1/32 Mirage IIID2Z conversion on the Italeri Mirage IIIE

Renegade

Hi guys,

Thanks for the kind words and support :)

Another busy week, and a bit of progress on the IIID2Z after lots and lots of sanding, priming and scribing panel lines. All the masters are done, except for the vac-form parts, which require some refinement before I'll be making their molds.

If all goes well, the molds should be ready in the next few days, and the first test casting can be done. Always a very nervous, yet exciting experience to do the test fitting of the first resin parts... :frantic:

hsMLSmF.jpg

Cheers,

John

8 minutes ago, alain11 said:

Hi

just one question about the clear parts : vaccu  or resin cast ?  second one , can we use the kit windscreen ?:hmmm:

Alain 

Alain, it will be vac-form, and the Italeri kit windscreen won't fit due to it's odd dimensions. 

okay , thank you for the reply !!! well , I am not " enthusiast " about the vac clear parts , it's always tricky to cut it off the sprue , especially the windscreen which has a "tight curve" .......as well the canopy :unsure:,  but , that can works !!!!

Alain

Alain, many modelers try to cut vac-form parts to fit. I used to be scared of it too, but then I discovered to cut until almost 1mm away from the part, and then using wet&dry sandpaper to remove the rest to get a snug fit. Cutting it all the way is too risky. ;)

On 2/28/2021 at 5:50 PM, alain11 said:

I have already experimented such vacu parts , for now , I 've been lucky , it has always worked fine , a bit stressful though :wacko:.. that is why , I " prefer " resin cast clear parts 

Alain, I do not have the equipment to make resin cast canopies, and they are very time consuming to make as well as costing more to make.

Therefore, I stick to making good old vac-form canopies.

Anyway, most of this project is done, and just the vac-form masters for the three clear parts to be completed. The molds for the resin parts have been made, and a test cast was successful :)

021BUv1.jpg

Cheers,

John

So, vac-form canopy masters update. This is definitely not my favourite part of the build... :unsure:

Once the overall shape was looking good and fitted nicely on the cockpit, the adding of the framework was started. Strips of thin plastic card was used. It's still rough work so far, and some Tamiya primer sprayed to see where mistakes have to be addressed, but it's starting to look the part.

NACNO3Q.jpg

On 2/28/2021 at 10:47 AM, alain11 said:

Hi

just one question about the clear parts : vaccu  or resin cast ?  second one , can we use the kit windscreen ?:hmmm:

Alain 

Alain, just quickly back to your post from the other day regarding using the Italeri windscreen. It doesn't fit too bad with some fiddling and adjusting, but it is slightly bigger and wider. The big issue with the windscreen is the size of the clear parts. Italeri made a blunder in making it about 4mm too short! :mental:. Not much one can do to fix that.

It cannot be unseen... :closedeyes:

36GgYRb.jpg

Cheers,

John

20 hours ago, Renegade said:

So, vac-form canopy masters update. This is definitely not my favourite part of the build... :unsure:

Once the overall shape was looking good and fitted nicely on the cockpit, the adding of the framework was started. Strips of thin plastic card was used. It's still rough work so far, and some Tamiya primer sprayed to see where mistakes have to be addressed, but it's starting to look the part.

NACNO3Q.jpg

Alain, just quickly back to your post from the other day regarding using the Italeri windscreen. It doesn't fit too bad with some fiddling and adjusting, but it is slightly bigger and wider. The big issue with the windscreen is the size of the clear parts. Italeri made a blunder in making it about 4mm too short! :mental:. Not much one can do to fix that.

It cannot be unseen... :closedeyes:

36GgYRb.jpg

Cheers,

John

John, “ Rough work “ ? You’re joking, right? Excellent  result!

• 2 weeks later...