Trumpeter 1/32 P-47D-27 in French Service

DoogsATX

Finished up this spring. I found Trumpeter's Jug to be, for lack of a better term, a mother******. Beautiful in some ways, infuriating in others. Ultimately I'm glad I built it, but for all that I love Jugs, I'm tempted to hold out for the sooner-or-later-inevitable 1/32 Tamiya P-47 before tackling another.

9196462499_5e86096e60_b.jpg
9029324173_acb8573b76_b.jpg
9029325023_c6c7e1267b_b.jpg
9031540858_5b040c5f8a_b.jpg
9031532914_ce07487d45_b.jpg
Paints were primarily Gunze, with some Tamiya, Vallejo and Alclad thrown in for kicks.
Markings were from Scale Precision Masks.
Weathering consisted of salt fading, oil dotting, Flory Dark Dirty wash, etc.
Full breakdown HERE. Thanks for looking!

That is brilliant - really beautiful build!

Curious on the Krylon Gloss you used prior to the decals - you just decanted and sprayed from the airbrush or did you have to thin it (and what did you use to thin)

I echo your comments on challenges with gloss coats - seems like I have tried everything but cannot achieve consistent results

Petrov - just decanted. Though, since snagging a single-action Iwata M I've had better luck with gloss. Actually had really good results with Testors Aztek Gloss, of all things, on my recent 1/16 Pz.38 build.

Very beautiful weathering and the full build détails are very instructive.

Learned a lot about oil weathering but I'm not sure to be ready to try it.

I have one of this big Beast to build as a french aircraft but with a NMF.

Very nice mate.

It sounds like most trumpeter kits in my experience - they can be a mixed bag of lollies that's for sure.

Your t/bolt is really nicely done though........!

Wow really nice Jug. The olive green camo is very difficult to made but your work is pefect. Please tell me more about it as I'm interested to make a Brazilian P47 in Italy in mid 1944.

PS you're from Austin .. I remember the ZZ Top concert in 1976

Ciao

Filippo

Thanks all!

@Kev - feel free to publish this and the B-25!

@Plm - I'd highly recommend giving the oil weathering a shot. For some reason I keep trying other more "in vogue" methods like AK Interactive's enamel stuff, and always go back to oils. They just seem to blend better and pull off better tonal variation.

@Joe - I'm convinced the P-47 was designed by two teams. It's more bipolar than most Trumpy kits it seems.

@Filippo - If you follow the link to the writeups I go into a bit of detail about the paintwork. Basically...black base, thin/gradual buildup of Gunze Olive Drab on top of that, then salt fading, then oils, then a Flory Dark Dirt wash.