Revell Messerschmitt Bf 109-G6 late

duke_

3 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Beautiful work!  I love what you've done with the cockpit and the engine so far!  Be careful with the landing gear!  Revell's attachment design makes the leg susceptible to breakage near the base.  Synthetic Ordnance Works makes metal-reinforced landing gear legs for the Revell 109G kits, among others.  You can check them out on the Sponsors Board.

UHj7S7.png

Hi john , thank you very much for your comments!

i am aware of these products you mentioned and the. truth is that i was ready to order many sets ,  but i couldn't find any reseller in Europe,

Shipping from US to Greece is kind of complicated and has many additional fees and duty taxes, at least from my experience from past orders but i would definitely like to test them ..  

3 hours ago, duke_ said:

Hi john , thank you very much for your comments!

i am aware of these products you mentioned and the. truth is that i was ready to order many sets ,  but i couldn't find any reseller in Europe,

Shipping from US to Greece is kind of complicated and has many additional fees and duty taxes, at least from my experience from past orders but i would definitely like to test them ..  

The Eduard brass replacements are excellent and readily available for you if you decide to use them. They already have the brake lines molded in and are very easy to use. The only thing you have to do is sand down the mounting tabs to fit. 

On 7/6/2021 at 3:07 AM, duke_ said:

just a question about the rear compartment.. the revell includes a battery box instead the flat panel for the late version, on the other hand eduard cockpit does not include a battery box compartment of the same version ..

i am not an expert in 109 variants but is this right?  or only the AS versions had the battery box installed? there are so many variations and modifications ..

Hey Duke, the battery box was there because they had to move the battery to make room

for either the GM-1 or the MW-50 tank. This happened in early 1944 and was an easy mod

so you could see it on any G-6 including the G-6/AS. The AS (DB 605A  S(Sonder / Special)

had other mods that you can't do with the G-6 kit.

Hi Duke

The most impressive thing is the consistency of your approach where the engine, the cockpit and now even the wheels and tyres show serious attention to detail. You are one of the few who has got the tonal variation between the wheel and tyre right. Well done!

Kind regards,

Paul

5 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Hey Duke, the battery box was there because they had to move the battery to make room

for either the GM-1 or the MW-50 tank. This happened in early 1944 and was an easy mod

so you could see it on any G-6 including the G-6/AS. The AS (DB 605A  S(Sonder / Special)

had other mods that you can't do with the G-6 kit.

Thanks Mike! 

so, if i understand correctly every gG-6 ang G-6 /AS after 1944 with the two piece canopy had the battery box. right?

what about G-14. G-14/AS and  G-10?

i know that K-4 didn't have the battery box on the rear cockpit because it was a new model and not a modification 

Regards ,

Spyros

4 hours ago, Archimedes said:

Hi Duke

The most impressive thing is the consistency of your approach where the engine, the cockpit and now even the wheels and tyres show serious attention to detail. You are one of the few who has got the tonal variation between the wheel and tyre right. Well done!

Kind regards,

Paul

thank you for your comments Paul!

On 7/8/2021 at 2:15 AM, duke_ said:

... if i understand correctly every gG-6 ang G-6 /AS after 1944 with the two piece canopy had the battery box. right?

what about G-14. G-14/AS and  G-10?

Not every G-6 had the Erla Haube until late summer '43. Some earlier G-6s were retrofitted

so by '44 most G-6s did. Only Gs with GM-1 or MW-50 had the battery box.  All G-6 AS and 

later Gs had the Erla Haube , the difference being the lack of the cross bar on the top found

only on the ealier G-6s (and G-5s). See how this gets confusing ?

Edited by MikeMaben

11 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Not every G-6 had the Erla Haube until late summer '43. Some earlier G-6s were retrofitted

so by '44 most G-6s did. Only Gs with G-1 or MW-50 had the battery box.  All G-6 AS and 

later Gs had the Erla Haube , the difference being the lack of the cross bar on the top found

only on the ealier G-6s (and G-5s). See how this gets confusing ?

ok.... it s so confusing...

but thanks anyway! You seem to be very well informed on the subject!

also,  when i am looking for late G6 profiles i can find the same aircraft profile in many versions

with different tail rudder, different tail wheel , battery box or not.. 

every one has his own approach maybe due to the fact that most of them are from archive photos

and kind of difficult to identify ..?

Spyros

.. Hi guys!

found some time yesterday and made some progress..

Revi gunsight glued in place, canopy inside masked and painted..

i have also drilled a hole on each sidewall to add some cable for the cockpit lights 

Hh8qW1g.jpg   

B7y8R7j.jpg

nOnKvtU.jpgPA0QzxT.jpg

i have also managed to finish and install the main cable line on the landing gears..

lszux9Z.jpg.   

TrRNiAh.jpg 

thanks foe watching!

Edited by duke_

Hi, Spyros   

You are doing an exceptionally fine work on your model so far,  I'm impressed!   

Ok, My understanding of battery box it has at least 2 distinctions of shape and Erla Haube has at least 4 distinctions of type on the Bf109,  Yes, I know Erla Haube looks all that same some time, but there is a some difference between them.

On 7/13/2021 at 7:03 AM, duke_ said:

nOnKvtU.jpgPA0QzxT.jpg

Now I can see that you may want to depict retrofit Erla Haube, Which is one of relevant choices to me since your goal is late G-6.  

Matsu.

Edited by Shiba

11 hours ago, Shiba said:

Hi, Spyros   

You are doing an exceptionally fine work on your model so far,  I'm impressed!   

Ok, My understanding of battery box it has at least 2 distinctions of shape and Erla Haube has at least 4 distinctions of type on the Bf109,  Yes, I know Erla Haube looks all that same some time, but there is a some difference between them.

Now I can see that you may want to depict retrofit Erla Haube, Which is one of relevant choices to me since your goal is late G-6.  

Matsu.

Hi Matsu, i appreciate your comments! thank you for your input.

currently i am looking for some interesting paint schemes for late g6, then i will decide about the battery box or not depending on the plane..

S.D.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys ,

some progress here..

since i have no experience on riveting and maybe i am too lazy to search for blueprints and scale them down ,

i wanted to try the rivet decals from HGW, so i 've sanded down all the details from the control surfaces..

i have managed to apply all the decals in two days, they worked just fine.

Time consuming task..  i don't know if i will try that again,i am waiting for the final result

DyUTGWU.jpg.  3lEhkEF.jpg

4gQzruF.jpg 

HgH3o7i.jpg

so i could not resist to spray some paint and test the rivet decals  ...

the profile i chose to paint has different rlm 76 for the wing and the late war version for the fuselage

so there in no need to attach the wing on the fuselage...)

some preshading...

eWGiimP.jpg

...painting the balkenkreuz insignia....

ZOYXniu.jpg

..nothing like the real thing:))

ZXeIJra.jpg

now i have sanded the surface to see how the rivets look ..  not bad.. that's an interesting effect, 

ci7S5JJ.jpg 

thanks for watching!

Edited by duke_