Airfix 1:24 Me Bf 109E-4 Revisit after 40 Years

CraigH

Hi, I restarted in the modelling world after a 40 plus year layoff with the Airfix Junkers 87 in 1/24. I need to digout the photos to repost it after the photobucket ripoff. Next up here's my ongoing attempt at the next of the old 1/24 "superkits" The Bf 109E-4. I just need more time to post what I've been doing :rolleyes:  
I've been on with the Bf 109E-4 for a couple of months and here's the progress so far.

As suggested in the post title, I last built this model in the 70s and a lot has changed since then
I'm sure we all know the fit isn't great and the detail a little lacking but I've tried to scratch build some bits to compensate

Engine first,not much to tell. It's not great detail but I Dremmelled off the moulded pipes etc and added some of my own. Due to the build a lot of the engine isn't visible so no point going too much to town. Painted in black with a little gunmetal added. Weathered with an oil wash and some oil stains etc added. Also I've added engine numbers to try and add a little realism

20161205_124920.thumb.jpg.65db6c49f01d1220161205_124910.thumb.jpg.b8673f6ef546f3

20170212_141445.thumb.jpg.2c6630a9b4465a20170212_141530.thumb.jpg.bd7b6053a83451

20170212_141556.thumb.jpg.e8f6c25c621a53

I'll try and get an update on later with cockpit build etc.

As ever any comments, advice are most welcome

Regards

Craig

So, onto the cockpit. It's a bit sparse by todays' standards but I've tried to pep it up a bit

First, before any huge debate I've used Humbrol RLM02 as my weapon of choice. This will be painted as a BoB from Aug 1940 so I'm happy that the interior should be RLM02.

As I said it's a bit bare in there so I've made a seat back from Milliput and distressed it up a bit. Also used the RB seat harness which I think is brilliant and forms a little project all its own (especially at 54 YoA and with dodgy eyes close up)

gN9mqM4l.jpg

I got all the parts in. This pic shows the rudder pedals with the addition of the red hydraulic brake lines and the foot holders made from lead wire. It also show the full metal replacement instrument panel from Airscale. Pricey but worth it. If anyone has any opinions on the Yahu ready made ones I'd be grateful as next up for me is the 1:24 Hurricane

Gjk4fKfl.jpg

Left side wall I've added various pipes etc and lots of decals from Airscales Luftwaffe placards set. Also managed an attempt at the harness tensioning device from behind the seat

RujTtiZl.jpg

Right side wall saw me remove the moulded wiring and replace it with red telephone wire. The oxygen regulator got a new coiled pipe from copper wire and some decals on the valves. A blue oxygen pipe was added running up the side wall to the pilots connection. The map was downloaded from an original Luftwaffe one and shrunk and printed(I've since taken the bottom off at an angle to make it sit right in the pocket as you can see in the later pic)

avLyPvrl.jpg

F7I6bRZl.jpg

211gHGpl.jpg

Top view shows a bit of weathering and staining etc. 

DMTmQ8gl.jpg

Next chapter to follow  :doh: 

I've decided to do a bit of a detour and get the wings sorted before looking at the fuselage. The wings were a terrible fit so I had to kidnap the wife's nail sanding sponge block and work it to death to get a decent fit. Wheel wells were blocked in with plastic sheet and a bit of strip for the formers along the floor of the wells

NStwSkul.jpg

Bit of an oil wash and they don't look too bad. I've tried using some masking tape cut to size, painted and stitching pencilled in to represent the canvas cover that protects the wheel well surround. Still a bit of sanding etc needed round here. 

The guns were painted with a mix of gunmetal with a touch of black then dry brushed silver and a silver crayon used to add some wear and tear.

The wing radiators were again a poor fit. I ditched the horrid plastic kit grilles and fitted some fine wire mesh instead. Even though the grilles sit quite deep in the housing so aren't that prominent, it still adds a more realistic touch....or at least I think so.

rQ8YH5Gl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

First, before any huge debate I've used Humbrol RLM02 as my weapon of choice. This will be painted as a BoB from Aug 1940 so I'm happy that the interior should be RLM02.

As I said it's a bit bare in there so I've made a seat back from Milliput and distressed it up a bit. Also used the RB seat harness which I think is brilliant and forms a little project all its own (especially at 54 YoA and with dodgy eyes close up)

gN9mqM4l.jpg

I got all the parts in. This pic shows the rudder pedals with the addition of the red hydraulic brake lines and the foot holders made from lead wire. It also show the full metal replacement instrument panel from Airscale. Pricey but worth it. If anyone has any opinions on the Yahu ready made ones I'd be grateful as next up for me is the 1:24 Hurricane

Gjk4fKfl.jpg

Left side wall I've added various pipes etc and lots of decals from Airscales Luftwaffe placards set. Also managed an attempt at the harness tensioning device from behind the seat

RujTtiZl.jpg

Right side wall saw me remove the moulded wiring and replace it with red telephone wire. The oxygen regulator got a new coiled pipe from copper wire and some decals on the valves. A blue oxygen pipe was added running up the side wall to the pilots connection. The map was downloaded from an original Luftwaffe one and shrunk and printed(I've since taken the bottom off at an angle to make it sit right in the pocket as you can see in the later pic)

avLyPvrl.jpg

F7I6bRZl.jpg

211gHGpl.jpg

Top view shows a bit of weathering and staining etc. 

