Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I just bought a Tamiya 1/32 phantom. After reading the above I feel nervous. :mellow:

 

I have the Tamiya 1/48 F-14D. It's superb. I expect the new Tamiya phantom will exhibit the same high standard. Perhaps even more advanced. Tamiya's latest 1/48 kits have been incredible. The 109G6, Spitfire Mk. I, P-38, F-14D, 2 new zeros.

 

This kit is going to be awesome.

Edited by mpk
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Chek said:

The CAD renders look fantastic. I really can't see what aftermarket add-ons could be considered necessary.

I've yet to see any decent looking injection-molded MB ejection seats.    IMO, resin is the only way to replicate all the straps and small fittings.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's really interesting to see how people feel about recent Tamyia LSPs.

 

I built every Tam LSP kit since the Spitfire (and I also got the F-16). I was so amazed by the Merling engin that I left it open. Now I regret because it break the nice shape of the spit and I might on day by a new one do build it with engine cowls on.

 

When I built the mossie, I wanted to have one engine visible and one close. In the end there was so many parts to assemble and paint that I got fed up and closed both engines.

 

It's a bit like with the ZM super wing series kits (I built 2 skyraiders) : way to much details resulting in a waste of plastic.

 

I really love the way Tamyia kits are engineered : there are close to no shape mistake, the fit is close to perfection. But yeah, a bit less parts would not arm. And that's probably what makes the price go up and up.

 

That being said, if they do a 1/48 F-4, oh well I'll be forced to build another F-4 :D

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/01/2021 at 6:39 PM, LSP_Ron said:

I suspect the Mossie was a failure.  I don't think it sold well. My LHS brought in several. I bought one of them but the others just sat and sat.

 

I started my build with great excitement and have it about 80% done but it's now sat on the shelf of doom for at least 18 months or longer.  I burnt out on it.

 

I think Wolf Buddee did two.  I don't think his is finished yet either and about the same time period. 

 

The Tamiya Mossie can be a real mojo killer. Mine stalled for a year before I finished it. Was happy I got it done as it is a beautiful kit.

 

My HK B-25s got binned after I realized I was never going to finish them. I shouldn't have tried building both of them at the same time. Bad idea. 

 

And yet, I've got two Lancs, a B-17 and a B-24 in the stash and bought two more Tamiya Mossies. Learning from what happened with the B-25s, I'm going for OOB with less AM and hopefully therefore less complicated builds.  

 

We'll see how I make out. 

 

Carl

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I see absolutely no reason to go all Gonzo on tricking out every aspect of the Big Mosquito, so I'll concentrate much more on what I hope will ultimately be an interesting overall depiction of my chosen scheme, without all the fancy stuff. New wheels/tires, probably some Master MGs, and that's about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

I see absolutely no reason to go all Gonzo on tricking out every aspect of the Big Mosquito, so I'll concentrate much more on what I hope will ultimately be an interesting overall depiction of my chosen scheme, without all the fancy stuff. New wheels/tires, probably some Master MGs, and that's about it.

I have to ask, why would you want to replace the wheels on the Tamiya Mossie?  Unlike the previous kits they put out, the wheels on the Mosquito are fantastic. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BloorwestSiR said:

K2, that's pretty much the approach I've decided on for my future multi engine kits. 

 

It makes perfect sense to me. When I was 25, I didn't hesitate about such things. Now that I'm older, spending countless hours on things that never really made any difference to me to begin with, seems very unwise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John1 said:

I have to ask, why would you want to replace the wheels on the Tamiya Mossie?  Unlike the previous kits they put out, the wheels on the Mosquito are fantastic. 

 

Mostly due to the funky interlocking tread areas, which I imagine will leave plenty of seams to mess with, and I'd rather not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BloorwestSiR said:

 

The Tamiya Mossie can be a real mojo killer. Mine stalled for a year before I finished it. Was happy I got it done as it is a beautiful kit.

 

My HK B-25s got binned after I realized I was never going to finish them. I shouldn't have tried building both of them at the same time. Bad idea. 

 

And yet, I've got two Lancs, a B-17 and a B-24 in the stash and bought two more Tamiya Mossies. Learning from what happened with the B-25s, I'm going for OOB with less AM and hopefully therefore less complicated builds.  

 

We'll see how I make out. 

 

Carl

 

 

 

Cough cough*T-33* cough cough

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

 

It makes perfect sense to me. When I was 25, I didn't hesitate about such things. Now that I'm older, spending countless hours on things that never really made any difference to me to begin with, seems very unwise.

 

Older and wiser. I've been saying this for a while, for me, Hasegawa has it right. Well engineered kits with fit, detail good enough for me, but a price point where the mad detailers could go nuts on the kit with aftermarket/scratch building and not feel bad about it.

 

Don

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, John1 said:

I've yet to see any decent looking injection-molded MB ejection seats.    IMO, resin is the only way to replicate all the straps and small fittings.  

 

Well objectively that's patently untrue. The masters have to be created before they can be moulded.

And a lot can be done with a good basis and a healthy dose of kidology.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...