The Best M4A2 Sherman Kit?

JerseyChris

On 5/31/2021 at 1:21 PM, Rob Owens said:

There’s no clear photo of Render’s tank, but in photos of unit’s tanks where the glacis is clear, the driver’s/codrivers hoods are cast & welded, and one HQ Squadron tank (side view only, unfortunately) is identified as an M4A2. Also steel bar tracks seem to predominate

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/the-british-crew-of-an-m4a2-sherman-tank-t146929-named-akilla-of-a-squadron-1st-nottinghamshire-sherwood-rangers--306807793362719239/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/306807793362719239/

I'm a little confused here, because these do not look like three bar cleat tracks. 

after a quick search, the only UK Sherman with extended end connectors was this one from Sherman Minutia. 

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/manufacturer/m4a2incombat/m4a2_66.jpg

And one DD tank has them and the other does not.   

They are kinda hard to mistake too. 

50354_SN_on_diff.jpg

(Another image from Sherman Minutia. )

After going through British Sherman Tanks by Oliver, extended end connectors seem to be the rare exception, and not at all common. 

The tracks look like T74s, or maybe T62 or T54. Also, I see no extended end connectors on the image, and in general extended end connectors on Commonwealth Shermans seems rare. 

VVSS-Track1-IMPROVED-f13-14-ccflat-xx.pn

VVSS-Tracks-and-Growser-IMPROVED-f13-13f

Sorry the track images above suck. These were some of the first ones I tried to clean up. 

Edited by JeepsGunsTanks

Here's my Asuka Sherman III that I did last year. 

IMG_20200713_155735-600x450.jpg

IMG_20200713_155611-600x450.jpg

The build didn't have any issues, completely straightforward and fun. 

As for duckbill extenders, the Canadians were definitely fond of using them. This is my Rye Field Firefly with the duckbills and a bit of extra track. Note that were a couple styles of duckbills. 

PXL_20210227_012526654-600x450.jpg

Carl

5 hours ago, Barry said:

I'm planning a USMC M4A2 using the Dragon 1/6" kit. :D

Compared to a 1/16" Turret. :blink:

Barry

Man, that's sizable (pun intended)project. Needs conversion to an A2, plus  steel chevron tracks and solid drive sprocket, if you want to be 100% accurate. In that scale, massive! 

On 6/1/2021 at 8:34 PM, LSP_Ray said:

Oh, they used them:

British_Sherman_Firefly_Namur_Bat_Bulge.

I don't have any clear pics I could find of Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry tanks, however.

That’s the same Firefly photo (though colorized) on the cover of Render’s book. . .