1/24 Hurricane I, 32 Sqdn Biggin Hill/Hawkinge

Hi Phil,

I have seen pictures of the Mk1 with square also, I have a picture of a Mk11c with round same as what Don did, when I get to mine I will make it round because I am making the MK11c

I see you like to do a lot of detail like myself. :goodjob:

Richard

Fantastic work Phil, Ah'm lovin all'a dat good stuff, gonna be buildin me a PCM ragjob later this year and am gonna be stealin from you thread wholesale, an ain't no one gonna catch me see! :wicked:

I hope Trumpeter release it in 1/32 soon, it really is shameful that companies can't get the fuselage immediately behind the headplate right, which PCM don't. :crying:

Ya'll take what yoo want from mah humble build bowah!

I can't understand the lack of a Trumpy one in 1/32, would be a real money spinner.

FFS, I dont want to use awesome anymore but it is pretty awesome........

The small triangular tabs that hold the bracing to the windscreen really add to the detail.

I use that same tecnique with the Tam clear green.......really does look the biz! :punk:

Thank you very much yung man!

Hi Phil,

I have seen pictures of the Mk1 with square also, I have a picture of a Mk11c with round same as what Don did, when I get to mine I will make it round because I am making the MK11c

I see you like to do a lot of detail like myself. :goodjob:

Thanks Richard, and I have seen just how much you like lots of detail! :thumbsup:

Wow ! looking great Phil. Just an FYI, that curved tubing was a

demisting tube for the windscreen. I think heated air circulated

thru it (not sure how it worked). Coming together very nicely.

Thanks for the info Mike, that makes sense about the tube.

Thanks for the kind words and for dropping by.

Just a couple more things I have added that don't come with the kit.

There is a very thin bracing rod in the centre of the radiator cowl.

Drilled in a piece of 0.5mm brass rod:

P1102693.jpg

On the rear of the radiator cowl there are two bracing rods supporting the rear. Trumpy nicely mold the area where they are attached to the fuse but don't put the pieces in the kit???

Used some brass rod again:

P1102691.jpg

I've pre-painted the inside of the cowl with White Ensign Sky.

Looks a bit dark to me and after the discussions previously about "sky" methinks I will lighten this colour a bit for the undersides.

The lower ID light has been painted black gloss to accept Alclad chrome then the lens.

There will also be a tube on the back or the radiator which will be done with lead wire after painting.

Back to masking up this monster!

Phil

Hi Phil,

Very nice touch indeed, :clap2:

I have bought the books, Walk around Hurricane by Squadron, Famous Aircraft of the world Hawker Hurricane and my Brother lent me his book The Hawker Hurricane a comprehensive guide for the Modeller very helpful for the detail. Do you have these books also?

I wondered why Trumpeter left out those two rods as well :unsure:

From all the Pictures I have seen, I still dont know what colour to paint the inside of my radiator? would it be the same as the underside of the plane for the 11c ? What did you do on your 11c build?

Richard

Hi Phil,

Very nice touch indeed, :clap2:

I have bought the books, Walk around Hurricane by Squadron, Famous Aircraft of the world Hawker Hurricane and my Brother lent me his book The Hawker Hurricane a comprehensive guide for the Modeller very helpful for the detail. Do you have these books also?

I wondered why Trumpeter left out those two rods as well :unsure:

From all the Pictures I have seen, I still dont know what colour to paint the inside of my radiator? would it be the same as the underside of the plane for the 11c ? What did you do on your 11c build?

Richard

Hi Richard,

I'm using the SAM datafile(which I had to borrow as its oop and going for stupid money on e-bay) and another book, "Hawker Hurricane inside and out" by Melvyn Hiscock. Its a softback published by Crowood Press and available on Amazon. Its not expensive and shows really good colour photo's of a full restration and some completed resto's.

Now I'm aware of the dangers of restorations but all the photo's I have found seem to point to the radiator cowl being painted the same inside as the aircraft lower colour.

