Another Kotare Spitfire - Mk.I (Early)

Shoggz

15 hours ago, Shoggz said:

I know Mike! They are definitely a backward step operationally to the airbrush, but can be expedient. :)

Just kidd'n Rich. We'll judge better when finished.  :coolio::popcorn:

Some solid progress tonight, but also some significant setbacks.

53734145112_2c995f5755_b.jpg 53735074501_8529bf97de_b.jpg 53735407909_10dfcc0bfb_b.jpg 53735407919_2f7312fb54_b.jpg

53735501595_47335ba4dd_b.jpg

I got some pretty bad overspray on the insides of the canopy parts which necessitated a lot of fettling with thinners and cotton buds to clean up. I now need to touch up the clear parts.

Schoolboy error and I’m annoyed with myself. :(

Looking good, I think it's the markings as much as anything else that make the early Mk1 look different;

Shame about the paint lift, I don' think you'll get away with calling it damage from 'erks' boots that far out from the fuselage. :D

John

Now that is looking great, just how I imagined it would look from the period B&W photos, setbacks are normal in this game, well they are the way I build anyway.

I am sure that you will handle the paint slippage superbly.

Cheers

Dennis.

Well, at least the decals have snuggled down nicely after copious application of Micro Sol!

53735082802_fd408d795e_b.jpg 53736438825_2471479cc4_b.jpg

Lots of work to do - There are a number of pictures of the real thing which I need to study.

The chipping and wear on the wings was influenced by the box art, which seems to show the aircraft more used than the photos do - so I'll be adjusting it back.

2 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

It's part of the hobby Rich. We all know that.

Indeed we do Mike - I'm sure I can get it all sorted, and I actually like the look of the model already - even with my faux-pas! 

48 minutes ago, geedubelyer said:

Fascinating to see those big wing roundels. I'm unfamiliar with that style so this looks most intriguing to me. 

Keep at it Richard. :thumbsup:

Cheers Guy - yeah, those big roundels didn't last beyond '39.

43 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Looking good, I think it's the markings as much as anything else that make the early Mk1 look different;

Shame about the paint lift, I don' think you'll get away with calling it damage from 'erks' boots that far out from the fuselage. :D

John

I can't blame paint lift for those John - that was my own chipping endeavours! But, as you rightly suggest - and particularly after closer study of photos, I need to dial it right back.

25 minutes ago, dennismcc said:

Now that is looking great, just how I imagined it would look from the period B&W photos, setbacks are normal in this game, well they are the way I build anyway.

I am sure that you will handle the paint slippage superbly.

Cheers

Dennis.

Thank you Dennis - definitely getting there!