Spraybooth Recommendations?

PlamoSnep

I bought one of a version of that spray booth but found I thought it was a bit small for 1/32 models. I found a link to a bit larger booth and used that information to build my own. It is still perhaps on the smaller side depending upon what model you're painting, but It's better. It is 24" wide, inside, and about 15" deep before the filter. I used a 'hose' from the booth that is similar to the one you're showing on the self-built booth. The hose I have is ~4" diameter (12.5 square inches) and the square exhaust from the fan is 4" square (16 square inches).

Homemade spray booth for models – Model Supplies (hobbyzero.com)

JxO3T8.jpg

895CGJ.jpg

Something to remember if you use a fan like what I've used. The exhaust outside should be close to the same size (square inches, square mm) as the fan exhaust opening because some of the air that is exhausted is drawn in through the motor to cool the motor. (That type fan does not have the motor in the paint air flow.) If you don't move enough air, the motor will overheat and usually the small temperature device in the motor will shut off the motor. I learned this from an earlier paint booth that I built where the fan exhaust is 6" square (36 square inches, and I was using a 4" diameter hose (12.5 square inches). It overheated and shut off in the middle of painting.

15 hours ago, denders said:

I bought one of a version of that spray booth but found I thought it was a bit small for 1/32 models. I found a link to a bit larger booth and used that information to build my own. It is still perhaps on the smaller side depending upon what model you're painting, but It's better. It is 24" wide, inside, and about 15" deep before the filter. I used a 'hose' from the booth that is similar to the one you're showing on the self-built booth. The hose I have is ~4" diameter (12.5 square inches) and the square exhaust from the fan is 4" square (16 square inches).

Homemade spray booth for models – Model Supplies (hobbyzero.com)

JxO3T8.jpg

895CGJ.jpg

Something to remember if you use a fan like what I've used. The exhaust outside should be close to the same size (square inches, square mm) as the fan exhaust opening because some of the air that is exhausted is drawn in through the motor to cool the motor. (That type fan does not have the motor in the paint air flow.) If you don't move enough air, the motor will overheat and usually the small temperature device in the motor will shut off the motor. I learned this from an earlier paint booth that I built where the fan exhaust is 6" square (36 square inches, and I was using a 4" diameter hose (12.5 square inches). It overheated and shut off in the middle of painting.

That looks great!

Unfortunately building my own isn't an option as I don't own any of the tools required and buying them would be significantly more expensive than just buying a pre-built spraybooth.

I bought the 15 x 20 from Micro Mark a few years ago.  I love it and it is large enough for 1/32 unless you're building something like a Catalina.  The 15 x 30 would of course be better.

BUT . . . in researching this for you I was SHOCKED to see that their paint booths are now about $150 more expensive for each than what I paid.  :angry2:

https://www.micromark.com/search?keywords=paint booth

On 1/22/2023 at 6:59 PM, amurray said:

I bought the 15 x 20 from Micro Mark a few years ago.  I love it and it is large enough for 1/32 unless you're building something like a Catalina.  The 15 x 30 would of course be better.

BUT . . . in researching this for you I was SHOCKED to see that their paint booths are now about $150 more expensive for each than what I paid.  :angry2:

https://www.micromark.com/search?keywords=paint booth

Oh cool to see these are still available, i forget the real brand of these but they stopped selling then a while back. @Out2gtcha has one also that he modded with a nice light

I built my own , put the 15x20 mentioned by ammuray was my buy option. 

My first spray booth was very similar to that one and found it a bit small for 1/32 scale aircraft, and I thought the booth's ability to evacuate the spray mist to be a bit anemic.  There is a model of that brand that combines two of the booths together to increase the size.  I don' know if that version also increases the motor's power.  Paasche makes a very good spray booth that comes in two models, a 22" wide one for somewhere between $300 - $350 and a 30" one with two motors for around $500 - $550.  My second booth was the 22" model and while the evacuation of fumes was much better than my previous booth, fumes could still escape during spray sessions where I was laying down a lot of paint.  

Finally, I bit the bullet and spent some cash on a Pace Peacekeeper Deluxe that is large enough to spray just about any model I might build and the evacuation motor is a beast that sucks away mist and fumes regardless of how much paint I'm spraying.  Pace also sells some less expensive models that have the same performance but are smaller the the 36" wide Peacekeeper Deluxe.  There are also some booths that graphic aritists use that are in the smae class as the Pace booths, and cost as much or more.

Ernest

• 4 months later...

For the DIY-inclined (I built my own spray booth, using the same plans as denders above), I ran across  this amazing post on r/modelmakers:

IMG-2103.jpg

This genius built a downdraft right into his workbench!  I’m considering doing this myself for my own new workspace after the move

On 1/22/2023 at 6:59 PM, amurray said:

in researching this for you I was SHOCKED to see that their paint booths are now about $150 more expensive for each than what I paid.

Yes, but it's still cheaper than the one they copied to make "theirs".