DMTmQ8gl.jpg

Next chapter to follow   :doh: 

I've decided to do a bit of a detour and get the wings sorted before looking at the fuselage. The wings were a terrible fit so I had to kidnap the wife's nail sanding sponge block and work it to death to get a decent fit. Wheel wells were blocked in with plastic sheet and a bit of strip for the formers along the floor of the wells

NStwSkul.jpg

Bit of an oil wash and they don't look too bad. I've tried using some masking tape cut to size, painted and stitching pencilled in to represent the canvas cover that protects the wheel well surround. Still a bit of sanding etc needed round here. 

The guns were painted with a mix of gunmetal with a touch of black then dry brushed silver and a silver crayon used to add some wear and tear.

The wing radiators were again a poor fit. I ditched the horrid plastic kit grilles and fitted some fine wire mesh instead. Even though the grilles sit quite deep in the housing so aren't that prominent, it still adds a more realistic touch....or at least I think so.

rQ8YH5Gl.jpg

Wings done and as you'll see from the earlier fuselage pics, I did manage to finally get the two halves together. Obviously the engine went inbetween and I added some wiring etc to the cowling gun platform

iq6sS7cl.jpg

CtCn1s2l.jpg

ZiS8kaal.jpg

Wings on, canopy masked and she was ready for painting  

I did the standard RLM02 grey/RLM71 green camo on the uppers and RLM65 blue underneath and well up the sides. This, I believe was the factory default for the E-4 in 1940. Wicks plane ws, at some point, a yellow nosed b****** so I went for this.

Decals came next and I used the Techmod ones for the E-4. They are very thin and fiddly, especially the small ones for the fuel filler instructions etc. But finally done. Micro sol and set used to conform them to the contours. Here's some overview pics.

4wSkLvZl.jpg

9F8VGIal.jpg

lXiRdEUl.jpg

BWZib0ll.jpg

5sVTwDVl.jpg

I decided to add the stab markings first then the dappled camo over the RLM 65 sides that characterised JG2 aircraft. I'm sure you'll let me know if it looks OK   

ewrPGGGl.jpg 

As far as the dappled effect goes, I first tried the cut of stubbly brush but didn't like it so I ended up with small pieces of a 50p Wilkinsons bath sponge (the rougher section) and this seemed to work well. I built it up in layers over several days to try and achieve the desired effect

Ljhsjjzl.jpg

iGkFr6kl.jpg

Psi6YcLl.jpg

Canopy masks off and weathering here we come

LWGCnjBl.jpg

Edited by CraigH

Pin wash for all the panel lines first

49vsbizl.jpg

Underneath, I just added some subtle shading to represent muck and dust

Some spots of paint added to the crosses to represent a hasty repaint in the field and a spray with a dilute black/grey mixture to try and give a bit of ageing.

1D3mqlgl.jpg

I've also added some wire at the back to represent the rudder linkage assembly.

pMbaFzJl.jpg

Oil and fuel stains, not my strong point :-) 

e4MiLU1l.jpg

sprung wire line for the canopy

LdkVYgvl.jpg

Black pastels used for the gun staining both cowl guns and wing guns

49vsbizl.jpg

hfq9ldSl.jpg

I've looked hard and come to the conclusion that exhaust staining wasn't too marked on the 109 so I've kept it rather subtle

4Zy1oedl.jpg

LWGCnjBl.jpg

welcome back to the fold (and to the forum) :)

the 109 looks fantastic - I love the IP you did a fabulous job on it - I find it exceptionally rewarding to see our stuff 'in action' :)

Peter

Hi Peter 

Thanks very much. Your IPs are brilliant. 

Craig,

:post1: 

As you've discovered, more has changed then stayed the same over that 40 years.  When I returned to the hobby after 35 years, my learning curve was really steep. Come to think of it, I'm still on that curve. 

Very nice effort on the Me 109E-4. 

Joel

Craig,

:post1:

As you've discovered, more has changed then stayed the same over that 40 years.  When I returned to the hobby after 35 years, my learning curve was really steep. Come to think of it, I'm still on that curve. 

Very nice effort on the Me 109E-4. 

Joel

Hi Joel

Thanks for the reply. It's really nice to think your peers think you're doing an OK job on the builds

I've just started the Airfix 1:24 Hurricane Mk1 and I'm documenting this build much better than I did the 109. Also I need to read a few posts on taking better photos of my work. I'm not really happy with how these turned out. Might be taking a few more snaps over the next week.  :oops: