Biggest quantity of one particular kit in the stash?

Did a visit to the LHS this weekend, the worker there showed me 160 kits they’ve just put out, purchased from an estate (a local club guy who’d passed) with another 300 in the back storage room to inventory and catalogue from the same source! I was amazed at the number of LSP’s available but held back. They’ve been offered kits form another recently deceased modeller (club member) numbering in the thousand or so! The latter having just ordered and received three kits a couple of weeks earlier.

ill try to save my wife and family from dealing with this by only having a dozen or so to deal with in the stash…

9 hours ago, Tony T said:

My wife wants us to move in a year or two so I'm beginning to feel uneasy. My "precious" are under threat! 

(Maybe she wants me to collect red wine instead, which she enjoys too.)

Tony 

This Tuesday will mark 3 years from our move.   My silly wife thought I’d get rid of half my stash to make the move easier.  I told her Home Depot sold plenty of large moving boxes and we can make an extra trip since it was only a 25 mile trip.  
Stand your ground Tony!  Tell her to get rid of the old dining room furniture instead. 

16 hours ago, chrish said:

Did a visit to the LHS this weekend, the worker there showed me 160 kits they’ve just put out, purchased from an estate (a local club guy who’d passed) with another 300 in the back storage room to inventory and catalogue from the same source! I was amazed at the number of LSP’s available but held back. They’ve been offered kits form another recently deceased modeller (club member) numbering in the thousand or so! The latter having just ordered and received three kits a couple of weeks earlier.

ill try to save my wife and family from dealing with this by only having a dozen or so to deal with in the stash…

Joking aside this makes the consequences a little more serious.  The items can be sold but still, it takes time.  I’ve stopped buying kits now, just about to finish honing my references  - new releases are a bane but the more improved models get the less art is needed to build them - take those 3d prints for example.

I would implore myself and others to cherish what you have. There is joy and skill in turning an old kit into a competition entrant - it doesn’t have to be a winner.

Scratch building is pure scale modelling wouldn’t you all say? The buy and drop engines, etc take away from that.  AM is the innovation killer (edited from Dune)

What we want to try and ameliorate is our ‘Elaborate Hordes’ condition.   I don’t think many of us want to add up the value of kits, equipment and reference materials purchased - I did a quick summation and was mortified.  Now I’m trying out my new mantra:

Build more and buy less! 

Edited by Onspring

12 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Since the life of my stash spans 40ish years, I can't pick out any period during that time,

then place a dollar value on it, then wonder what 'else' I would have spent that money on.

In other words, what did I miss out on ?   Nothing comes to mind.  :shrug:

Another house?

1000 kits is madness but only when you think about it or have to move, or your relo’s have to deal with it when we’ve shuffled off to the next plane. But it’s a mad world and like The Bard says we are just actors on the stage of life, or something like that. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2024 at 11:04 AM, Onspring said:

Joking aside this makes the consequences a little more serious.  The items can be sold but still, it takes time.  I’ve stopped buying kits now, just about to finish honing my references  - new releases are a bane but the more improved models get the less art is needed to build them - take those 3d prints for example.

I would implore myself and others to cherish what you have. There is joy and skill in turning an old kit into a competition entrant - it doesn’t have to be a winner.

Scratch building is pure scale modelling wouldn’t you all say? The buy and drop engines, etc take away from that.  AM is the innovation killer (edited from Dune)

What we want to try and ameliorate is our ‘Elaborate Hordes’ condition.   I don’t think many of us want to add up the value of kits, equipment and reference materials purchased - I did a quick summation and was mortified.  Now I’m trying out my new mantra:

Build more and buy less! 

@Onspring , I can only agree with what you wrote. I am glad however that there are those people out there with 1000 kit stashes because, thanks to them, manufacturers are willing to produce the more esoteric subjects that I (and a few other hardy souls here) know and admire. I look at how innovative people are however from a slightly different point of view: There are some very dedicated people represented here and in other online spaces who have learned CAD, the processes and foibles of 3D printing, and now we are seeing the fruits of that. What that does is to make the broader modelling population perhaps less willing to ‘have a go’ to make something from scratch because one can always google “insert esoteric component in desired scale here” and not bother to make an attempt via traditional methods. We all want shortcuts because, the most pressing issue for most of us is the relatively slow speed we build at. 

But, for me at least, “build more and buy less” is the philosophical space I occupy when it comes to modelling these days. Thanks for your post @Onspring - it was really thought provoking. 

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by Archimedes