Border Model BF004 1/35 Spitfire

LSP_Kevin

39 minutes ago, quang said:

I’m well aware that the Border is a different mark from the Kotare.

What I meant is this: if I were persuaded that Kotare produces the best Spitfire kit around, why don’t I wait until they release the variant I’m looking for instead of wasting my time discussing another brand and more over another scale? 
Ah… but it’s only old grumpy me. ;)

Ah, Good points as always , if you're grumpy don't feel like the lone ranger. To be honest , I 'm looking to get into the "early spit marks and I was possibly looking at this one as a cheaper alternative, but no . I'm with you in that I'll wait for Kotare to release a MKVa which I believe they are going to do. I'm going for "bang for the buck "  

On 8/13/2023 at 5:02 PM, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

The horizontal stabs look to be ribbed like they're fabric covered [ surely not]. I'm no whizz bang on spitfires but IF that's the case , that ain't right, someone else please take a look and tell me I'm seeing things. Saw a build up of their Merlin,  I'm not impressed at all! T6here's like these big blocky things that the exhaust stacks mount to[?]

That “feature” is directly copied from the Trumpeter 1/24 and HobbyBoss 1/32 kits. The Border cockpit looks like the Trumpeter 1/24 kit as it has the fictitious floor and a seat that bears no resemblance to any Spitfire seat ever. 

On 8/13/2023 at 5:02 PM, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

The horizontal stabs look to be ribbed like they're fabric covered [ surely not]. I'm no whizz bang on spitfires but IF that's the case , that ain't right, someone else please take a look and tell me I'm seeing things. Saw a build up of their Merlin,  I'm not impressed at all! T6here's like these big blocky things that the exhaust stacks mount to[?]

The seat is just horrible too. It looks the same as the one in the Trumpeter 1/24 kit. It’s so bad it isn’t even inaccurate; accuracy assumes there are measurements you can compare.

52 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

The seat is just horrible too. It looks the same as the one in the Trumpeter 1/24 kit. It’s so bad it isn’t even inaccurate; accuracy assumes there are measurements you can compare.

I saw the seat on another forum, and ,yeah, what in the hell were they looking at. While I'm no Spitfire expert by any measure , I know that ain't right, this is a hard pass for me. They just didn't do their homework on this one. The FW looks good though and so does the Kate so they're capable of doing quality work, this isn't it.

2 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Look carefully, they are ribbed.

One side seems to clearly be riveted, but the other side does seem to show some sort of ribbing (with no rivets), which is totally weird, at least to me.

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

One side seems to clearly be riveted, but the other side does seem to show some sort of ribbing (with no rivets), which is totally weird, at least to me.

So maybe my eyes aren't quite as clipped out as I thought. If so that IS totally weird, What were they looking at me wonders?

14 hours ago, ScoobyDoo said:

I wish they would skip over the Va and go straight to the Vb. I know I’m skipping it.

There’s very little difference externally between a late Mk.II and the Mk.Va. I think the main thing is going to be the prop and spinner because the later Mk.IIs had the enlarged oil cooler with the circular opening. So, the Va makes sense just from the point of view of maximising the use of the molds. The Mk.Vb and Mk.Vc will each need a new wing mold and later Vb’s and Vc’s had a new armoured windscreen so additional clear parts will be required. 

Kotare is a small company with essentially one product at this point and I’m sure they need to maximise income so they can fund kits of new subjects.

On 8/19/2023 at 1:12 AM, VMA131Marine said:

There’s very little difference externally between a late Mk.II and the Mk.Va. I think the main thing is going to be the prop and spinner because the later Mk.IIs had the enlarged oil cooler with the circular opening. So, the Va makes sense just from the point of view of maximising the use of the molds. The Mk.Vb and Mk.Vc will each need a new wing mold and later Vb’s and Vc’s had a new armoured windscreen so additional clear parts will be required. 

Kotare is a small company with essentially one product at this point and I’m sure they need to maximise income so they can fund kits of new subjects.

Add in Douglas Badger Bader (don’t ya luv auto correct!) and you have very saleable commodity for a Va.

Edited thanks to auto correct. Maybe a new subject for a pilot figure! Doug Badger….:rolleyes:

Edited by Pete Roberts