1/16 WWII Kafer Conversion: Revell 1950's Beetle + Tamiya Kubelwagen Parts

Greg W

Reading Joe's (mustang1989) build of his 1/35 Ryefield Type82e Staff Car, got me thinking of something I started back in 2009. I took the 1/16 Revell split window Beetle kit and began to backdate it into a WWII Type 82 military Kafer, using parts from the Tamiya Kubelwagen. The plan was to make three vignettes, with the Eduard Schwimmwagen, Tamiya Kubelwagen and Revell early 1950's Beetle. Progress halted because I wanted to replace the molded shut grill above the deck lid with a photoetch one. Purchased a Micro Mark photoetching set, then realized that I was not up to the task of designing the necessary CAD drawing for the grill. Still hunting for the right person to do that! Anyway, a good start has been made, thought it would be fun to share it here for old times sake.

The black plastic is Revell, the tan parts are from the Tamiya European theater Kubelwagen kit. Just like the real thing, Kubelwagen running gear was grafted on to the standard Beetle in order to increase ground clearance. There was even a 4WD version.

The Tamiya kit also provided important interior parts specific to the Type 82 like the correct steering wheel, e brake and gear shift.

I sincerely apologize for the low quality of the pictures, taken a long time ago.    

eC8rVyy.jpg

Large grooves where chrome trim is supposed to go were filled with putty. Note the grill below the split window. I would like to open that up and replace it with a photoetch one.

RBT2G1y.jpg

The groove in the hood was so wide I glued a Evergreen strip in place before filling. 

EcQ9W2n.jpg

QU9h4fp.jpg

lAYJc9D.jpg

QfC2Bo4.jpg

D2P9Pk6.jpg

My kit had a damaged body line along one side of the roof. The thin flange above the door was built up with Mr. Surfacer 500. If supported by a tape dam, it can be built up in a controlled way.

LlDmF5K.jpg

LxH59VO.jpg

Overall, a nice kit but the wheel wells are funky. Sheet plastic is needed to close off large openings behind the front wheels that you can see through if left as is. 

q2I365d.jpg

Pu6Kkri.jpg

Edited by Greg W

4 hours ago, Uncarina said:

What a great project and start! 

Cheers,  Tom

Hi Tom, there is some dust on this project, gees... thanks for the comment!

49 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

I love this, and look forward to seeing lots more.

Thank you Kev, it will be finished someday. Do you know of anyone designing custom Photoetch for hire? That is what needs to happen to get this back on track. I would like a PE grill above the deck lid and a couple items for the hood and dash. Fortunately, all simple to design and make, nothing with folds or multiple parts. 

12 minutes ago, MikeA said:

The detail painting on the accessories to the figures really caught my eye. Very nice! Cool project with the VW.

Cheers,

Mike

The painting techniques we use on cockpits translate very well to equipment on figures but man, faces are another skill set all together! I am at a very basic level using oils. It might be a good idea to only attach the heads temporarily so I can replace them later on as I improve!   

4 hours ago, Greg W said:

Thank you Kev, it will be finished someday. Do you know of anyone designing custom Photoetch for hire? That is what needs to happen to get this back on track. I would like a PE grill above the deck lid and a couple items for the hood and dash. Fortunately, all simple to design and make, nothing with folds or multiple parts.

There is more than one thread here discussing that very issue. I'd seek out those threads, as they may provide the answers you desire.

On 10/6/2021 at 6:29 AM, mustang1989 said:

Wow!! Didn't realize that little build had the impact that it did. It would be really cool to see this one back in progress again Greg.

Your build was a treat to follow. Such a interesting subject for me. The first car I drove on the road was my Mothers 1973 Super Beetle and at the time, I had no knowledge of Volkswagen history. 

As soon as I can find someone to design artwork for photoetch details I want made, work will resume. I want to cut out the molded cooling vent above the deck lid. Cant do that until I have the metal grill to install, which is holding up the build.