ICM AH-1G 68-15012 "#1 Du Me Mi" - F Troop, 4th Cav, Phu Bai, 1972 (mostly) Finished!

Out2gtcha

Thanks guys, I just last night got a full black Mr surfacer 1500 coating on everything................Stealth snake! Looks pretty cool, but will leave the primer to harden off for a full day or two before messing with things, as Im sure I will have more corrective work to do on the primer coat before applying paint.

Cheers!

Brian-

I absolutely love your work on this so far. I had built the old 1/32 Revell kit as a kid, and while it was crap, I loved it. It was one of my most proud moments of my childhood modeling, being one of the first kits I completed all by myself. Thanks for the memories……….made me smile on a particularly sh!t day. 

You, sir, are one of my favorite modelers here, period. 

The other, other, Brian……..er, um…..

Thor     :ph34r:

Thanks B!  And thanks all for the comments it really is a great pick me up to keep the MoJo up. 

On today's episode of The Rocky and Bullwinkle AH-1G show, its either "Stealth Snake" or "Cobra on a Stick"!

This is round 3, with a 4th and maybe even 5th round of priming, sanding, filling and smoothing yet to come before paint.

I think she looks quite fetching in all satin black: 

IMG_20211014_132228658-X3.jpg

IMG_20211014_132236118-X3.jpg

IMG_20211014_132244464-X3.jpg

IMG_20211014_132251580-X3.jpg

IMG_20211014_132305369-X3.jpg

So far so good! 

Its a repetitive process (priming, drying, marking flaws, filling, drying, sanding,  rinse/repeat) but I think it ends up with the best paint surface when you can get most if not all the actual smoothing done in prep, with only some 3000+ finish sanding on the paint. 

Little ways to go on the nose, upper rear engine compartment, a sink mark on the front of the engine housing that I didnt notice until late and the pesky seam under the rear side of the tail boom but were getting there.

Cheers! 

45 minutes ago, bdthoresen said:

Brian-

I absolutely love your work on this so far. I had built the old 1/32 Revell kit as a kid, and while it was crap, I loved it. It was one of my most proud moments of my childhood modeling, being one of the first kits I completed all by myself. Thanks for the memories……….made me smile on a particularly sh!t day. 

You, sir, are one of my favorite modelers here, period. 

Thanks man, made my day, as I too have great memories of building the crappy Revell kit, with thrashed decals that silvered so bad it was crazy (applied right on the plastic with no paint IIRC!)...........but the thing was I really remember not caring about that at all, it was just a cool BIG Cobra. We didn't care about seams or flaws or silvering or details any of that, it was blis! 

Thanks guys.

I bet I primed that underside seam 2 or 3 times.......each time it came back slightly.

As soon as that last time happened, I figured something else was going on, so I very gently squeezed the rear boom sides, and sure enough, I could see that seam spreading and opening up each time I squeezed. Each time there was no noise or popping, so I knew I had popped the seam way earlier somehow.

Thought I was going crazy for a second!

So, knowing it was a popped seam I flooded that whole underside of the boom seam with quick evap Tamiya extra thin cement.

I'll let that harden off until tonight and try for round 5.

34 minutes ago, Pete G. said:

Glad you were able to spot the issue Brian!  Keep up the awesome work!

Thanks my friend!  Now I just need that freakin turret from Russia to show up!  Id love to be able to paint everything together, but Im betting Ill have to wait on the chin turret.

NBD really since its going to be the same OD as the rest of the main body, so could easily be painted later.