1/48 Airfix DH Chipmunk New Tool 2021

Panzerwomble

But first some history ....

In 1966 the Britannia Royal Naval College at Roborough, Plymouth, acquired Chipmunks previously stored at Kemble’s No 5 Maintenance Unit. These totaled 16 aircraft, of which 12 replaced their Tiger moth predecessors in the basic RN flight grading role at Roborough. The other four variously served with 771 and 781 Squadrons elsewhere for communications work and as glider tugs

They were received painted silver, but sometime in the early 1970’s, all got repainted in Light Aircraft Grey, with the red Hi Vis panels being a stand out recognition feature. They were numbered 901-912 and continued in service until November 1994 . Most RN pilots over this period would have been initially graded flying in them during a 12 week course, before being selected to go onto more advanced training.

As a young lad I used to watch these fly around doing their circuits and bumps , hoping for the day I would fly one myself on the way to becoming a RN pilot . Myself and a friend got invited around the hanger by the staff one day, which was a highlight after a summer with noses pressed up against the windows, or sat behind the wire watching the runway. Back then, encouraging youngsters perhaps seemed more important than the Heath and Safety culture we have now.

I took a few photos during that time sadly only the first one here has survived the passage of 42 years

The Royal Navy Historic Flight received WK608 “906” using it as a tailwheel trainer and occasional support/display aircraft. It is the basis of Airfix’s new 1/48 scale kit that came out in June 2021.

A2-F066-D0-F59-D-4-F44-AD47-6815-BF9-C0-

I did the old 1/72 Chippy way back when – sadly  it’s a subject that has been largely ignored. Airfix did a 1/72 in 1969, AZ in 2017, Aeroclub did a 1/48 Resin one in the early 90’s, Tigger does a Vac form in 1/32 …. And that’s kind of it until 2021 with the release of this 1/48 from Airfix.

I’ve wanted to do a another Roborough one for a long time, so was delighted to hear of this release, even better that it contained the RN marking I wanted.

The kit is typical “new” Airfix for me, soft plastic, half decent fit, some of the riveting a bit overdone and had to be sanded back, but otherwise good. No PE, metal parts or any really fine detail. I always get the feeling they hold back from “truly excellent” for fear of alienating their fan base. I built the Tiger Moth and the Gnat last year, & felt the same way about those releases as well.   The decals are really a high point , very thin , great printing and don’t rip . The “pilots” look like they were pulled from the 1951 rejects bin .

It went together fine, the canopy is a little over done given it is so thick, but fit was acceptable all round. What I failed to notice is that the RN paint scheme given in the kit, although similar, is in fact based on the restored version from 2009, which differs from the 1980 paint job. The restoration has larger red areas and different radio fit with different antennas. Luckily I picked this up before it was irreparable, although I don’t like to paint things twice.

Though no convincing proof has surfaced, rumours are sometimes heard that Roborough’s ‘old and bold’ civilian instructors landed Chipmunks on HMS Eagle, when the decommissioned carrier was at anchor in Devonport awaiting disposal in the early 70’s. Though likely apocryphal, the fact that poles were apparently placed on deck to dissuade would-be aeronautical borders gives a certain tantalizing edge to the story.

906-1.jpg

So another bit of my past put to bed in scale. Unfortunately, I never got the chance to fly one or join the Navy, courtesy of an idiot called Ishihara….

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Wonderful story and model!  I really wish someone would put out an LSP Chippy. Its such an iconic aircraft, but SO dinky IRL it wouldnt even be that big in 32nd. 

Well done! 

Thanks Brian , even at 1/48 scale this is a tiny model , as a 1/32 would be really great.

Everyone loves a Mossie, occasionally a Tiger Moth , but sadly most other DH aircraft don't seem to get much of a mention in the kit world .

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Yeah, and I wish he would have been able to put out a whole run of them! An IM Chippy would be ideal but not likely. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see ICM or Roden tackle it. Robin did in fact rebuild the masters for his resin kit completely, improving it in many areas, but it's been at least a year since I spoke with him about it. Back then, he still had plans to release the kit, but I suspect COVID has played a large role in delaying it.

Kev

• 1 month later...

Lovely build - wonderful subject!

Would love to know if Chipmunks were ever landed aboard - will ask around on that one.

Building a couple of these kits for a friend with two Chippies - I think Airfix have done a grand job with this kit.

Like many of us, my first powered flight was in one - AEF flight in WP896, RAF Woodvale, 1980.

I seem to spend a lot of my time around Chipmunks these days - so a few relevant shots from a sortie out of Kemble in 2018 with one in Royal Navy colours:

48b427_e6479b3a68684fc18a9c88a0c568c60a~

48b427_ffae97eeea584bc2996b0e46222acfe2~

48b427_a7a222e228544bd3964320550653ff15~

I'd absolutely love a 1:32 kit!!

Blue skies!

Iain