1/32 Invader

Rob Colvin

• 2 weeks later...

Since Rob started this thread, I've received quite a few inquiries about printing this one for people, which I'm happy to do. I figured I'd just post the process for everyone here, so you all know how to go about doing that. 

The files Rob posted above: https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/1-48-invader-8-gun-nose-correction-set, are designed by the user BREWITMAN on Cults3D, and as such, he owns the sole creative rights to the design. So, anyone who wants to print it has to buy the files from him through Cults3D. Once you have done so, you have the right to print them for your own use as many times as you want and in whatever scale you want. This is where I come in.

If you can't print them yourself, you can contract someone to print them for you, like me. Sort of like hiring a contractor to build your house. I don't own the files, and can't claim them as my own, nor can I print them for you unless you prove to me that you have first paid the designer for the right to do so. SO, if any of you want me to do this for you, you must first buy the files from him and download them, then send them to me. I can't (won't) print them for anyone else who hasn't paid the designer his dues.

(Deleted)

UPDATE: On second thought, it's only 10 bucks, so I'm just going to buy them myself and try it. That way, none of you have to be the guinea pig. I still won't be able to do it for anyone else unless you buy them too, but at least we'll know.

Tim

Edited by BiggTim

6 minutes ago, Iain said:

Thanks for the heads-up Tim - didn't realise they'd been made available via Cults - so will purchase and print myself.

Brilliant!!

Iain

Great! Please post your results in the 3D printing forum, and I will do the same.

As promised, here are the results of my tests. As they came out of the printer:

20240106-184234.jpg

1:48 files with supports provided by the designer: (I forgot to print the little caps for this one). As you can see, they printed well and the supports were well designed, though the rafts against the build plate were a bit thin and broke easily during removal. Not really a big issue.

1-48-supported-1.jpg

1-48-supported-2.jpg

1:48 with supports generated by Lychee: Lychee has better rafts that come off the plate easier, but it also filled the nose with supports, which are a pain to get out.

1-48-lychee-supports.jpg

1-32 with supports provided: Worked VERY well, and left the nose clean and hollow. 

1-32-supported-1.jpg

1-32-supported-2.jpg

I need to tweak the settings a bit, as it didn't come out quite as smooth as usual.

1-32-supported-3.jpg

1-32 with supports by Lychee: Also printed well, but again, too many internal supports, and the raft stuck so hard that it broke during removal.

1-32-lychee-supports-2.jpg

Also some texture issues to work on:

1-32-lychee-supports-3.jpg

The verdict: Use the supported files provided for either scale, or manually add supports in whatever software you use - don't let the software do it for you. I can't speak to fit, as I don't have a kit to test them on, but they look well done, and at least one other person on Cults3D scaled them up to 1:32 and said they fit very well. I'd say it's worth 10 bucks. 

Tim

Edited by BiggTim

That does look good! I've already spent so much on this 'Invader' that I feel almost like a gambler - I have to keep spending just to come out even. In this case, that involves winding up with a kit I can build into a reasonably accurate Invader. Of course, if HKM were to come out with an Invader made to the quality of their A-20 I might just try and flog my HB 'Invader' and all its AM bits on someone else and buy the HKM kit. We'll see.

Regards,

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

First off, a bigg "THANKS" to  BiggTim for printing this part! This is the B-26 nose from Cults in 1/32. 

Not sure if anyone else has tried this yet, but here's what I've found. I'm trying to gather as much as I can for a B-26K build using the Hobbyboss kit.  Disclaimer- I cannot comment on overall accuracy of the Cult part, but I suspect it is more accurate than the Hobbyboss kit, given its reputation. I do know that the gun ports on the Cult part are very much more accurately placed than on the kit part. 

I know there's a B-26K thread or two here on LSP somewhere. If this more appropriately belongs in one of those, or anywhere else, mods, fire away. 

The new nose is pretty close in height and width. The portion that mates to the fuselage is a sort of rounded-off square. The kit part is shaped....differently. New nose on left, kit nose on right. 

15Nyjk.jpg

Here's the new nose on the left, kit nose on the right. (Please excuse the upper left corner of the new nose...in my haste cleaning up the part, I managed to damage the resin... not a big deal, easily fixed.)

WA3NG7.jpg

Here it is butt-fitted to the fuselage. The fuselage is angled; you can see the shadows at the top and bottom of the joint, indicating the shape difference. 

SEzl1h.jpg

Here's the kit nose matched to the new nose, mating surface to mating surface. Kit part on top, facing camera. You can see the portions of the new nose that will need to be modified to get it to fit the kit fuselage. For me, this will be a better route by far than trying to reposition those gun ports on the kit nose. If they are not perfectly placed in relation to one another, it will look terrible. Again, I can't comment on the overall accuracy of this approach, but it'll work for me. 

Hope it helps someone. 

John

Edited by johncrow

I printed the six gun nose for my HK A-26 and it looked like it will fit okay. Hopefully its okay to show link to where I posted this. Further down the page are some 500 and 1000 pound bombs for my A-26 and B-25 load outs.

https://modelersalliance.org/threads/new-for-dec-23-part-two.157088/#post-389016

James Knaus