1/24 Hurricane I, 32 Sqdn Biggin Hill/Hawkinge

Shawn,

post-13803-1284050007.jpg

Phil :piliot:

this thread has turned very funny indeed

nice to see a pic of Mr Churchill with fingers pointing the "proper" way

i'm sure all us English folk know where this sign comes from?? (and British actually since it was most likely Welsh who were actually making the sign...)

the glories of history

N

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
"Never in the field of modelling websites has so much drivel been added by so few (or the one)"

Crap..............

Drivel added............made quadrupedal posts not triple. My math skills are on par with my speeelng skilles :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

do they lite up yet? :whistle:

Thought you might see some new build on this one eh! :evil_laugh:

Well I need the old Gene Autrey song "I'm back in the saddle again" so I'll be back at work tomorrow.

I must reply to you Shawn, as you've already had "Mr Churchill" I managed to find another suitable reply to your question,

my F5 pilot says:

P6221083.jpg

Phil :P

• 3 weeks later...

Aaaah Gene Autry, they don't make 'em like that anymore - thank goodness :evil_laugh:

Well its been a bit thin on this forum lately but I have managed to get all set for Christmas so I've actually managed to do some building! Yay!

I must admit to getting a bit tied up with the cockpit (literally with wiring!)but I've broken the back of it now so hopefully I can get on a bit faster.

Had an issue with the ip. Its the usual Trumpy clear plastic with the printed acetate sheet for the dials behind(which I really like)

For some reason they decided to include the glass of the dials in the ip instead of clean holes.

Three of the dials were "frosted" and I couldn't clean them up so I drilled out the lot! :BANGHEAD2:

I had already thinned it down and its developed a crack which I have hopefully cured with a drop of thin ca at the rear. I've yet to do any detailing or drybrushing but its really kid gloves until I can get it onto the backing plate. You may also notice that I've removed the hand hold from the fuse. I will be modelling this one with the "stirrup" down and it automatically opens the hand hold. I'll drop a piece of card in towards the end of the build.

PC162516.jpg

Here's the seat. Its just had a dark wash and its probably enough. The belts are Eduard which I've repainted. I had completed this just before Radu announced his 1/24 belts but there you go:

PC162512.jpg

The control column is in. I saw numerous colour variations of the stick so I'm going with the Mk1 at Hendon which looks unrestored in the pit.

Likewise the black footboards. These will be dirtied up with dust etc.

The kit had a strange blob behind the stick which was supposed to represent the brake pressure guage which in reality is on a flat plate angled towards the driver.

I cut this out, used an airscale decal and a bezel from an old Eduard 109 ip set. I've also removed a couple of bits of frame that were not in the real thing:

PC162506.jpg

Done the sidewalls. detailed all the wiring and added scratched panel lights shown previously.

Any bare ends of wires will be covered by the seat panel to tidy them up.

PC162504.jpg

PC162501.jpg

More soon!

Phil

I've been doing a lot of work on one of the side "frames" in the cockpit.

This is what I had to start:

P9081759.jpg

The detail is pretty bad especially the giant sperm.

I removed a lot of the detail then using wire, card etc got this:

PC162520.jpg

Had a bit of a brainwave on the trim wheel chain.

I used 0.5mm lead wire then gave it a squeeze in the serrated jaws of my needle nose pliers. Looks poor up close but from a distance it looks like chain.

The voltmeter was an airscale decal. The rt connector in the holder is made from rod.

I had to add the mixture control lever by the throttle as its not in the kit.

The other side:

PC162522.jpg

Only thing added to this is the Sutton Harness release and cable. Looks like a small rifle bolt. Used a bit of wire with a blob of ca to make the handle.

In situ they look ok to me:

PC162524.jpg

PC162525.jpg

PC162526.jpg

I'm going to tackle the frame which runs under the ip down to under the seat next.

There's alot of detail missing which I'll have to sort out.

Phil