Modelling with a theme - "One of each Nation"

Hi guys. A little while ago I asked if it was ok to show my 'theme' although they are not all new, asked if it was ok for RFI... it was, so here we go:

Although I've had themes earlier (aces, specific squadrons etc) then this one has stuck for quite a while. It offers me not only a lot of modelling variety, but also a lot of research that I also like a lot.

Generally the theme is 'Do one from each nation that participated in WWII" but I suppose it needs a little explanation. Naturally many nations did not have an air force that participated in WWII, but many participated in other air forces. Well known examples of these are Poles and Czech's in the RAF. Also if people of a certain nationality participated in different air forces then it's fair game to do one from each air force. An example of this is France, where pre-surrender French airforce, Vichy, RAF and VVS are good to go. Finally I'm a bit relaxed about the legitimate nationality - for some it's difficult to determine. For instance Kenneth Charney was born in Argentina, but I havent been able to determine if he was legitimately an Argentinian, I know his dad was british... but that's good enough for me.

I have a spreadsheet with a lot of topics arranged in Done, WIP, ready (research done, stuff in the stash), need (research done, need stuff) and research ongoing. At the present time i have 15 done (not counting the 'boring' german in Luftwaffe, american in USAAF, brit in RAF). At present that represents around 1/3 to 1/2 my collection. I have two WIP and 18 'ready to go'

Ok - let me show you

Revell Bf109G-6 flown by Hungarian ace Lazlo Molnar. I'm a little bit embarrassed to admit that this is the 3rd attempt at doing this camo - but I just had to do it...

UqMB2bE.jpgPiT4s8j.jpg

Hasegawa Bf109G-4 flown by Slovakian ace Jan Gerthofer - spinner and cowl dot were quite a challenge with this one

Cw2U4yG.jpg

Euxr77W.jpg

Tamiya A6M3 Zero (combination of A6M5 and A6M2 kit) flow by IJNAF ace Hioryoshi Nishizawa.

epXZRRG.jpg

NdAtGKb.jpg

Eduard Bf109B (using the excellent Alleycat conversion) flown by german ace Günther Lutzow - no that's not cheating, it's a german in the Nationalist Spanish airforce. Lutzow scored the first kill for the 109 in this machine. I have Avia C199 coversion in my stash for the last kill - an american in IAF (granted it's after WWII but not by much)

RaqXxAw.jpg

OSnniob.jpg

Revell Bf109G-10 Erla flown by Italian ace Adriano Visconti.

TR17iKt.jpg

wXtB8xF.jpg

Hasegawa Fw190A-5 flown by Austrian ace Walter Nowotny - I always loved this camo

J1ijaeC.jpg

Xt9pFQb.jpg

Tamiya Spitfire XVI flown by Belgian ace Raymond Lallemant - what a fantastic kit this is, got me started on a spitfire streak :-)

eXzBKcr.jpg

z1yCNnm.jpg

Hasegawa Ju87G-2 flow by Czech Josef Blümel

EMYmwyn.jpg

ZhztgOb.jpg

Trumpeter Bf109F-4, really a G-2 in the box so done as that, flown by Finn Eero Riihikallio in the Finnish air force. Not a very well known guy but that camo... wow

w3CPWqQ.jpg

0bA03ok.jpg

Hasegawa Bf109G-10 built as the well known Croatian bird that Vladimir Sandtner defected with and landed in Italy. It was earlier flown by Croation ace Zlatko Stipcic

qZF2vRy.jpg

aPM3VWU.jpg

Tigger (ID models) Kawasaki Ki-45 Nick flown by Japanese ace Isamu Kashiide - the "king of B-29 killers". Note this is IJAAF while the other japanese was IJNAF :-) Being a vacform this was quite a voyage to finish it - but a lot of fun

YvrbEIg.jpg

cJjRhLV.jpg

ICM's little I-16 flown by Russian ace Boris Safonov 

QyS21p3.jpg

xchmKQK.jpg

ICM's super Gladiator flown by well known South African Ace Pat Pattle

f7QXrIC.jpg

k0kruF3.jpg

Hobbyboss' Spitfire mk Vb done up as a bird flown by Danish pilots Svendsen (on the wing) and Thalbitzer (leaning over fuselage) to replicate a 'famous' picture.
Being danish I'm looking for pictures of the planes flown by danes in the Luftwaffe. One day I might resort to do Prince Heinrich zu Sayn-Wittgenstein, the famous nightfighter ace - who was born in Copenhagen, although it was of diplomat parents, so it's a bit of a stretch

