ZM Bf109 G-14/U4 - Mojo Has Returned: Into the Home Stretch

Cycling Guy

1 hour ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Ref the plywood in the floor:  just flow a thin light tan colored wash over the offending part and it will be spot-on.  Oh, and we’re going to need for you to swear on a stack of something that you’ve been away from the bench for a decade because I just ain’t seeing it in your work.  Same goes for some of you other “I just came back to modeling after living in a yeti colony in the Himalayas for the last fifty years” guys.  All you guys are killing it.

I think planning and patience did a lot for me. I also took a long look at my ego and told it to shut the **** up. I also approached this as a piece of art and embracing the process and seeing how others accomplished similar results. 

I happened to complete a 1/35 Tamiya Char B1 Bis just before starting this one; the kit almost put itself together. 

53105288083_ea354f5902_h.jpg53104783216_44e4c4e044_h.jpg

53105288073_d5f8c40576_h.jpg

53104783176_d7b445fec6_h.jpg

Edited by Cycling Guy

1 hour ago, Uncarina said:

I really like your approach and you are really bringing this kit to life. Well done!

Cheers,  Tom (another cycling guy)

Thanks, Tom!

I think bringing builds to life is what brought me back to the forum. I was hesitant because I am a much tougher critic with respect to my work, but at the end of the day none of that really matters unless I want it to matter.

Stay safe out on the bike! I've been riding / racing since I was a kid and am lucky enough to work in the industry.

Very nice start for this Bf 109. :goodjob:

Small question: I don't know this ZM kit at all and I would like to know if there are optional parts in this kit for a 3-part canopy and / or a classic vertical stab (I want to make a G-6 " normal")?

Edited by Furie

14 minutes ago, Furie said:

Very nice start for this Bf 109. :goodjob:

Small question: I don't know this ZM kit at all and I would like to know if there are optional parts in this kit for a 3-part canopy and / or a classic vertical stab (I want to make a G-6 " normal")?

There are definitely additional parts - I believe they will build to a G6 (like the 3 part canopy, different tank between legs, floor plate, nose panels, and more), but I can't say for sure. Checking some of the sprue shots might give you an idea what to expect.

Thank you John for these clarifications even if it is not quite the same kit.

There indeed from what I see, it considerably expands the versions that can be made.

Among other things a classic G-6. Thank you very much for these details.

2 hours ago, Furie said:

Thank you John for these clarifications even if it is not quite the same kit.

There indeed from what I see, it considerably expands the versions that can be made.

Among other things a classic G-6. Thank you very much for these details.

My sprue shots are of the same kit that is being built here: Z-M Bf109G-14/U4 (SWS-18, now out of production).  More specific information on building a G-6 from this particular kit can be found at:

https://www.hyperscale.com/2022/reviews/kits/zm18reviewbg_1.htm

Thank you for this full of information.

It really is the kit for me and I think it bury the kits of G-6 Revell, Trumpetter and Hasegawa by far.

Ite missa est. 

I am at the finish line with the main portion of the build. I haven't gotten to this point in about 15 years and I'm excited and a bit anxious; taking my time so I don't mess things up.

Some things to note

• The masks included with the kit aren't an exact match to the cut out. I'll have to use some masking fluid to get full coverage.
  • Masking the cockpit is going to be interesting. I haven't figured out how to do this in a robust way.
  • Once the upper surface of the radiator flaps have set, i'll mask them off with a combination of tape and sponge.
  • I need to assemble the canopy with armored glass + frame - then attach to the kit.
  • I'll leave the tires, bay doors, exhaust pipes for the end

53119427050_bd318c02fb_h.jpg

53119021261_ccf74c8b22_h.jpg

53119221489_896bf492d5_h.jpg

Up Next: Primer and pre-shading!

Looks good... nice and clean work!  I would be careful with the Z-M supplied masks.  Probably ok on the windscreen as the glass components are mostly flat.  But I would avoid on curved surfaces like the Galland hood, if you are using that.  Here's an example of the paint masks lifting on my Ta-152 build...

IMG-7810.jpg

One option for masking off the cockpit area is to temporarily glue the canopy with white glue.  Of course, you'd want to mask the canopy frames before that.

All looks very good! Now not the best picture but this is how I masked up my recently completed G-10. All done with Tamiya masking tape and a coat of masking fluid for good measure. Also I carefully taped a piece of paper over the seatbelt anchor points so as not to spoil  this area with any adhesive tape. Hope that helps.

20230331-212429.jpg

Regards. Andy 

48 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

Looks good... nice and clean work!  I would be careful with the Z-M supplied masks.  Probably ok on the windscreen as the glass components are mostly flat.  But I would avoid on curved surfaces like the Galland hood, if you are using that.  Here's an example of the paint masks lifting on my Ta-152 build...

IMG-7810.jpg

One option for masking off the cockpit area is to temporarily glue the canopy with white glue.  Of course, you'd want to mask the canopy frames before that.

I noticed it on the inside frame but not so much on the outside. I burnished it down well, but I might as well seal it too or replace them if I start to see lifting.