I did the same on my IIc. It would make sense to me when repainting an aircraft in real life to mask off the radiators and just paint the whole thing the same colour rather than paint the inside of the cowl interior green.

The photo's of the Mk1 at Hendon and the IWM ragwing seem to have the cowls painted the underside colour as well.

At the end of the day unless you have a photo of your actual aircraft showing it was painted a different colour then you cannot be proved wrong.

HTH

Phil

NIIIIICCCCCCE, REAL NIIIIICCCCE!! I really like what's going on in here Phil. That Hurricane is lookin' lovely!!! It's so quiet over here I might just jump in after I get all my exteriors in order on the Russ/my Twin P-51B..... get ready for the idiotic rambling Cuban modeller..maybe?

Peace,

Alfonso

:wow: That is one detailed Hurricane! Can't wait to see some paint on her.

Good to see you back Don and you'll notice I've been "borrowing" a few bits from your build!

great detail, you're going to have a real stunner on your hands!

Thanks Shawn.

NIIIIICCCCCCE, REAL NIIIIICCCCE!! I really like what's going on in here Phil. That Hurricane is lookin' lovely!!! It's so quiet over here I might just jump in after I get all my exteriors in order on the Russ/my Twin P-51B..... get ready for the idiotic rambling Cuban modeller..maybe?

Hey Alfonso, get it on!!!!!!!

phwoar

You're welcome!

Well I spent the last three days throwing on the colour.

I would have preferred to use MM enamels throughout but I could only get the Dark Earth.

I used White Ensign for the Sky and had to fall back on Humbrol matt dark green which is not my preference.

Here are the base coats of colour:

P1152710.jpg

There was a good discussion on a previous thread as usual on what is or is not Sky.

Effectively it came down to "what ever"!

At this time in the BoB they decided to paint "Sky" undersides but there was very little if any factory paint so most squadrons painted their interpretation in the field.

The White Ensign was too dark for my liking so I lightened it by about 5 parts sky to 2 parts white:

P1152712.jpg

You must allow for indoor camera colours as well but it looks OK in natural light to me.

The radiator cowling came out ok as well. You will note that this Hurricane now has a personality and has been named Harry by my 6 year-old daughter:

P1152713.jpg

Back in a minute to talk about sanding off a lot of that paint!

Phil

As I have said previously I always sand my base coats of paint. I use enamels so it may be my hamfisted airbrushing but I find it useful.

Even the MM and white ensign which spray very smoothly benefit from sanding and the Matt Humbrol HAS to be smoothed out.

Just running a fingertip over the MM shows up a tiny grainy feel.

I use the Mastercasters foam sanders and some foam backed fine automotive sheets.

I used the finest sponge on the MM and white ensign and a couple of passes left it nice and smooth.

I will be using Ad Astra masks for all the markings except a couple of decal stencils so it will help the masks to sit down nicely.

The main problem here is the Humbrol Matt which is just not suitable as it stands for any decals or masks. It also looks too flat.

Here's a wing tip as sprayed:

P1152715.jpg

Perhaps I'm talking out of my arse but it just looks wrong.

So I'm going for a satin sheen. Using the sanding pads and sponge sanders I gently work at it to take off the matt and blend the colour a bit.

An early advantage is that it also starts to look weathered. As I'm using paint masks for the roundels it won't spoil the effect under a coat of clear varnish:

P1152716.jpg

I've removed any sanding dust with a damp cloth and its difficult to show the sheen under artificial light but its looking much better.

Here's a wing before sanding:

P1152718.jpg

And the other wing which I have sanded up to the strengthening rib:

P1152717.jpg

I'll spend the rest of the weekend sanding the rest and hopefully get on with those lovely Ad Astra masks next week.

Phil

Very nice results my friend!

Keep at her! I too like the look of the MM stuff after color sanding..............Im just usually a lazy Git so sometimes I dont even bother when I actually should. :unsure:

But, as you pointed out the MM stuff can do with it but is not always in dire need of color sanding prior to any top coats. Good stuff Philly, really good. :speak_cool:

B