1/35 HH-60G pavehawk

matt_1185

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Hi Matt, find pictures of actual chipping that appeal to you (they don't have to be any particular subject)

and look closely at them. Scuffing / chipping are rarely just one color / intensity. Of course practice.

Your build looking good.

how do you do chipping ?  I think I’ll strip mine down again and try again 

21 minutes ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

I think you can improve this chipping by taking a small bit of fine grade sandpaper and carefully (and locally) sand the edges of the black where the chipping occurs.  Once you get to see the yellow peeking through (slightly) stop and move on.  Later you can refine more if you think it looks too artificial

Been rethinking my answer above.  I think to minimize the chance of artificial look you can change your sandpaper to different grades of fine paper.  That way you will get different scratches.  Look also at the space between the seats (where you limited the paint cover, presumably because this will be hidden by something).  try to get various types of impressions of that kind of cover around each 'chipping' markl.

6 minutes ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

Been rethinking my answer above.  I think to minimize the chance of artificial look you can change your sandpaper to different grades of fine paper.  That way you will get different scratches.  Look also at the space between the seats (where you limited the paint cover, presumably because this will be hidden by something).  try to get various types of impressions of that kind of cover around each 'chipping' markl.

ok thanks I’ll spray some extra parts and do some practicing! Thanks 

Just now, matt_1185 said:

ok thanks I’ll spray some extra parts and do some practicing! Thanks 

Also wouldn't hurt to have the colour of the primer (asssuming you used one) 'shining' through in the largest of the yellow patches - this would suggest wearing through the different layers all the way to the metal.

Ok iv been doing some practice and doing the hairspray technique and I think iv got it figured out lol 2 hair spray brands later and 3 test parts and a lot  of painting lol 

test part below

0rJTK03.jpg

h9YRlmv.jpg

now I can retry on the pavehawks floor. I  got it all scraped off, primed and base coated I’ll let it dry over night then I’ll hit it with some hair spray and top coat and will report back tomorrow   Wish me luck lol 

Edited by matt_1185
Spelling