New 1:32 Spitfire Mk.XII conversion on the way

Shoggz

11 hours ago, MikeC said:

Certainly the XVII could probably be done using the Tamiya Mk XVI as a base, but you'd need to swop the wings with a Mk IX; but then you'll have the means to build a high-back Mk IXe as well.  Hmm :hmmm:now look what you've done, you've set me off down another modelling rabbit hole :whistle:

No need to swap the entire wing, just the inserts for the respective versions. 

Can't wait for a XV to come out. Would be nice to have one in RCN markings next to my RCN Sea Fury. 

1 minute ago, BloorwestSiR said:

No need to swap the entire wing, just the inserts for the respective versions. 

Good point. I've built all 3 Tamiya Spitfires,  but hadn't remembered in detail. Now you mention it I think you're right.

A niche aircraft, for sure, as only 100 were built and only two squadrons flew them, but as many of you mentioned, this conversion opens the door for many, many more without too much more tooling and work. This may be a proof of concept that leads to sweeter fruits. But, for those that fancy a XII, here you go!

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

2 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

... only two squadrons flew them ...

A lesser-known fact is that that is not strictly true.  Only two operational front-line squadrons flew the mark.  However they were also flown at some point by: 595 Sqn, an Anti-a/c co-operation Unit, eg MB837 7B:V, as featured in current-at-2022 issue of the 1/48 Airfix kit; Fighter Leaders' School, RAF Millfield; an unidentified Fleet Air Arm unit (briefly, and how many not known); and the RAF Old Sarum Communications Flight. Alas, documentation is limited, this is as much as I have been able to find so far: if I could find any more info I would really be tempted by either the Fighter Leaders' School, FAA, or even comms example. 

I also saw somewhere once that 41 Sqn modified a couple of theirs for FR work, with an oblique camera, I assume pointing out of the radio hatch.  I even corresponded with Edgar on the subject, but he did not have any more info than I did.  Alas, the web page I read - it was on the Key Publishing site somewhere - has long since hidden behind the number 404.

But even if I do a standard 41 Sqn or 91 Sqn fighter, I'm still tempted.

• 2 months later...