1/48 Friendship Models Resin 1920 Pattern Rolls Royce Armoured Car

Derek B

12 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Good start! Who is the manufacturer?

Edit: Oops! Friendship Models. Gotta read the title, too! Looks like they are pretty nice castings. or have you done a ton of cleanup already?

Hi Ray,

Yes, you are correct, a ton of clean up already completed with more to come. It was particularly bad at the rear and underneath the car, hence the plastic card at the rear end! I think the problem is that this is a large one-piece resin item which has been hand casted without the aid of vacuum to deaerate/gas it, so the air bubbles are very prominent all over the kit and its parts. There is also warpage and distortion in the main part (and some of the smaller ones), so it is far from perfect, but I shall prevail!

I had to sand the the cab top decking wafer thin to look correct (some of the plate areas vary in thickness and can be extremely thick in places), which necessitated replacement or addition of new scratch built rivet and hinge details (also necessary because I separated the driver's visor to display it closed). likewise, because of the very poor casting block ends and air bubbles, I had to face the whole rear face of the back of the vehicle and add new/missing rivet detail (the turret also needed replacement rivets in areas).

two of the six page instruction sheet are missing (I contacted Friendship Models, but have had no response from them about this), so I am using photographs of the actual vehicle and educated guesswork to understand how all of the parts are assembled (some minor parts are missing, but I can scratch build those). Confusingly, the rear underbody fuel tank has protection armour plating moulded into the casting, but also provides a separate casting for it as well, which would be impossible to fit unless the original casted armour was cut and filed away, which is extremely difficult to do. However, as the rear face of this fuel tank armour is not on the kit due to a moulding block (and also has severe air bubbles), I cut the rear face off the separate armour moulding part, extended its height with plastic card, and glued it onto the main kit moulding rear face to offer a degree of detail - I still need to rebuild the undercut in that area (you will see this in the next set of images on my next update).

So, yes, it is a lot of work, but is the only decent RR armoured car available in this scale (it will eventually be accompanied by a 1/48 scale Airspeed Oxford aircraft).

Cheers

Derek

I wondered, looking at your pics. Do you know the age of the kit? Sounds like an old school, early 90’s type kit.

I may have a 1/35th RR armored car in the stash. If I haven’t already sold it, I will pull it out and send you a copy of the instructions. Might help with some of the details.

59 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

I wondered, looking at your pics. Do you know the age of the kit? Sounds like an old school, early 90’s type kit.

I may have a 1/35th RR armored car in the stash. If I haven’t already sold it, I will pull it out and send you a copy of the instructions. Might help with some of the details.

Hi Ray,

It is like a very old kit, but had been recently purchased from Friendship Models by my friend for me to make for him. Luckily, there are relatively few parts, so I worked out where they all go! So thank you, but I shall not be required to use your instructions (thank you anyway). There are no decals with the kit, so I shall have to make my own.

Cheers

Derek

• 3 weeks later...

The wheels are taking an inordinate amount of time to clean up and restore to the correct size, shape and detail. Some of the issues, which cannot be corrected, are that they are cast unevenly in thickness, concentricity (not truly circular). The moulded wheel rims, as moulded, are too thin and were broken/incomplete, so these have been removed and I am replacing them with metal wire rims.

tK4Lguj.jpg

Derek

• 2 months later...

I have scratch built all of the equipment that it would have carried. The model is now completed, but requires painting (I will have to add/make my own markings for it).

eTIxuWb.jpg

vGG7h34.jpg

lXlTnKU.jpg

q50If64.jpg

CeHe4Xb.jpg

kdLcqJS.jpg

Hopefully, it will something look like this when completed:

ykZPJ0V.jpg

Derek