn't going to happen it seems. I've also contacted Henri Daehne recently with no answer yet. For what it's worth if you look in the walkaround section under "Hendon's Messerschmitt Bf110G4" you'll find 79 pictures that I took a couple of years ago with modelling detail in mind.

Max

Yes, that's what I figured. The nice thing about that is that what's in the box is correct for an F nightfighiter.

If you want to model a real G, then you have to do all the mods.

The nightfighter I want to model is a Romanian F, so I probably don't have to go thru all the mods required for a G.

The Romanians used the F with the FuG 202 radar array. Owl models makes the array I need.

Either way, the cockpit is where all the work is needed. That's where we need all the help for our projects.

I would like to see a resin cockpit upgrade set for this kit. With all the resin stuff out there for every model 109,

You think someone would make some upgrades for the 110.

Maybe a job for the 3d printer people?

Cheers, Ian

Edited by imatt88

Rog,

Indeed! I have the Dragon D-1 with the Owl Spanner Anlage resin conversion.

That will be the other nightfighiter I do

Cheers, Ian

I've seen the 1/32 version of that conversion around on here at some point in the past ... I think someone built it? ...

But to give credit to Dan ... The F-4 was the first variant where the aircraft was specifically designed for a night fighter role - complete with an extra seat for the magician with the black box.

We are in need of a dedicated G series in new tool ... preferably one that gives you the in-box option of a G-2 heavy fighter or G-4 night fighter.

I'd cheekily ask for an R-1 (BK-3.7 gun pack) to be included for a G-2 option ... but I'd settle for an AM resin addition considering Master, RB Productions and I think (maybe?) Aber have turned metal AM barrels available for the BK-3.7.

I'm not touching the old Revell kit with a barge pole ... Of course YOUR skill set might be up there ... but mine definitely isn't - so if you can make a winner? ... Awesome! :D

I wrestled with the C-4 before:

1/ suffering concussion due to banging my head against a wall

2/ depositing the whole mess in the round filing cabinet.

3/ the Dragon kits came out - ushering in some sanity ... they are not absolutely perfect by any means but a close as you're likely to get!!

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

With ZM doing a set of twins to come out soon,wouldn't it be awesome if they kept all momentum moving forward with a G series 110?

(Referring the the Ki-45 and Hs 129). Sorry, lost in a great idea there for a moment. Ha.

Troy