The Best M4A2 Sherman Kit?

JerseyChris

Hi everyone, I’m halfway through reading the book “Tank Action” by Captain David Render, a fabulous book which tells the true story of a young Sherman tank commanders experiences from Normandy through to the end of the war. It’s inspired me to build his Sherman M4A2  “Aim” and I’d like to use the best kit I can lay my hands on for the task in hand! So my question is : in your learned opinions, what is the best Sherman kit out there? 

cheers

I would say the Tasca/Asuka Shermans are the best, although Dragon is a close second. 

What version of M4A2 did he command? Do you have a pic? That would help. There is early (direct vision), mid, and late, plus the large turreted 76mm versions. My guess would be mid or late, if he started in Normandy. I think DML might do the only late version.

FYI, I have a DML Sherman III/M4A2 mid production sitting on my disposal shelf right here next to me, with a bunch of aftermarket to create a early, El Alamein Sherman that can be used on it or another Sherman model. 

This is the one I have:

106078-10244-pristine.jpg

I have the book, and photos show the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry tanks to be Sherman Mk. III’s (with cast transmission covers) but M34A1 gun mantlets (not the M34 in the Dragon kit).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402495041568?hash=item5db692f020:g:0KUAAOSwWbBfiGGC

See option C here for Nottinghamshire (Sherwood Rangers) Yeomanry.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324651226794?hash=item4b96b896aa:g:H4YAAOSwOCVgYMVa

This would cure the Dragon kit’s M34 mantlet problem!

Edited by Rob Owens
Additional information found

No need for that. The Dragon kit includes both the M34 and M34A1 mantlets, so that's covered.

What I was more worried about is the driver's and MG gunner's hatch structures. The DML kit has the welded flat plate boxes. Was that on his tank, or were they cast and welded in?

If you are interested, Chris, I can do a recon and see what else I have in Shermans and Sherman AM. At one time I had a large cache of Formations stuff as well as Tiger Models and other stuff. Might be able to match it pretty good, if I knew what I needed.

Edit: So I took a closer look at the decal instruction sheet. It appears Nottinghamshire used the flat plate welded boxes, so maybe the DML kit is the right one. But is there a pic of his tank? Would feel better if it was all verified.

Just making sure you know about the best Sherman Tank Website for modeling, the Sherman Minutia site, http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/

Also, the book, Son of a Sherman, is a great resource. https://www.amazon.com/Son-Sherman-Vol-Development-Illustrated/dp/097737811X/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Son+of+a+Sherman+by+Laughlin&qid=1622430566&sr=8-1

I'm a little surprised its out of print and none are available used. I'm sure it can be found other places... 

I have always like the Asuka line of Sherman tanks all though I have not done an A2.  I have the Son of Sherman book, it was a product of Ampersand publishing which partially was sold to David Doyle books but I think he commented that he did not get the rights to everything.  So Son of Sherman may never come back again and we may have to await an all new publication.  I don't plan on letting go of my copy personally.  I think the Hunney cut book is actually more attainable as it has been reprinted, I have even seen it on sale at sprue brothers.

Also look up Tiger Model Designs, their sherman line of resin bits is unsurpassed.  You could basically build a complete sherman from their stuff.  Casting quality is high and they have almost everything imaginable.  

3 hours ago, cbk57 said:

I have always like the Asuka line of Sherman tanks all though I have not done an A2.  I have the Son of Sherman book, it was a product of Ampersand publishing which partially was sold to David Doyle books but I think he commented that he did not get the rights to everything.  So Son of Sherman may never come back again and we may have to await an all new publication.  I don't plan on letting go of my copy personally.  I think the Hunney cut book is actually more attainable as it has been reprinted, I have even seen it on sale at sprue brothers.

Also look up Tiger Model Designs, their sherman line of resin bits is unsurpassed.  You could basically build a complete sherman from their stuff.  Casting quality is high and they have almost everything imaginable.  

I liked Son of a Sherman so much I bought two copies. I have one still wrapped in shrink wrap... The other, a certain cat puked on, but its still in ok shape... 

20191209_174730-1600x900.jpg

On the Hunnicutt Sherman book, it really is a must have, and the reprint is ok, but it drove down the price of the earlier printings. The earlier printings are much better, with much higher quality pictures.  Steven Zaloga's Armored Thunderbolt is also a good history on the Sherman. 

Just stay away from Death Traps and anyone who uses it as a reference. 

When I was building Kits, I went with Dragon cause this fit the budget, and came with lots of extra parts, they are a lot of work though. Asuka seems like they put out a real nice kit. 

4 hours ago, JerseyChris said:

Ray, I just tried to pm you but received a message saying you can’t receive messages. Perhaps your inbox is full?

You were right!

I cleared out a bunch, so go ahead and PM away.

17 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

No need for that. The Dragon kit includes both the M34 and M34A1 mantlets, so that's covered.

What I was more worried about is the driver's and MG gunner's hatch structures. The DML kit has the welded flat plate boxes. Was that on his tank, or were they cast and welded in?

If you are interested, Chris, I can do a recon and see what else I have in Shermans and Sherman AM. At one time I had a large cache of Formations stuff as well as Tiger Models and other stuff. Might be able to match it pretty good, if I knew what I needed.

Edit: So I took a closer look at the decal instruction sheet. It appears Nottinghamshire used the flat plate welded boxes, so maybe the DML kit is the right one. But is there a pic of his tank? Would feel better if it was all verified.

There’s no clear photo of Render’s tank, but in photos of unit’s tanks where the glacis is clear, the driver’s/codrivers hoods are cast & welded, and one HQ Squadron tank (side view only, unfortunately) is identified as an M4A2. Also steel bar tracks seem to predominate

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/the-british-crew-of-an-m4a2-sherman-tank-t146929-named-akilla-of-a-squadron-1st-nottinghamshire-sherwood-rangers--306807793362719239/

Edited by Rob Owens
More info

39 minutes ago, Rob Owens said:

There’s no clear photo of Render’s tank, but in photos of unit’s tanks where the glacis is clear, the driver’s/codrivers hoods are cast & welded, and one HQ Squadron tank (side view only, unfortunately) is identified as an M4A2. Also steel bar tracks seem to predominate

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/the-british-crew-of-an-m4a2-sherman-tank-t146929-named-akilla-of-a-squadron-1st-nottinghamshire-sherwood-rangers--306807793362719239/

Thanks for the info. Could you tell which type of steel bar? 3-bar cleat or the British version of the steel chevron with the 3 bolts?