Canadian Mosquitos (418 Sqn RCAF)

Due to the fact the the Mossie virus got me at last (actualy I'm a chronic patient suffering from the Mosquito fever) and reactivated  after persisting in my endothelial cells for ...I don't how many decades.... I 'm posting here some pics of the legendary intruder 418 Sqn RCAF, that borned many aces during the action from 1943-45.

You can read more off course in the net or in Osprey book of aces. Enjoy the pics...

418crest.jpg

Bannock and Bruce

34408956-650111845325668-684560775586512

bannock-bruce-PL-31295.jpg

418-Hairless-Joe.jpg

418-75-2.jpg

Kipp's Bkack RufeBlack-Rufe.jpg

Clebeland, Day and Luma, Finlayson

418a.jpg

2812768100104879278r-Xa-Etk-ph.jpg

Aviaeology-Mosquitos-Pt-1-21-transparent

Sid Seid and Dave McIntosh

sid-seid-mosquito-vi-from-418-squadron-j

Edited by Menelaos

418 Sqn originally flew the Douglas Boston in the Intruder role. One thing that really stood out for me as I researched 418 was the very high loss rate they encountered in training and ops with the Boston.

Of course, that all changed when the gave the Boston up for the Mosquito...

I had the pleasure of dining with Russ Bannock (Hairless Joe) in Toronto to discuss his wartime exploits. A similar thing with Lou Luma (Moonbeam McSwine) when he graciously welcomed me into his home just outside of Seattle, Wash. We spent an entire afternoon going over his history and discussing photos.

Sadly, both are no longer with us. Gone, but not forgotten...

Mark Proulx

Edited by Mark P

26 minutes ago, Mark P said:

418 Sqn originally flew the Douglas Boston in the Intruder role. One thing that really stood out for me as I researched 418 was the very high loss rate they encountered in training and ops with the Boston.

Of course, that all changed when the gave the Boston up for the Mosquito...

I had the pleasure of dining with Russ Bannock (Hairless Joe) in Toronto to discuss his wartime exploits. A similar thing with Lou Luma (Moonbeam McSwine) when he graciously welcomed me into his home just outside of Seattle, Wash. We spent an entire afternoon going over his history and discussing photos.

Sadly, both are no longer with us. Gone, but not forgotten...

Mark Proulx

Bannock died at 101 on Jan 4 2020!!

8 minutes ago, Grizly said:

Unfortunately for those now looking for 418 Squadron decals but Aviaeology once offered a decal set with an excellent choiice of 418 Squadron Mosquito subjects. The model below is Tamiya's 1/32 kit completed as Squadron Leader Vic Cherry's "Amigo Panchito" from those decals...

pmDR105.jpg 

The Tamiya Mosquito is a great one!.... great build!!

Menelaos:

Unfortunately, I have not been able to determine to what extent the dark coloration was applied to this aircraft. The problem  is, there shouldn't be any at all. Note the above build....

So the question remains, is the dark color applicable to the rudder (we just see the tip in your photo) only or does it cover a broader surface. How did the dark color even get applied to the tail? It isn't normal on a Mk VI. A replacement vertical surface or rudder off a Mk IV? Or, just a non-standard paint scheme applied. I don't know and the answer eludes me.

Sorry, wish I could of more help.

Mark Proulx

The Aviaeology instructions discuss the question of the Bannock's rudder's colour and offer three possibilities but no definitive answer. The instructions/decals also offer three interpretations of the "Hairless Joe" nose art. The uncertainty was a factor in my choosing "Amigo Panchito" as the subject of my model.