1/24 Hurricane I, 32 Sqdn Biggin Hill/Hawkinge

Right, as we have now established its a Rotol prop, I've done some work rounding off the squared off tips on the kit blades.

There has been some discussion about this in other build threads and it is possible apparently for some later marks to have the "flat"

tips but not on a mark 1. I looked at many photos of rotol props and its difficult to get the right shape unless you have a view completely opposite the flat blade of the prop.

I eventually found one so here's my effort:

P8301493.jpg

I have been gluing as many pieces together as I can, including the exhausts.

I've thinned these out quite a bit but may do a little bit more:

P8301498.jpg

Done the rear control surfaces but there will be a few bits to scratch such as rudder actuating horns and cables and trim tab actuators.

Cut the hole in the seat for the harness and thinned it down a bit:

P8301500.jpg

More soon but I must do some work on the 109! :speak_cool:

Phil

Thank you Brian, I can't wait to start painting too!

In the meantime I was staring at the kit control column and it looked too "clunky" to me.

The Hurri joy stick pivots port and starboard only at the top.

It has a small bicycle chain and connecting rods. The kit ones looked too thick.

The grip appears to have string/cord wound round it before being sealed presumably for better grip.

I've seen this replicated before but I wanted to ensure the scale looked right.

Sooo I wound the handle with 0.08mm stainless steel wire.

I was going to use a nice long hair from my daughters head but I couldn't catch the little blighter.

(Damn quick these five year olds!) :notworking:

Only kidding!

This was the finest wire I have and being steel it had plenty of strength.

I also replaced the link rods with 0.5mm brass. Drilled out some 1mm rod for the connectors and flattened a bit of lead wire to give the impression of the bike chain at the top.

Used black coated wire for the cables which I believe are hydraulic cables for the guns??? I stand to be corrected.

P9011524.jpg

I'm hoping it will look Ok after a bit of paint.

I wasn't going to do much detailing on this one but I think I will just go with the flow and do what I think is needed.

Phil

I must confess as to being a little annoyed with myself. :notworking: After reading comment upon comment regarding the poor fit of the wing LE gun inserts, in haste I just glued mine on flush at the top. I guess I'll have to drag out the epoxy! On the plus side, the fit on the IID is not really all that bad.

I must confess as to being a little annoyed with myself. :blink: After reading comment upon comment regarding the poor fit of the wing LE gun inserts, in haste I just glued mine on flush at the top. I guess I'll have to drag out the epoxy! On the plus side, the fit on the IID is not really all that bad.

I know the feeling Kev!

Funnily enough on the IIc the fairings are "short" of the leading edge so you have to put card in to bring them out.

On the Mk 1 the leading edge fit is ok but the profile is too thin so you have to spread them.

Looks like they may have got it near enough right with the IID!

I wanted to see how my wiring on the grip would look with some paint:

P9021535.jpg

Looks pretty much to scale I think.

Phil

That is awesome work :hi:

Really like the hand grip.

Look forward to more

Thanks Alan for the kind words.

Today I have a little bit more to show you but first I need to talk about sperm.

Yes I said sperm! Actually giant blunt-headed sperm. There that's better!

I have discovered that I have several of these inhabiting the inside of the fuse:

P9081762.jpg

There's one of the buggers under the top cowling.

There's two more here:

P9081760.jpg

And one on here!

P9081759.jpg

What's this all about! :speak_cool:

Well actually the ones on the fuse are supposed to be instrument panel lights and the one on the small panel on the fuse frame is the socket for the pilot's microphone.

Well I'm not having it, they've got to go! ;)

Taking some sanding and gouging materials I removed them.

P9091786.jpg

The Hurricane is largely wood around the cockpit area so any instruments are mounted on plywood discs to attach them to the sidewalls same as in

the Mosquito.

The Trumpy one's were a bit thin after all the sanding and some weren't there for the lights so I punched discs from 5 thou card.

You can see the filler from my hamfisted gouging to get rid of the sperm.

More in a minute.

Phil

This morning I had a cockpit light making session.

I had to make 4 and worked out they should be about 1.2mm wide and around 4mm long for scale.

I had to make 4 as apart from the three on the fuse there is another which sits above the compass just below the ip.

Trumpy haven't replicated that in the kit.

Soooo I took some 1.2 rod, drilled one end for the wire, sanded it to a roundish shape and glued in the wire which is black coated copper 0.3mm which is again hopefully ok in scale.

I then drilled out the other end and glued some 1.0mm aftermarket lenses in to simulate the bulbs.

For the radio socket, I just drilled out the end.

P9091793.jpg

Got to make or simulate clips for them on the mounting disc on the fuse wall.

This is how small they really are:

P9091796.jpg

Please don't suggest I could have used real bulbs and lit the bloody thing!!!

Least I got rid :speak_cool: of the sperm!

Going to lie down for a bit now.

Phil