Welsh Models 1/144 MD-11 Finnair

Derek B

2 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Go for it, Derek! I've cut and sanded several of the Welsh airliners you sent me all those years ago, so it would be a good inspiration and incentive for me to continue with them. Plus, I'd get to see how it's really done!

Kev

Well, knowing that it will help you more than me, then it is a done deal Kev! :)

The original kit decals are shot (cracked and split in several places), so I have to address that issue at some point.

Derek

The classic way of sanding vacform parts is using a large flat surface covered with wet and dry paper. The risk with this method - especially for large parts - is that it is difficult to apply even pressure on the parts in all areas during sanding, resulting in unevenness of the part edges (the edges end up looking 'wavy'). 

Therefore, I use the sanding block and scraping method to sand the edges of my larger vacform parts (I still use flat surface sanding for the smaller parts). I also find that this method gives me more sanding control, saves sore fingertips and is much quicker than flat sanding.

The first parts I have sanded here are the left wing parts. I block sanded the leading edges and tips up to the black felt tip line by sanding the part break material from the carrier sheet having scored around the parts (at a 45 degree angle) and bending and snapping the carrier sheet away. The wing trailing edges were thinned by scraping them (on the inside of the wing surface) with a curved scalpel blade and finishing with the sanding block.

W7V2yJm.jpeg

jsv27i3.jpeg

QfeuJSU.jpg?1

2KkA6VI.jpeg

77pID2L.jpeg

qZ6xF68.jpeg

Dh9v301.jpeg

ASFkMuV.jpeg

Derek

Edited by Derek B

41 minutes ago, Alex said:

This is inspiring.  I have a Welsh Models vac kit of a Convair airliner in the stash somewhere.  I should dig it out...

Hi Alex,

Is it the 1/72 Proteus kit?

Derek

Nice progress, Derek. I use the same sanding method as you, after having been advised to do so many years ago by an experienced vacform builder. I agree that it's the better way to go over flat-sanding, but the latter method is the one you see recommended all the time!

Kev

Great stuff, Derek - gotta love an MD-11!

I built this model a few years ago and it's great - I remember the engines being a bit fiddly (although the resin is very nice!) but other than that it was more or less like an IM kit once the parts were all removed and sanded appropriately. It seems you are making a great start!

Tom

As I haven't made or finished a civil airliner model for long time, I am not sure which is the best white paint and finishing varnishes to use on them these days, so I would appreciate any advice that you may have please?

Many thanks

Derek