Trumpy floaty Spit!

Astro32

Got a smokin' deal on Trumpeter's Mk V on floats recently. As most of you know, the office and the engine are rubbish. Overall shape compares well against my Airfix Mk 1A so there is that. Not too sure about the floats though; they seem soo shallow in the keel but that may be accurate. Supermarine had their own ideas about float design. Not sure about aftermarket details but I'm sure what's out there can be adapted.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Getting tired of doing cars!

I THINK that a couple of the Float Spits had NMF on some parts of the floats and fuselage, but it a long time since I saw the photos. It strikes me that you could go "super-What-If" on this kit and let your imagination run riot. 

How many did they build? I have a feeling it was around 10 (but memory is also very hazy on this one). I do remember reading that the floats didn't stay air-tight for very long and believe that it was a major reason for the project to be abandoned. 

Good luck in your build.

Chris.   

I wished I hadn't passed on the Suisen II (floaty Zero 21) as that would have pulled me into 1:24 which seems the right scale for single engine props.

Enjoy your Spit. I'd be inclined to do a what-if Maltese-based example.

Tony

9 hours ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

I THINK that a couple of the Float Spits had NMF on some parts of the floats and fuselage, but it a long time since I saw the photos. It strikes me that you could go "super-What-If" on this kit and let your imagination run riot. 

How many did they build? I have a feeling it was around 10 (but memory is also very hazy on this one). I do remember reading that the floats didn't stay air-tight for very long and believe that it was a major reason for the project to be abandoned. 

Good luck in your build.

Chris.   

there were 5

• Mk I – R6722
  • F Mk Vb – W3760
  • Mk V – EP751 and EP754
  • Mk IXb – MJ892

3 minutes ago, Pete Roberts said:

Floats on a Spitfire - what were they thinking. Vandalism! :angry2:

And, and the floats leaked , that's never good! They were probably thinking on using the spit the same way the Japanese used the Zero[Rufe] and were pretty successful[ at least their floats didn't leak] .

8 hours ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

And, and the floats leaked , that's never good! They were probably thinking on using the spit the same way the Japanese used the Zero[Rufe] and were pretty successful[ at least their floats didn't leak] .

The Rufe floats were more elegant,the Spit floats look brutal

with lots of drag

19 minutes ago, iaf-man said:

The Rufe floats were more elegant,the Spit floats look brutal

with lots of drag

Yes, and very functional too! The Japanese seemed to have a knack for designing floats and flying boats[ they weren't the only ones though]. I got to see the only Kawanishi H8K "Emily " in existence at the Kanoya air base museum in Kagoshima in 2014. It ain't no wimpy thang either, impressively armed too. I had the 24th scale Trumpy" Rufe" ,but I sold it. The fuselage wasn't right and I didn't feel up to doing the corrections on it [ fuselage was too high on the front] . Once I seen it I couldn't unseen it.

6 minutes ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

Yes, and very functional too! The Japanese seemed to have a knack for designing floats and flying boats[ they weren't the only ones though]. I got to see the only Kawanishi H8K "Emily " in existence at the Kanoya air base museum in Kagoshima in 2014. It ain't no wimpy thang either, impressively armed too. I had the 24th scale Trumpy" Rufe" ,but I sold it. The fuselage wasn't right and I didn't feel up to doing the corrections on it [ fuselage was too high on the front] . Once I seen it I couldn't unseen it.

I have this kit.What do you mean-too high?

Profile wise at the windscreen?Engine cowling?

1 minute ago, iaf-man said:

I have this kit.What do you mean-too high?

Profile wise at the windscreen?Engine cowling?

The fuselage aft of the cowling, to me , it sits too high. They also included the "roll over structure behind the pilot's head and the folding wingtips ,which the "rufe" didn't have. Those things aren't any great shakes easy to fix .It was the fuselage that I couldn't go with. To be fair the rest looks pretty good , good cockpit detail.

I'd like to see someone do a nice" Rufe" in 32nd. ATM I have to go 48th to get my "Rufe" fix. An Aichi "Jake" is high on my want list too. I like float planes ,they're cool! I've thought about getting the MDC conversion but that can get expensive , I'd have to get another Tamiya M2 plus the conversion ,ouch!