Valiant Wings Publishing Airframe & Miniature No. 17: The Messerschmitt Bf 110

LSP_Kevin

Howdy folks,

I've just published my long overdue look at the new Valiant Wings Bf 110 book:

Valiant Wings Publishing Airframe & Miniature No. 17: The Messerschmitt Bf 110

2430-1.jpg

I'd love to see some discussion and clarification on my notes about the fins and rudders on the Bf 110G.

Many thanks to Valiant Wings Publishing for the review sample.

Enjoy!

Kev

26 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

I have a copy of this and it's an excellent book Kev, interestingly there is no reference in the modelling section to any of the excellent AIMS sets available!

A couple are listed, but definitely not all of them.

Kev

2 minutes ago, Mark P said:

It is my belief that the rudders were enlarged to increase stability after the radar dipoles were fitted. 

Mark Proulx

That's always been my understanding, too, but this book is a hive of contradictions on the issue.

Kev

A very fair and comprehensive review Kev, thank you!  Regarding the broader tailplane, there aren't many "authorities" whose opinions I would accept unreservedly, but John Vasco on Bf110s is one, qed:

RtbEHu.jpg

1Vhdps.jpg

I think I'd like to see one of these books before deciding to buy one, I've got quite a good number of books on the type and wonder if this adds anything substantial to the library.

Edited by mozart

Thanks, Max! John's caption suggests that only the rudders and trim tabs were enlarged, but most drawings I've seen show a different, larger shape to the fin as well. What's your take on that?

With regard to this book, it's main value is as a one-stop-shop for information on the Bf 110, and especially useful if you don't already have a substantial library of books on the type. But it really does have everything: development and service history, camouflage and markings, photos and drawings, colour profiles, scale plans, etc. But the lack of enlarged fins and rudders on any of the G-series profiles and isometric drawings did strike me as odd, and counter to my (admittedly limited) understanding of the situation.

Kev