XhkKA30.jpg

yoC9cbV.jpg

0b6PfYH.jpg

Special Hobby Tempest Mk V - done as well known French ace Pierre Closterman in the RAF. I chose this one of Clostermans as it was the one he landed with in Copenhagen the day after the German surrender

kYyQOod.jpg

lYQlWR0.jpg

Tamiya P-51D done as Korean ace Fred Ohr in the USAAF

NOmAoeu.jpg

rDW37j6.jpg

Trumpeter P-47D Razorback flown by Greek ace Spiros 'Steve' Pisanos in the USAAF

Z1393HE.jpg

MKDxIXj.jpg

And finally - my two present WIP's... 

Tamiya Spitfire VIII flown by Australian Robin Gibbs

94IHoD5.jpg

VhEiAf6.jpg

and Revell Spitfire IX flown by Russian Emmanuel Galitzine. Galitzine was born in Russia in 1918 as the great grandson of Catarina the Great and Emperor Paul III. 1918 was a very unhealthy time to be royal in Russia so the family left for GB. Galitzine was in a high-altitude unit, where he participated in the highest combat of WWII (45.000 ft) when he damaged a Ju86P. Serial on the plane is BF273, but it was actually BS273 painted on in error by the crew

wneB3Iv.jpg

ZoFw6H5.jpg

This is as mentioned the majority - got a few 'boring' ones that technically qualify, but lets stop here

Edited by Thomas Lund

Awesome collection!

I see that you already have a Russian in the mix, but would a female Russian ace still be allowed??

One of the Night Witches: Lilya Litvyak

she flew the Yak-1 and -9. 
https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2017/10/06/short-daring-life-lilya-litvyak-white-rose-stalingrad/

:beer:

Cheers, 

Dave

8 hours ago, Hartmann352 said:

but would a female Russian ace still be allowed??

One of the Night Witches: Lilya Litvyak she flew the Yak-1 and -9. 

Fortunately I'm the one making the rules :D so yes Litvyak would be interesting to do. If anyone else have any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them...

Everyone: thanks

A few ideas for Brazil :

O-Tenente-Aviador-Roberto-Tormin-Costa.j

sentapua2.jpg?resize=600,388&ssl=1

4240b82f3c80f0110c28e90572b9037a.jpg?res

And "Screwball" Beurling, Canada's most famous WW2 fighter pilot:

george-beurling-909dd555-841d-454f-8e32-

gal_Spitfire_Eduard_48_Beurling_008-1110

In one of his books, P. Clostermann talked about this pilot's exploits, and I think it was from that moment on that this pilot literally fascinated me.

Edited by Furie

Hi Furie - thanks for the feedback

I've looked at a brazilian who whacked a chimney after a low level attack - would be interesting to do
Brazilian-P-47-after-impact-with-chimney

Canada - Beurling for sure, but I lean towards a Malta bird. After all that's where he really shone

Norway - Not totally decided... looking at a RAF spit with the norwegian colors around the gun barrels, but I really want to avoid too many Spits and Hurricanes in standard RAF camo - gets a bit boring. Also a Gladiator (would allow me to do that wonderfull kit again) from RNoAF during the German invasion

New Zealand - just got hold of a P-40M and plan to do Fisken's well known. Also I found a Maori that flew Buffalo's... that would be interesting

Netherlands - just exactly started on a Hellcat that is to be flown by de Beijn in FAA (Royal Navy). Also working on getting a Fokker D XXI that is to be flown by van der Stok.

Poland - many choices, Gnys in PZL-11 from Polish AF, and either (or both) Horbaczewski in a RAF P-51B or Skalski in a RAF Spit IX in desert colors

Czechoslovakia - already did Blümel, but also a classic Frantisek in a RAF Hurricane

All together I have 41 in the 'Ready' category (research done, stuff bought) and in the 'Need' category (research done, stuff needed)