Are we doing this? Second LSP as an Adult—Tamiya F4U-1A? Throttle up for detail 7/7/23

Citadelgrad

8 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

But definitely not interior green, though, right?  

Right - Mine, on the 1/18 build, are the same green as most of the rest of the cockpit (interior green?).  Tamiya AS-14 Olive Green (USAAF).   FWIW.  I was happy enough to somehow get them in there at all!  Let's not talk about this too much, will re-introduce my cockpit PTSD.     

1 hour ago, Rampenfest said:

This build is coming along nicely! Love the cockpit painting. I am excited to see the rest of the progress and the finished build! The Tamiya kits are really nice, and everything just “fits” which can be a nice change of pace from sanding/filling on other kits. Happy building! 

Thanks for following, Rampenfest!

taking info from my thread about the apparent color of the foot troughs, i have totally reversed course on their color, THEN decided no color, or aluminum, was the way they will be on this bird. 

i am also trying to pick logical subassemblies to his with varying colors, mostly interior green and dark dull green, for variety that doesnt look forced. 

here is where we are as of tonight.  None of the newly painted parts have had a wash or any weathering yet.  

but it gives a flavor of whether my method is just madness

heres the photo that started this

taUFiA.jpg

And here is the firewall or at least front cockpit wall with ddg pedals in contrast. 
5TOmtb.jpg

This is all just dry fit at this point of course. It all fits amazingly well, and stays ok without cement, but the second i try to rotate it to get good lighting or camera angle, it goes all pickup sticks on me. 

Heres a close up of the aluminum trough on the ddg frame

tpUFxm.jpg

sorry for the blur, every single time i didnt hold it it would rotate and dump the trough off just as i was trying to snap the photo. 
Here’s as much as i could get to stay together for a photo, the troughs excluded as they just would not stay in place. 
N4wNL5.jpg

The pegs closest to the camera are messing up the shot, the close ups make them huge and they arent painted.   I will try to get some better angles. 

more to come, folks, thanks so much for following this build. 

Bill

I looked back at the thread showing aluminum troughs, and, naturally, i spotted something i had missed. 

the lightening holes in the trough supports, faithfully reproduced in the Tamiya parts…are actually holes, and they are st depressions in the plastic part.  

so I carefully drilled them out.  Likely never to be seen, “but at least i know its there”, right?

8V7h6k.jpg

still some minor clean up after the drilling, then a paint touch up, then a wash….

Nice progress Bill!  Great job drilling out the lightening holes, and as you said, you know they are there and took the time to get it right.  I know the pain of trying to get decent photos at the bench.  I run into the same issues you are having, as well as proper lighting for photos.  

Ernest

A bit more progress.  In an effort to make the cockpit area interesting or at least not monochrome, i am trying to walk the fine line between “random interesting color” and “desperate patchwork quilt”, i am picking out logical subassemblies and components that might be a little bit of a shade off.  

some of this is alternating between interior green and dark dull green, and some of it is a drop or three of a darker or lighter color after spraying some interior green.  Heres a sample of some major components, no weathering yet.  
orU9b7.jpg

p7a5e7.jpg

Here is a shot of the foot trough repainted after drilling out the lightening holes

ynr99B.jpg

Preview of things to come

tgUPve.jpg

Chugging along the complex cockpit. 

i am working on picking out the excellent button, switch, dial, and breaker detail.

i added a punched out disc to smooth the fuel selector after cutting off the dial so the decal will sit properly. 
sqa4P3.jpg

Then i picked out these dials.  They are black in the photos, but monochrome hides the detail, so…

14BftW.jpg

Then i added some white for some prominent buttons/breakers after painting the disc

D4UNnD.jpg

k8enwd.jpg

i know its not perfect under the macro lens, not much is, but from a foot away, i am really happy with the results so far.  The incredible detail helps a lot.

First pass on the silver switches is done.  I went back and found another button and made it white. 

progress shots 

NDc03b.jpg

bOxMxy.jpg

Xj2jFu.jpg

took the HGW belts out of the package, then looked at the clock, and decided to just study the instructions for a bit and then head back inside.  

thats all for a weeknight.