F-4EJ help needed

gregh

So, I inherited a Revell F-4G kit from my fathers stash, and I am planning to build it in his memory. (he was very excited about this kit)

My question, as I'm not a phantom aficionado, is, what would I need to replace to convert this into an RF-4ej? I had my eye on these decals from DMX:

https://dxmdecals.com/shopping/ols/products/132-jasdf-rf-4ej-phantom-ii-501sq-last-year-2020-wo-stencil

I was looking around and have at minimum decided on the GT 'E' nose correction, belly strap and exhausts. I'll likely go with 3d decals from someone for the pit, and dad already bought brassin seats so they're taken care of. Any other must haves for this kit?

Thanks in advance

You’d need to build the kit as an F-4E, and not use the G model parts.  So, use the E gun muzzle, plain fin top, and E rear instrument panel.  Those parts should still be in the kit as I think all of the G parts on separate sprues that were added to the original sprues.  The biggest issue is that all Japanese F-4s had non-slatted wings.  It’s easy enough to leave off the inner wing slat actuators, since they are stick on parts, but the outer wing panels are for the slatted wing.  You’d need the non-slatted outer wing panels from the RF-4 kits, or from the Academy reboxing of the Revell kit, which has both sets of outer wings.

Also, you don’t need the aftermarket belly strap.  Those were only used on slatted wing aircraft, and the Japan didn’t use those.

If you want to be even more realistic, that aircraft is a -Kai, so you’d need the Wolfpack F-4EJ -Kai conversion.  Plus, you’d need to find one of the centerline recon pods, which I’m not sure that anyone makes.  HTH.

27 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

You’d need to build the kit as an F-4E, and not use the G model parts.  So, use the E gun muzzle, plain fin top, and E rear instrument panel.  Those parts should still be in the kit as I think all of the G parts on separate sprues that were added to the original sprues.  The biggest issue is that all Japanese F-4s had non-slatted wings.  It’s easy enough to leave off the inner wing slat actuators, since they are stick on parts, but the outer wing panels are for the slatted wing.  You’d need the non-slatted outer wing panels from the RF-4 kits, or from the Academy reboxing of the Revell kit, which has both sets of outer wings.

Also, you don’t need the aftermarket belly strap.  Those were only used on slatted wing aircraft, and the Japan didn’t use those.

If you want to be even more realistic, that aircraft is a -Kai, so you’d need the Wolfpack F-4EJ -Kai conversion.  Plus, you’d need to find one of the centerline recon pods, which I’m not sure that anyone makes.  HTH.

That's exactly the kind of info i was after thanks! Perhaps it's a bit too much to convert this kit into a -EJ. 

I’m not sure that I’d give up on it.  The main thing you need is the non-slatted outer wing panels.  You could ask if anyone has them as spare from a wrecked kit, or from the Academy boxing, or wants to swap for the slatted wing panels.  That will give a passable F-4EJ.  The need for the  -Kai conversion and recon pod depends on the degree of accuracy you need.  The RF-4EJ is just a gun nosed F-4EJ that carries a recon pod on the centerline pylon.

14 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I’m not sure that I’d give up on it.  The main thing you need is the non-slatted outer wing panels.  You could ask if anyone has them as spare from a wrecked kit, or from the Academy boxing, or wants to swap for the slatted wing panels.  That will give a passable F-4EJ.  The need for the  -Kai conversion and recon pod depends on the degree of accuracy you need.  The RF-4EJ is just a gun nosed F-4EJ that carries a recon pod on the centerline pylon.

A very valid point indeed. Truth be told I'm not a big phantom guy, so I would like to at least build something colorful to stand out. I was also Looking at the turkish Nato phantom. Slatted wing/colorful as heck. Might be a contender. 

9 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

That's wonderful! Thanks!

hi

another "hard " point if you want to build an EJ phantom ,are the stencils , the fuselage , wings , the bottom fuselage too , are full of stencils which are specific to the Jap F 4 

unfortunately , the DXM you are referring , doesn't provide stencils . However the Academy kit supplies these stencils :hmmm:

with a bit of scratch build you can build a RF4 EJ , I mean not the Kay version .. if you allow 

Alain

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fforum.largescaleplanes.com%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F96118-rf-4ej-phantom-501st-reconnaissance-squadron%2F&psig=AOvVaw3NKTonfQy-GQMFs9YT0B48&ust=1682872277456000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=2ahUKEwi56tXzwc_-AhUIsCcCHU5UDkoQr4kDegQIARAq 

I'm doing the same version in 1/48 and one thing I noticed is that the RF-4EJ doesn't have the wingtips and radome that the Kai does. They look to be the standard wing tips and nose. 

So that's a couple fewer items that would be needed. 

Carl

On 4/29/2023 at 4:17 PM, Dave Williams said:

That small conversion was one of the first in Wolfpack line,long OOP,tried to ask them on their FB page-no answer

And no substitute

22 hours ago, iaf-man said:

That small conversion was one of the first in Wolfpack line,long OOP,tried to ask them on their FB page-no answer

And no substitute

I found one on eBay 5-6 months ago (finally - been looking for a loong time) for my latest build - ended up being one of the most expensive sets I have ever bought *sigh*

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/96549-132-f-4ej-kai-jasdf-50th-anniversary-3rd-wing/

If Jan Kopecky would those parts it would be seriously cool

/Niels

10 hours ago, Zola25 said:

I found one on eBay 5-6 months ago (finally - been looking for a loong time) for my latest build - ended up being one of the most expensive sets I have ever bought *sigh*

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/96549-132-f-4ej-kai-jasdf-50th-anniversary-3rd-wing/

If Jan Kopecky would those parts it would be seriously cool

/Niels

I watched your build, which really gave me the push to do a Japanese phantom. After seeing the asking prices of the wolfpack set though, that is one detail I can likely live with out. Amazing build btw.

The Wolfpack Kai set always was pricey. I have one which I'm now unlikely to use but sending anything beyond the shores of the GB mainland as tracked postage is hideously expensive. A pity.

Tony