Pacific Coast Models Hawker Tempest

dennismcc

7 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Thank you for that and no the PCM kit is a very different animal to the Revell/Special Hobby kit which is a lot newer and a better kit, I've got the Special Hobby version in the stash. Unless you like ancient 60's and 70's kits I would leave the PCM kit alone.

However I am very pleased with the result, it looks very much like a Tempest, graceful and brutal looking at the same time, purposeful may be a better description.

Cheers

Dennis

You SHOULD be very pleased.  Amazing finish.  I really like this build.  Great job. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly there, the wing tanks have been giving me grief, though it's my own fault as usual, it took a while to get the clear fairing frame decals in place, then I had to paint the areas were I was short of one decal.

Then I decided to dirty the tanks up a bit so I held the tanks with clamps on the clear fairings while I did this.

Fair enough, it went well but when I removed the clamps I also removed the decals that I had so carefully applied, so out with the paint again, not a great job but it will have to do, it's shame as the PCM decals for the tanks are better than the HGW Wet transfer versions.

I also decided to drill the wing and fit pins to the tanks to fit them to the wings rather than just glue them to the wing, it's not accurate as the fuel pipes were at the rear of the tank on the real thing but never mind.

I don't normally do things under wings but the Tempest tanks are so much a part of the Tempest story that I had to fit them.

I also realised that I had forgotten to remove the masking disc from the various underside lamps so it was nice to remove them and see the finished results.

spacer.png

And the corresponding holes in the wing.

spacer.png

Then the radio aerial, it is showing on the photo as black but it's steel in real life as I believe they were stainless on the real thing.

spacer.png

And the gun barrels, for this I used drilled out plastic rod painted with metallic black.

spacer.png

Test fit of a tank, not the greatest fit, but no one will see it apart from me, and you lot.

spacer.png

And the IFF aerial, again painted with steel

spacer.png

And the semi finished state it is in at the moment, I am rather pleased with the result as it looked a bit iffy if I would finish it at all at the start of the build.

spacer.png

That's about it, I'm just waiting for the varnish on the other tank to dry before I can fit it and then I'll take some more photos for the RFI.

Cheers

Dennis

9 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Very nice, clean....almost result!:clap2:

5 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

Again, i really like this build.  Very nice. 

Thanks guys, all done now just finding the time to get some photos taken for the RFI.

Cheers

Dennis

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

That's come out beautifully! Love to see these PCM kits in their realised glory. I hadn't realised they had clear bomb fairings.

Good luck with the Reggiane - one of my most challenging kit builds but it does make for a very impressive finished product.

Cheers,

13 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Lovely build Dennis!    I think PCM put out some truly lovely subjects, and this one really came out nice. 

Thank you, it was a challenging build but very satisfying in the end, and yes PCM certainly put out some very impressive subjects that no one else had kitted, a lot of them are still the only kits in town.

11 hours ago, MikeA said:

That's come out beautifully! Love to see these PCM kits in their realised glory. I hadn't realised they had clear bomb fairings.

Good luck with the Reggiane - one of my most challenging kit builds but it does make for a very impressive finished product.

Cheers,

Thank  you Mike and yes it did turn out nice in the end, apparently the Air Ministry was not impressed with Hawker designing their own wing tanks as they had lots of their own tanks in production.

The Reggiane will I am sure be as challenging as the other PCM kits and I have re read a few build threads so hopefully I will be prepared for it. I have quite a collection of their kits and it is no use leaving them mouldering in the stash, better to build them.

8RGJKm.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

• 3 months later...
On 5/14/2022 at 5:44 PM, dennismcc said:

Thank you, it was a challenging build but very satisfying in the end, and yes PCM certainly put out some very impressive subjects that no one else had kitted, a lot of them are still the only kits in town.

Thank  you Mike and yes it did turn out nice in the end, apparently the Air Ministry was not impressed with Hawker designing their own wing tanks as they had lots of their own tanks in production.

The Reggiane will I am sure be as challenging as the other PCM kits and I have re read a few build threads so hopefully I will be prepared for it. I have quite a collection of their kits and it is no use leaving them mouldering in the stash, better to build them.

8RGJKm.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Lovely work, Dennis. I'm building this now. Why were the fairings made clear? Apologies if it's already been answered.

6 hours ago, Suresh Nathan said:

Lovely work, Dennis. I'm building this now. Why were the fairings made clear? Apologies if it's already been answered.

Good on you building a PCM kit, there must be lots of tham sitting in stashes across the modelling world, they are challenging but generally build up into nice representations of the real thing, I'm on the finishing stages of their Spitfire IX at the moment and it's looking good despite my howlers.

Never seen it mentioned about the reasoning behind the clear fairings but it would seem logical for leak checking and ensuring that the connections were made up correctly, I'll have to ask over on Britmodeller maybe the Typhoon and Tempest expert Chris Thomas has an answer.

Cheers

Dennis