1/32 Atlas Cheetah D (Italeri kit and ScaleWorx resin conversion set)

Mistral

On 12/11/2023 at 7:36 PM, Cheetah11 said:

The only Cheetah D with a diamond pattern and low vis springbok castles was 841. It was painted similar to the first batch of Cheetah C's in the lighter colour scheme, aprox FS 36375 and FS36320. 841 also had a red circle around the squadron badge denoting the squadron's training flight (also earlier windscreen and wheels). Later Che D repaints had the eagle castle and the darker color scheme.

Cheers

Nick

Thanks so much for the info Nick! Much appreciated. 

• 5 months later...

Time for an update on progress with the African cat ....

Decided to put some weaponry on the aerie in the form of inert bombs and CATM V3B air to air missiles. For this, I used the very nice 3D printed items available from Artman Delta. I helped the guys measure up the real items at various museums in South Africa so I believe that they are as accurate as they can get.

On the centreline pylon will be the standard Mirage III PM-3 bomb beam carrying two Mk81 125kg bombs, on the inboard wing station is the RPK full tank with two Mk81 bombs and on the outboard wing stations will be two dummy V3B missiles :

PM-3 centerline pylon and M81 bombs :

Cheetah D-58

RPK tanks which carry two Mk81 or 82 bombs in tandem :

Cheetah D-59

V3B missiles :

Cheetah D-62

RPK tanks and PM-3 loose fitted :

Cheetah D-64

With blue dummy bombs and light blue dummy V3Bs added :

Cheetah D-63

The worst part of the entire build - cutting and trimming the canopy and having to add internal detail :

Cheetah D 69

Adding structure with various widths of plastic strip :

Cheetah D 68

Tamiya tape is applied to protect the canopy from modeller's finger prints and scratches...

Cheetah D 67

Good enough...only thing too add are the two rear view mirrors and the emergency escape canopy breaker :

Cheetah D 70

The build has been on hold whilst I worked up the energy to do the CAD for the finer decals and the masks. Here are the ejection seat warning triangles - these were printed onto decal sheet using my Canon inkjet printer and then protecting the decal surface with Tamiya X-22 gloss varnish before applying them. These warning triangles were in dual English/Afrikaans and there are a number of permutations regarding the mix of languages...:

Cheetah D 71

Here are the SAAF Castle/Springbok markings. These are the decal version but I actually used masks cut by a fellow modeller (thanks HP Industries :)) :

Cheetah D 72

The masks work out way better than decals - no decal film to contend with...here the masks are in place ready to spray on the darker shade of grey :

Cheetah D 77

And the result - very pleasing - starboard upper wing surface :

Cheetah D 76

Port upper wing :

Cheetah D 75

Intakes :

Cheetah D 74

Tail number - also done with masks :

Cheetah D 78

The "no step" boot prints were also done using masks :

Cheetah D 73

Looking fantastic Malcolm! 

I'm rather curious to know what glue you use to (bravely) attach the styrene strips to the inside of the canopy? 

Edited by Madmax
spellcheck outguessing me.

5 hours ago, Kais said:

Mistral,
Nice work on the Delta.
Above you picture a pair of RPK 10s. Are those from Artman?
Are they commercially available??
Keep up the great work.

Thanks Kais - yes they are commercially available from ArtMan Delta. They have a Facebook page. Gregair, who posted just before you did, is one of the ArtMan guys.:)

And now for some more progress piccies. My subject is tail number 841 - one of two early mod Cheetah Ds painted in the "new" two tone grey around 2000. The early mod Cheetahs were initially painted in an attractive medium grey (like the Cheetah Es). Early mod Cheetah Ds had the original 09C engine with straight intake splitter plates, standard Mirage IIID/E undercarriage and framed windshield. They were later upgraded with 09K50 engines, scallop shaped intake splitter plates, 16 ton main undercarriage (similar to Kfir) and single piece windshield. According to Nic Scheltema (Cheetah11 on this forum), the upgrade to 09K50 wasn't so much to do with additional engine thrust but more for commonality in engine and flights ops with the single seat Cheetah C (Nic, I hope I got this right...:ph34r:). Anyway, #841 had the 2 Squadron flying Cheetah squadron badge applied to both sides of the vertical stabiliser and in the case of this particular aircraft only, had a red circle around the badge. For this I used the MavDecals badge provided with the ScaleWorks conversion set and masked and airbrushed the red ring.

Cheetah D 93

Cheetah D had no Castles on the lower wing surfaces. Here I'm applying an oil wash (Ammo / MiG starship wash) which will then be worked in with a damp cloth using white spirits.

Cheetah D 92

Here is the finish on the lower right wing. Lower left still to go - you can see the difference between clean and grubby :

Cheetah D 91