HGW Wet Transfer Luftwaffe Walkway

Jager

I have recent purchased 3 packs of these walkways (#232041). I followed the instructions for both depackaging and application. My first pack of red-dash lines worked perfectly. My next 2 packs not so well. The second packs protective paper retained the clear carrier. Extra care was taken to remove it from the protective paper but it was one with the carrier. My third pack depackaged perfectly with the clear carrier staying with the transfers. After cutting the required transfers from the sheet and soaking them for 15 seconds then removing them from the water to soak in their own puddle, all of the dashes started to float off the carrier just before the removal of the paper backing.thus rendering them useless. I was impressed with the first package that worked perfectly. Was this a common product problem? I have double checked my process. 

Has anyone else experienced an issue like this? 

Jager

Yes I have had mixed results with them, for my Tempest build they worked great, the Hurricane ones were probably 99.9% with some tiny bits missing, but the Spitfire IX ones were a disaster, the "carrrier" film came away from the markings rendering them useless, in the end I had to resort to decals. They went into the bin.

V2hD1Z.jpg

Here's the full story.

Cheers

Dennis

9 hours ago, nmayhew said:

If you have had a defective set (or sets) let them know and get them to send a replacement to you.

generally they have been pretty responsive 

Thanks, it's worth a try. 

Had a similar issue with a set for the 1/32 P-51D..... they seemed to have no backing glue on the sheet and after soaking and applying them they just disintegrated.

I contacted HGW and they were great and sent me a new set for free. Try contacting them through the contact details on their website.

50 minutes ago, Palm-tree said:

Had a similar issue with a set for the 1/32 P-51D..... they seemed to have no backing glue on the sheet and after soaking and applying them they just disintegrated.

I contacted HGW and they were great and sent me a new set for free. Try contacting them through the contact details on their website.

Thanks PT, Glad to hear they are backing their products. I sent an e-mail to let them know about my issue. Appreciate you taking time away from your build table to comment on my issue. I really like HGW products, especially when they work correctly. I might add that this was the first time i have ever had an issue with their products.

Jager

I first used the HGW Stencils for the 1/32 Spitfire- they worked out really well and no backing film to worry about.

Probably just had a bad batch with the P-51 set. Hope you get your issue resolved- good luck with the build.

I noticed, for me at least, that the transfers seem VERY temperamental about temperature.   I used some with warm water and it was a dream.  

When I had issues of them disintegrating, the water was cold.  I warmed the water and all was good.

That said, I have trouble trusting them now.   

• 2 weeks later...

As a follow up, I reached out to HGW to just let them know about the issues I had with the walkway transfers with the intent of just giving them some product feedback. I received an e-mail from Martin at HGW. He was sorry about the issue and is sending me replacements. That is very good customer service. We should all support vendors like HGW that are concerned about the quality of their product and our satisfaction with them.

Jager

they are a great idea however in general  it is hit or miss.  i am building the hgw( dragon cybermodel)  bf 109-7.  It is fussy model but the construction and painting came out great(  I a m planning on exposing the engine so the big pitall of fit around the engine was avoided.  The included  rivets actually went on well( however for themsot part you dont see them.  When it came to decaling the balken cruzes shredded.  The haken cruz as well.  It turned a fussy project into a pit.  I was able to salvage it for the most part and for one wing  emblem I cut a stencil on my cameo to paint on the blaken cruz.    I have a set for  a p 51 not sure I wlll  use them.  When the work they are great just like painted on

Edited by dashotgun

On 4/8/2024 at 2:19 PM, dashotgun said:

they are a great idea however in general  it is hit or miss.  i am building the hgw( dragon cybermodel)  bf 109-7.  It is fussy model but the construction and painting came out great(  I a m planning on exposing the engine so the big pitall of fit around the engine was avoided.  The included  rivets actually went on well( however for themsot part you dont see them.  When it came to decaling the balken cruzes shredded.  The haken cruz as well.  It turned a fussy project into a pit.  I was able to salvage it for the most part and for one wing  emblem I cut a stencil on my cameo to paint on the blaken cruz.    I have a set for  a p 51 not sure I wlll  use them.  When the work they are great just like painted on

That's my experience, above. The first time I tried them I was amazed, absolutely looked painted on.

The second time, and I think it was because the water was too cold, it was a disaster.  Then with warm water, it worked but I lost my confidence. 

after the above disaster I changed from mr  decal set to mr  decal soft for a puddle under the decal. while it dried I  used an ear bud to gently press down on the decal then  waited for at least 8 hours  that seemed to do the trick.  they really do look painted on.  Ih ad to cut a stencil and do a couple of shoots of paint to  replace the decal I wrecked so I am back on track.  Yes i agree warm water in fact I have  coffee cup warmer I sit my  porcelin decal water cup on to keep the water hot