Hasegawa Fw190A-8/R2 Black 8

denders

Well, I finally made up my mind.

I picked this kit up at the Murfreesboro IPMS gathering last month.

65midO.jpg

It came with these AM pieces.

2sLSyt.jpg

After going through books, existing and newly acquired, I decided on White 7.

These from 'More Luftwaffe Fighter Aircraft in Profile' by Sundin & Bergstrom.

sCd5aL.jpg

7bEVJW.jpg

This from 'Fighters of the Iron Cross' by Crandall.

05AakM.jpg

And this from 'Luftwaffe Fighters' German WW2 Designs by Sundin.

YWyVFA.jpg

What is interesting, Crandall notes that this aircraft was completed by Fiesler on June 24, 1944.

Colors are RLM 74, 75, & 76.

Should be interesting. I have a Quinta cockpit on order.

Edited by denders
Changed aircraft

Note that if you wish to build "White 7" that it is a Sturmbock variant (Fw 190 A-8/R2). For accuracy, you will need to source canopy "blinkers" and add additional fuselage armor below the cockpit. Revell captures this feature OOB in one of their 32nd scale releases

HTH

Mark Proulx

15 minutes ago, Mark P said:

Note that if you wish to build "White 7" that it is a Sturmbock variant (Fw 190 A-8/R2). For accuracy, you will need to source canopy "blinkers" and add additional fuselage armor below the cockpit. Revell captures this feature OOB in one of their 32nd scale releases

HTH

Mark Proulx

Thanks, Mark. I noticed that, started into looking at that. I'll see what I can find.

7 hours ago, Erwin said:

Is that Fw one of the two  planes flying over the beaches on D-Day ?

No, I don't think so. One of the pilots was Priller. His aircraft appears to have been marked Black 13. I'm not sure if I have anything which had information on his wingman.

IV/JG3 appears to have been based in Germany and was attacking the bombers. According to the text in the one photo above they either attacked the beach head from Germany or temporarily moved to France to do so.

Thanks, Mike. Yes, they are expensive. They’re marked as ‘Available’ which means they can get it. And I’d receive it after they’ve ordered it and received it. And that price is ~2/3 the cost of the Revell A8/R2 kit. Which I’m considering buying to use for White 7 or perhaps changing my subject. I think the Hasegawa kit would be perfect for Prillar’s machine.

i was trying to avoid Prillar’s machine but perhaps i should just do it. I haven’t looked yet, is there anything out there on his wingman?

Okay, Priiler's wingman was Ogfr. Heinz Wodarczyk.

Now to see if I can find something about his aircraft.

Edit: He appears to have been killed during Operation Bodenplatte.

Edited by denders

Okay, I've decided to stick with the original choice. I'll scratch the extra armor plating and scratch or 3D print the 'window' frames and look for something of the appropriate thickness. I have ordered some additional AM too. I'll show that after it arrives. I've also found a couple of threads here to read through too.

13 hours ago, denders said:

Okay, I've decided to stick with the original choice. I'll scratch the extra armor plating and scratch or 3D print the 'window' frames and look for something of the appropriate thickness. I have ordered some additional AM too. I'll show that after it arrives. I've also found a couple of threads here to read through too.

If you can find new CD or DVD casings it’s a great source of thin clear styrene.

Could be the correct thickness you need.

Alain

9 hours ago, D Bellis said:

Blackdog's A-8/R2 conversion (which involves more than just the side armor and canopy 'Blinkers') for $26.64 and free shipping form a Virginia USA seller:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/180847239744

HTH,

D

Thanks, D. I'm not sure why I hadn't looked there. There are lots of other bits included. Jerry Crandall's book does note that the windscreen quarter panel is not armored.

I will be watching this build with interest. I spend many hours discussing this 190 variant with Jerry Crandall by phone and in person. While he is most known for his Dora "passion", he was equally intrigued (as am I), by this type and their tactics in operation. He was instrumental in creating the Sturmbock in the original Trimaster release in 48th many years ago. He was also very excited when Revell announced their 32nd scale Sturmbock, his favorite go to scale.

Good luck with your build! :popcorn:

Mark Proulx 

Edited by Mark P
Additional Information.