HK "Nose Art" Lancaster B MkI R5868 QL/Q No. 83 Squadron

Greif8

Just a small update showing the wiring and installation of the H2S set.  The photos I looked at of the actual H2S show the wiring to be much less neatly routed, but I wanted to make sure I did not run into any fit problems so bundled it accordingly.  I only ran it as far as the floor behind the navigator's desk as one I have no idea where each of those cables plugged into at the other end, and two, you won't be able to see the ends when the fuselage is buttoned up.

IMG_3748

IMG_3750

The fit was pretty good and the wiring looks the part.  You can also see that I have touched up my work on the pilot's seat and the associated hydraulic lines.

IMG_3752

A very poor photo showing the wiring.  Out of focus on the left you can make out that I also repainted the pilot's seat cushions, and all the others as well, a more appropriate shade of green.  Thank you Wolf for pointing that out to me!

Ernest

I did a bit more scratch building making the navigator's desk lamp and the conduit cover/map and document holders on the side of the pilot's raised base.  I made the lamp out of evergreen rod and little sprue attachment pieces that I shaped and fit together.  The conduit cover and map/document holders were made out of evergreen sheet that I cut to size, shaped and assembled.  Though not perfect I think they turned out ok.  I am getting close to closing the fuselage up; maybe this weekend.

IMG_3753

The conduit and holder awaiting final smoothing out.

IMG_3754

The desk lamp, conduit cover and holders painted and installed. 

IMG_3763

Test fit of the port side, fortunately the fit is as it should be.  Equipment, pilot seat and Hydraulic lines/cables/wiring all look the part and everything seems to harmonize well.

IMG_3766

Slightly different angle.  I was relieved that the wiring for the H2S and the hydraulic lines all look as if they continue on toward terminal connections.  I was a bit worried about those!

IMG_3768

The radio compartment looks a bit bare.  I am considering running two or three wires from the radio equipment to add some interest.

10 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Very nicely done Ernest,

I’m looking forward to continued progress and what you’ve already done is awesome!

Cheers,

Wolf

Thank you Wolf!

Ernest

8 hours ago, Uncarina said:

It’s coming together really nicely, and your extra details really help bring it to life!

Cheers,  Tom

Thank you Tom, hopefully I can continue the momentum.

Ernest

I got a lot done yesterday evening at the bench.  Following are some photos showing what I accomplished.

IMG_3772

The completed IP.  The control levers were quite fiddly to get positioned.  Hopefully they remain in place!

IMG_3775

Overall shot of the interior before the starboard side of the fuselage is joined to it.  I added some maps on the navigator's table and some paperwork in a couple of the storage slot near the pilot's seat.

IMG_3779

The IP in position

IMG_3780

A much better photo than the one I posted earlier of the cabling for the H2S.

IMG_3781

The starboard fuselage side is in place.  Here is a close up of the cabling and connectors I scratched.  This will probably be the last time it can be seen as the railing will hide most of it, and of course once the fuselage is buttoned up very little will be seen in this area.

IMG_3784

Overall shot with starboard fuselage side joined with the interior.

IMG_3785

As this Lanc represents an earlier production aircraft I opted to not use the kit part that replicates the backing for the "Second Dicky" seat.  Earlier production Lancasters had a strap instead of a pad.  So I used a left over seatbelt strap from one of the many HGW seatbelt set leftovers I have.

IMG_3790

The yellow railing sure adds a splash of color!  

Hope you enjoyed the photo set; and please feel free to weigh in with corrections and/or criticism.  I am far from a Lancaster expert and probably goofed up a thing or two.

Ernest 

Ganz ausgezeichnet Ernest!

Exactly. I couldn’t have said it better. Eduard stepped up their game, IMHO, with regards to this instrument panel. Lately it seems that their instrument faces are very generic looking but those look very nice.

The rest of your work looks fantastic as well Ernest. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Wolf

It’s taking shape, both impressively good and fast! I remember fiddling with those 14 throttle levers: a real test of patience, but you pulled it off nicely. You might want to double check the access railing color. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the yellow color was a postwar addition for restored warbirds. I’ve been wrong before however!

Cheers,  Tom